Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
I really hope you know I was being sarcastic, which I know doesn't work well on internet forums.
You were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
President Obama wanted $4 tillion dollars in deficit reduction with $1 trillion in tax revenue increases and $3 trillion in spending cuts. John Boehner walked away from the deal because he REFUSED to consider revenue increases.

What did we end up with after Mitch McConnell freely admitted "taking hostages" in terms of willing to compromise the full faith and credit of the United States as a negotiiating ploy to get a deal passed with no tax revenue increases? A deal that puts $1 trillion cuts on the table right away and a negotiated settlment on another $1 to $1.4 trillion. The Republican Party walked away from a $4 trillion dollar debt reduction deal for one that at it's best will only provide $2.4 trillion in debt reduction.

President Barack Obama

Speaker of the House Johen Boeher
The Republicans are in really deep denial over all this. I just don't get it.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
What is with the GOP mantra that the balanced budget must only include cutting spending?

Even the Republican Senators know that there are tax loopholes and subsidies that exist for companies that are making record profits.
They don't want to touch them as they would rather just go after SS and medicare.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Well...Balanced means just that...even weight on both sides.
The Republicans said NO to revenues increases, but YES to cuts.
Doesn't sound balanced to me.
The DEms seemed to me to be the winners since they got their extension of the credit card and didn't have to come up with any cuts. Did they say anything about cuts? I failed to hear it if they did.

Do you know that the law was illegally proposed and illegally passed without the Tea Party people you want thrown out of the House voting for it. How in hell is it their fault when they didn't defeat that law? No answer, I bet.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't think so either... I think it has to be bigger but I am afraid to offer solutions that are really going to hurt America... I can't understand how anyone can say they want to increase the SS age, they are basically saying "I hope you die before you can collect SS.".... How can they cut Medicare benefits when seniors are already on fixed incomes?
It was the reality when the program started. Very few people collected for 20 years. Now it is routine. The Ryan plan accounts for the way people have planned for their retirements. His plan only affects those 55 or younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How can they build a BILLION dollar base in Iraq and can't house our homeless? I just don't get it... Why are we telling poor people to live in cold climates when they can't afford their heating bill? Then Obama wants to give tax credits to people who hire Veterans... huh? Does he think that has long-term benefits anywhere? Does he think that our unemployment numbers are low?? There are people everywhere looking for jobs... sometimes, I just think he doesn't think things through at all...
I don't think anyone is suggesting throwing anyone into the cold. But raising the retirement age, means testing SS, making welfare uncomfortable for recipients by drug testing etc, are hardly onerous, I am also for ending the war on dugs. It is a complete waste and we are missing a revenue stream.

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
And therein lies the problem. GOP don't want to touch the possibility of increasing taxes while the Democrats don't want to touch entitlement.

I dislike both parties, but I dislike the GOP even more.
Presdient Obama clearly stated he was willing to put Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security cuts on the table. Many Democrats in Congress criticized him.

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
and lets not forget the TP's in congress that kept saying they wanted the US to default and not raise the debt ceiling no matter what. You don't think that has any thing to do with it?
AS a lender what should a banker do if a person consistently missed payments and kept asking to refinance? What does a good bartender do when a drunk patron begs for more alcohol? Parents and friends to someone on drugs? Credit card companies to shopaholics? Kids that continually raid the cookie jar?

Does any of this mean anything? Tell me you can understand more than just the top most layer of reasoning.

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Post Mortems and autopsies are only to find out what the patient died of! You're not there yet; now is the time for you to SCREAM at your rep's until their *******s pucker!

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
They don't want to touch them as they would rather just go after SS and medicare.
Are the Republicans so dumb as to not realize the population that votes the most are seniors? Why would you want to cut their medicare? I don't get it?
The GOP makes NO SENSE on their politics. This party has never been the same Since Reagan.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
and lets not forget the TP's in congress that kept saying they wanted the US to default and not raise the debt ceiling no matter what. You don't think that has any thing to do with it?
They didn't defeat the improperly written and voted on bill. How is that their fault. We got the bill that the two major parties wanted and it failed to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies