Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerI View Post
I think the key thing to remember is what life was like before and after entitlements. There is simply no record of anyone starving or huge homeless amounts or people dying in the streets prior to the 1964 Food Stamp Act or Medicare/Medicaid which both came out at the same time.

After they came out we began a debt which has never stopped increasing in every year since. But the bigger damage is in the social fabric with people more dependent on goverment they look less to themselves or in desperate cases to voluntary charity. The number of single mothers greatly increased in the 60's as many find they no longer need a man to provide for them and have governement to do enough for them instead.
Crime also started having much larger yearly increases right at that time:
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2009

So I would eliminate them gradually and I think we would do better in nearly every way if we did.
Dependence breeds more dependence, after those entitlement programs came the pill bill and now Obamacare, in other countries they propose universal daycare. It never ends, not even with crushing debt and obvious societal degradation and never will until we simply say that people are responsible for themselves and mean it.

If there is one thing that defines my beliefs and why I became a Conservative it's that I simply realized that though the left have good intentions it simply is not possible for people ever to become more self-dependent and responsible by continually making them more dependent on the responsibility of government.
excellent post. Huckabee was a guest today on Lou Dobbs. They were talking about Philly and the flash mobs. Huckabee (who I generally don't like) addressed the problem of the degradation of marriage and families. Now 75% of children are born into black communities out of wedlock. 40 some percent in other communities. You are absolutely right, gov't has taken the place of fathers. I was thinking today about all the women like myself that have not chosen to be mothers. Why should a man marry me, If I am not going to bring his children into the world? I truly believe a mans role is to be a father, husband, head of household and a womans is to be a mother, to nurture and care for the family. That is when we are at our best. That is the ideal foundation of stability for the next generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM

367 posts, read 622,030 times
Medicare is a good thing.
Welfare needs to be tightly regulated (one government regulation we could use), I understand there needs to be some form of welfare, but the fact is that too many people on it don't try. If you are a single mother and you have two kids you should not be aloud to have more children while on welfare until you find a job. If you are single, you get 18 months of welfare before it gets stripped from you if you don't find a job. If you have a job the government will review your job and see if you still need some assistance. YOU MUST BE DRUG TESTED! and not just once, randomly after the initial test.

Social Security should go back to what it was supposed to be, and optional trust fund that isn't taxed and the money can't be spent by the government.

As for taxes, flat tax or a national sales tax. The **** of it is that the people who make 20% of the money in this country pay 40%+ of the income tax. People shouldn't be reprimanded for being successful. This country is in the ****ter, because liberals allow, no wait, WANT mediocrity so they have people on the government doll and keep a strong voting base.

Get rid of all the damn federal departments (at least most), like the department of education, it has done nothing, our schools are a mess. Let each district regulate what goes on in the schools, and speaking of schools teachers raises/salaries should be performance based, not based on tenure. I was in education and I saw too many teachers do absolutely nothing.

I could go on for a day and a half!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,680 times
The Federal Government does only one thing half way good and that is to fight wars. That is what it should stick to doing and leave the rest to private enterprise.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Yes. Private sector charities, churches, and other organizations can help the needy much more efficiently than the government.
How much are YOU going to contribute?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 AM

5 posts, read 3,101 times
Conservatives hate all entitlement programs because makes people co-dependent excuses they want a perfect libertarian world. I agree social security has been abused by politicians as slush fund but how come no conservatives want to put and auditing amendment on social security they rather be quick to cut it.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by express619 View Post
Conservatives hate all entitlement programs because makes people co-dependent excuses they want a perfect libertarian world. I agree social security has been abused by politicians as slush fund but how come no conservatives want to put and auditing amendment on social security they rather be quick to cut it.
Another lie from the left.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Another lie from the left.
Indeed. Constitutional conservatives want social spending to be returned to where it belongs - the States. The federal government usurped that power away from the States, and we let them. The federal government has no constitutional authority to spend a single penny on any social program, the States do.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Indeed. Constitutional conservatives want social spending to be returned to where it belongs - the States. The federal government usurped that power away from the States, and we let them. The federal government has no constitutional authority to spend a single penny on any social program, the States do.
Exactamundo.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerI View Post
I think the key thing to remember is what life was like before and after entitlements. There is simply no record of anyone starving or huge homeless amounts or people dying in the streets prior to the 1964 Food Stamp Act or Medicare/Medicaid which both came out at the same time.

After they came out we began a debt which has never stopped increasing in every year since. But the bigger damage is in the social fabric with people more dependent on goverment they look less to themselves or in desperate cases to voluntary charity. The number of single mothers greatly increased in the 60's as many find they no longer need a man to provide for them and have governement to do enough for them instead.
Crime also started having much larger yearly increases right at that time:
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2009

So I would eliminate them gradually and I think we would do better in nearly every way if we did.
Dependence breeds more dependence, after those entitlement programs came the pill bill and now Obamacare, in other countries they propose universal daycare. It never ends, not even with crushing debt and obvious societal degradation and never will until we simply say that people are responsible for themselves and mean it.

If there is one thing that defines my beliefs and why I became a Conservative it's that I simply realized that though the left have good intentions it simply is not possible for people ever to become more self-dependent and responsible by continually making them more dependent on the responsibility of government.
Thanks for your post. I still disagree philosophically, but I appreciate the fact that your opinion is well thought out, and you don't seem like a hateful, mean spirited person about the issue. We need more of that in this forum. Kudos.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM

447 posts, read 743,095 times
I would like to phase the entitlements out slowly. There are a lot of people that built this nation that are just barely getting by and need SS and Medicare. I'll give these people the benefit of the doubt. I would like the option to personally opt out (but still pay into it until my death), as long as the gov can gaurantee that my children wouldn't be taxed these entitlements.

It's a shame the government thinks they have to help everyone. I thought we were a self sufficient, pick yourself up from your boot straps kind of country. At least that's how it used to be. Call your congressman and let them know that you want to go back to being a self reliant nation again.

I would also like to trade a portion of my SS and Medicare payment toward saving the environment instead of saving someones retirement. What good is buying that beach house retirement home when it's over looking an oil spill in the gulf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies