Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Bully? You do realize it's not Amazon that will be paying the taxes, but you, the customer.
Yes but lets be fair, Amazon is fighting to keep the tax out so they can keep their competative edge against brick and morter stores.

I have mixed emotions on this one, owning an internet company who also deals with Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Amazon.com is not a brick and mortar store.
Actually, they are. In both California and Texas.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Are you sure that Amazon is required to collect the sales taxes? I always read that it is the buyer's responsibility to pay taxes owed, but few seldom do.
Amazon is required to collect the sales tax for instate transactions, its the buyers responsibility to pay the taxes owed on transactions that cross the state borders, and yes, they almost never do.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its his state, but I think that the internet should be tax free. Of course that lowers the number of people needed to work, less selling in stores, etc.

It should lower prices though, with more competition it lowers costs.
It is tax free if you do not live in the state where the seller is located. If a consumer lives in the same state as the business making the sale, and the state has a sales tax, then the business is required to collect the sales tax from the in-state consumer.

This is the way it has always been. It is no different than placing an order via phone.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 AM

353 posts, read 905,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Good on him! A win for mom and pop retailers!
No, this is a narrow perpetuated by Walmart and latched onto by retailers who think this is going to give them some sort of competitive advantage (It's not).

In states where Amazon does not have a physical presence, it ends up hurting small businesses. People placing links on their website does not mean a business has a physical presence in that state.

New 'Amazon tax' law hits small firms in wallet - Orange County Register

Amazon's split with affiliates ships livelihoods out of state - Inside Bay Area

The shame is on Amazon though for not promoting this message as heavily as Walmart is promoting the "let's be fair to retailers and mom and pops" angle.

Like I said earlier, this issue is bigger than Amazon.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
I live in Texas. I've placed hundreds of orders through Amazon. Will I now be charged 8.25% more on every order I place?

If so, I will buy less. As a rational, economizing individual, I will spend less. As an emotional individual, I will probably spend substantially less. I already pay the highest combined property tax rate 3.2% in the state. I won't go visit "mom and pop" stores. Have you seen our traffic and our overcrowding? How many online reviews can I read at these alleged "mom and pop" stores? No thank you.

Perry lost my vote already with his embarrassing Houston "Hope and Pray" spectacle. This just confirms it.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
...so a distribution center is not "brick and mortar"? Does Texas law presently specify "brick and mortar",...or just a business presence? A distribution center is a presence.

Why should internet sales be exempt from sales tax? Does it not give internet companies an unfair advantage over others?

Why is Amazon trying to bribe the Texas by offering a distribution center and jobs for a four year moratorium on collecting sales taxes? Apparently Amazon thinks it owes the taxes or it would not have made the offer.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I live in Texas. I've placed hundreds of orders through Amazon. Will I now be charged 8.25% more on every order I place?

If so, I will buy less. As a rational, economizing individual, I will spend less. As an emotional individual, I will probably spend substantially less. I already pay the highest combined property tax rate 3.2% in the state. I won't go visit "mom and pop" stores. Have you seen our traffic and our overcrowding? How many online reviews can I read at these alleged "mom and pop" stores? No thank you.

Perry lost my vote already with his embarrassing Houston "Hope and Pray" spectacle. This just confirms it.
.........one might wager you didn't vote for him in any election anyway.

"Hundreds or orders through Amazon"? Oh,....sure.....

Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Here's an explanation...

Legal/Regulatory - Texas gets tough on web taxes - Internet Retailer

The bill signed this week, SB 1, covered a broad range of fiscal matters and included the same provisions that Perry, a Republican, rejected in May. Those provisions clarified that retailers had an in-state physical presence requiring them to collect sales tax even if their in-state physical facilities were operated by subsidiaries. Under federal law, states can only force retailers to collect sales tax if they have an in-state physical presence, or “nexus” in legal terms, such as stores or distribution centers.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Amazon had a "physical presence" in Texas as well,....hence the State Comptroller billed them for $250 million plus in taxes owed. A distribution center IS a physical presence.
By "physical presence" I was talking about retail stores where actual SALES occur. Not just making a product or delivering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies