Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
It'd be pretty sweet to lose all those red states that just suck money from the blue states via federal taxes...
Irony .. Texas wanders back and forth across the line when it comes to federal money. Like any other State, sometimes it gets more and sometimes it gets less, year by year ..

Your Red/Blue State talking point doesn't wash, in that the States don't ever decide to get more, or ever choose to mooch .. It's the federal government that decides who gets what.

Last year, Texas got more money back than it paid in because of the *forced stimulus .. and this year, Texan's will get less back than they paid in ...

If we lost every State that got more back than it paid in (according to you), we would, eventually, in the end, have no States left ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
well Texas congressman and future president Ron Paul is considering a lawsuit challenging the unconstitutional "supercommittee".

Paul hints at legal challenge to debt 'supercommittee' - The Hill's Floor Action
The only thing Ron Paul is going to be president of is his local Elks or Kiwanis Club. The lawsuit is nothing more than a politicial grandstandnig event to pander to people that are too ignorant ot understand that there is NOTHING in the Consstitution that forbids an agreement among people in Congress to meet and come up with recommendations that the rest of Congress must meet and vote on before it has any possibility to become law.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
What gives with all you Texas haters out there? We all know there are only two kinds of people; Those from Texas and those that wish they were.
Not me. I have a SIL there and have never visited her.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
What gives with all you Texas haters out there? We all know there are only two kinds of people; Those from Texas and those that wish they were.
Keep eating YOUR Texas toast.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Why is it that Texans can PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG while talking Treason and Secession

Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 PM

760 posts, read 685,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why is it that Texans can PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG while talking Treason and Secession
Ask Perry.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times
I say if Texas want to go....let them. Good riddance.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
I was born and raised in Texas. I left 30 years ago. Even as a child I remember some people constantly talking secession. They're still talking.

To be honest if anyone were to secede I suspect it would be the Pacific Northwest... They would need California to pull it off. At the very least they'd need Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. A lot of Northern Californians would love to split from SoCal but would need the rest of the PNW to pull it off. While the folks in Washington and Oregon wouldn't be all that thrilled, the clout of nearly 40 million (assuming they get SoCal as well) people is substantial.

This is all hypothetical. There is a reason the military has a policy of stationing soldiers anywhere EXCEPT their home state. If any state secedes, it will need the might and loyalty of whatever military bases and personnel happen to be situated in their borders. Since very few of any bases populations are local, gaining their support is unlikely.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Can Texas Secede?
Yes. There is nothing in the US Constitution that bars secession.

In fact, under the 10th Amendment...

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

...it is the right of a State, since the Constitution does not specifically or implicitly deny the right of secession.

Lincoln illegally used force to [quote] "preserve this union" but that is not possible in today's environment.

Secession would be just and proper if a State holds a referendum and at least a 2/3 majority support it. I suppose some would argue that a 3/4 majority is necessary, and I think that has merit as well.

If you go the extra-constitutionality route, then clearly the Stamp Act Congress, the Continental Congress and the Declaration of Independence grant that right (some presidents and the Supreme Court have used extra-constitutionality to justify their actions -- most recently Bush the Younger regarding habeas corpus -- but the problem with extra-constitutionality is the federal government can't cherry pick the documents it wants to use -- in other words you can't use the Stamp Act Congress to justify claims then turn around and say a State cannot cite the Stamp Act Congress).

Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Secession isn't treason. However, I could make a case that this super Congress is. Rather than talking about secession, we should be talking about indictments for negligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies