Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Applause for you. Partisan bickering is not going to help our country.
Do you have amnesia in regards to your posting history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Do you have amnesia in regards to your posting history?
Part of change is changing. I hope everyone takes the same approach. I applaud anyone that sets aside partisan nonsense to take up the common good. That cliff everyone has been using as a metaphore, is now a reality.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Part of change is changing. I hope everyone takes the same approach. I applaud anyone that sets aside partisan nonsense to take up the common good. That cliff everyone has been using as a metaphore, is now a reality.
That's nice of you, but I consider that a one post wonder.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
That's nice of you, but I consider that a one post wonder.
For a second there I thought you were justifying an accusation of intolerance, with intolerance.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I "got it" in 2008 and adjusted accordingly the more I found out about the corruption in our systems.
And I watched as nothing got fixed. The people who created this mess are still in power, still running the show. They say they are the ones to fix it yet in 3 years have not.

All we've done is print money and bail out entities. That is not fixing anything.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:41 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Couldn't we start a class action lawsuit against current and former elected officials, going back 40 years at least and hold them accountable for running the country into the ground? If I have to pay thousands more dollars in taxes to pay for their waste, misfeasance, malfeasance, I want them to be financially on the hook for it.. We could start tossing people in jail( up to and including POTUS), stripping them of pensions, make them pay huge fines and settlements. And then take it one step further and dissolve both the democrat and republican party holding them both responsible. You could put enough of a lien against them both that they'd never be able to afford even one radio ad for any candidate. At least lobbying would cease to exist at least until the new parties and new power brokers are established.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
With the downgrade of the US credit rating comes a swift slap in the face. Our government played games with accounting, burrowing, spending, taxing, regulating, and most of all with us. All of us.

The partisan rhetoric (from both sides) is fine when everything is all AAAish, unemployment is only 9.1% and each person owes some fictionally absurd amount of debt heaped on us by our inept officials. We spend hours going back and forth, trying to reason with each other, with marginal results most of the time.

But, something changed with this slap in the face. This time the world is serious about being pissed off at the USA. We've become the bullies in the school yard and the cops of the world. What usually happens to the bully in the schoolyard?

We've done exactly the same thing that brought down Rome -- spent ourselves into oblivian. And some can still reason that we should be spending more? Are they on crack? If you took that personally I'm sorry about your drug habit.

My point is this. We can either maintain the ignorance of fact, or reason that we better get our sh^T together. I mean all of us, left right, center, black, white, brown and green. If we don't, all of this will be history.

This was just a shot over the bow. Partisan garbage aside, get a clue.
Next stop Greece.
Too true.

JPMorgan Expert: Debt Downgrade Would Cost U.S. $100 Billion - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Look to Congress for solutions? Compare Sen Coons and Rep Boehner's response. Clearly a divide in understanding of what needs to happen.

Coons tweet - "When are we going to come together on this? Democrats and Republicans simply must share in sacrifice or this won't be our last downgrade."

Boehner's response - http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-mone...ames-democrats

Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Applause for you. Partisan bickering is not going to help our country. We need to circle our wagons as a nation and do what we can for the future of this country.
We're too divided a nation for that. If you don't believe me just watch the partisan bickering on this board and the news shows this weekend.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The blame should be on the tea party. Boehner and Obama were willing to upset their bases and go for a grand bargain to reduce our debt, but the tea party balked and now we are feeling the pain.

2012 can't get here quick enough.
I rest my case for those of you who wanted us to "come together" for the good of the nation. The fact of the matter is we're hopelessly divided as a nation.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Applause for you. Partisan bickering is not going to help our country. We need to circle our wagons as a nation and do what we can for the future of this country.
Yeah but the downgrade didn't happen when they were "bickering" it happened when they compromised and raised the debt yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies