Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:50 PM

355 posts, read 209,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't think these things are respected by so-called conservatives these days, so I call myself a liberal by default.
I simply don't play the game of the two party system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
John Huntsman maybe.

You put a guy like that in office and have Democrats win back the House on some liberal nominations, I think we're net positive towards pulling our heads out of our a$$es. I'm a hard core Progressive and Owe-bummer needs to handed his walking papers. He doesn't have the executive talent people need from the guy in the big chair.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I'm socially liberal, I wouldn't simply say "liberal." I could tolerate Ron Paul or Gary Johnson. All the others are shallow establishment robots like Romney or religious-right lunatics like Palin.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Well , I'm a Canadian so it really doesn't matter what I think but I'll tell you anyway. I don't think there is one single good presidential prospect in the current crop of Republican hopefuls. When someone as wacked out as Bachman even has a voice to spout her idiocies then you know there's a BIG problem.The entire party is like a big cult. Reality plays no part in what they believe about public affairs and they insist that policies that have proven to be failures over and over again are succeses. How can a sane well put together person lead such a rabble?

Take a look at their unanamous opposition to any kind of tax increases. Now the garbage they quote about taxation killing jobs is just plain wrong and has been proven to be wrong umpteen times but that matters not to them. Do you wonder why? I know why but that's the subject for a different post.
They claim to be the ultra patriots and anyone opposing them is suspect as to there loyalties. WEll I have to ask here. Would it hurt these uber rich to give a little more to help their country out of the current mess? In Germany where the people are actually patriotic the rich OFFERED to pay higher taxes to help the country over the present rough patch.

Another thing I have been thinking about. What % of the sons and daughters of these rich Americans do you suppose serve the country in the military? How many of them have laid down their lives for the republic? Very few in either case. In the entire congress there are only a couple of family members serving out of all of those American patriots.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,398 times
Quote:
I don't know about Huntsman, mary, but I don't think it's any secret that the "silent majority" is looking for moderation here, not more extremism.
I don't think MSNBC could ever be accused of speaking for the "silent majority". In fact, I believe they are aptly considered extremist liberal.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
They claim to be the ultra patriots and anyone opposing them is suspect as to there loyalties. WEll I have to ask here. Would it hurt these uber rich to give a little more to help their country out of the current mess? In Germany where the people are actually patriotic the rich OFFERED to pay higher taxes to help the country over the present rough patch.
Why even mention you are a Canadian? I've never met, or spoken with a Canadian that wasn't anxious to share an opinion. :P

This is all well and good, but I think we need leaders who don't play favorites. Does it make sense to raise taxes on people earning $250k (or more) while GE pays ZERO taxes on $BILLIONS in profit? On top of that they actually received subsidies from tax revenues.

You have to look at the big picture. It isn't just the rich who are being squeezed, but the super rich corporations that are the worst offenders.

As for the Republicans being offered up; We need to create a hybrid in some laboratory. Mix three parts Ron Paul conviction, with two parts Huckabee common sense, two parts Herman Cain business savvy, add a pinch of Newt... cook in a Quantum DNA accelerator, pour into a Mit Romney mold (he's got the look) and let cool until breathing. Then we'd have a candidate.

I don't like any of them in their separate forms at the moment.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
John Huntsman maybe.

You put a guy like that in office and have Democrats win back the House on some liberal nominations, I think we're net positive towards pulling our heads out of our a$$es. I'm a hard core Progressive and Owe-bummer needs to handed his walking papers. He doesn't have the executive talent people need from the guy in the big chair.
Huntsman sounds good until you get to his platform on women's reproductive rights, which is, they don't have any.

No way he would get my vote.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM

355 posts, read 209,523 times
I used to be a liberal until I saw it's shame. It is amazing that so many liberals voted in a man who is less transparent than Gorbachev.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 9,658 times
Quote:
If denouncing Bush's failed policies is what you're looking for, there's Ron Paul, is there not?
You beat me to this one, brother. Ron Paul has been against all our failed policies from day one. He railed against Bush's illegal wars when Bush was busy destroying the country; he railed against the horrifyingly misnamed Patriot Act. He rails against the TSA. And now he's railing against Bush's policies that are being forwarded by Obama.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipposelect View Post
You beat me to this one, brother. Ron Paul has been against all our failed policies from day one. He railed against Bush's illegal wars when Bush was busy destroying the country; he railed against the horrifyingly misnamed Patriot Act. He rails against the TSA. And now he's railing against Bush's policies that are being forwarded by Obama.
Ron Paul is not telegenic and has no charisma. Politics is won or lost in the media these days. No chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies