Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,254,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And that is where Obama's lack of experience particularly shows up. He did not even serve one term in the Senate!

All members of Congress are to be respected as the voice of the people who elected them. There is a reason for the formality in each chamber and for the formality within the White House itself.

Have you ever noticed that folks who have been lifelong friends of Presidents immediately begin referring to that person as Mr. President? It is no longer "my pal George." It is Mr. President.

Same for the Senators and Congressmen. Same for the Supreme Court Justices.

There is a reason for this "surface" civility. Our legislators have been sent to DC to FOCUS ON THE ISSUES, not on PERSONAL GRIEVANCES or even PERSONALITIES. Civility, good manners and respect keep people focused on the job at hand.

To do otherwise is to undermine the respect, and thus - effectiveness - of the OFFICE to which people have been elected.
Spoken like a true Southern Lady!

I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,366,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Why do we always have to bring COLOR into these political discussions!

If you're going to criticize someone for being less than intelligent, wouldn't it be wise to choose the correct word, rather than referring to a color?

Uuuh; I guess you're going for sarcasm but in case you weren't; it's a reference to that well known Bug's Bunny admonishment! A sort of kinder gentler reference that avoids the obvious "Moronic" connotation.

If I have completely misinterpreted the intent behind your post, well I'll simply agree to a "Whooossh - right on over" moment.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,976,773 times
Obama is very disappointing and not up to the call of leadership.

However the legacy left to him by the catastrophically inept presidency of Bush led to many of the issues which we struggle with today.

True, Obama can't create the leadership but Bush was an abject failure of economics and reason.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:07 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,796,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
What utter crap. Obama and Boehner almost had a bipartisan deal that would have cut spending and raised revenue and which both could have worked to implement. The Tea Party rejected it, and we got the Frankenstein compromise. The blame sits squarely on their shoulders.
Gosh, how many times must you be told? It was obama who blew up the deal, with his incessant need for more tax hikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Forbes has never been well recieved by City Data, but I see now that it supports your, and the other Conservatives', views of bigotry and hatred that it's okay.
Where is the bigotry and hatred? Oh, that's right - TRUTH of the situation is now bigotry and hatred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama is a pretty weak leader but the Tea Party and their recklessness brought this about. One of the reasons cited by the report for the downgrade was the political wrangling over a process that is usually a nothing more than a rubber stamp.
Wrong...again. The downgrade is because of the DEBT we are piling up, with NO plan to actually deal with the problem. The mention of the political wrangling did not give S&P confidence that TRUE long-term deficit reduction could take place. They are right - NOT with obama and the dems in control.

Quote:
I just gotta ask: since when did it become a BAD THING to have a balanced budget?

I am still scratching my head on why this is such a totally foreign idea to liberals.

?????????????
Liberals are ALL about spending money. Balancing the budget would not be conducive to obama's re-election. He NEEDS that money to throw around and down the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

No, what S&P was saying is that a clean debt ceiling increase should have passed, no political posturing on it should have happened, and it was insane to use it as a political foot ball.
Absolute nonsense. You claim S&P wanted a "clean" DC bill, you mean multi-trillions without any cuts? Hogwash.

Quote:
Remember, one TEA party congressman supported lowering the debt ceiling, and others said we should default.
A clear majority of the country agreed with him.

Quote:
That was what was said, and that is what caused our credit rating to downgrade.
So, let me get this straight. Things that were SAID caused the downgrade, NOT things that were done...like spending money we don't have. I have that right?

Quote:
Balancing the budget had nothing to do with the debt ceiling.
More nonsense. The credit rating agencies are looking for long-term debt/deficit solutions - that would be a balanced budget..I know, something so foreign to the Left.

Quote:
Debt ceiling is about old debt, the budget is balanced when the budget is passed. Two different issues.
Not so much. Same thing when there is no plan to deal with either.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,796,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
The GOP and the tea baggers are crippling this nation. Without this bunch, we wouldn't even be in this mess. You're obviously focusing on the wrong President because you want him to fail. The truth of the matter is that Dubya was a problem when he was in office, and what he did to hurt this country is still hurting it with the help of his supporters.

The Pubs today represent nothing more than a continuation of Bush, which is why we're in the state we're in. This is clear and understood by those who will be voting for an Obama reelection and for extracting the worthless GOP contingent from Congress and offices around the country.
BOOSHBOOSHBOOSHBOOSH!!! Is that all you have to argue the economic policies of this president?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Whats utter bull crap is that people like you can sit here and continue to spout out this lie

Where is this plan the Tea Party rejected? Where is the obama plan to cut spending? We have an Obama proposed budget that was laughed so hard out of Congress that NOT ONE member voted yes on it, and you want to think this was a bipartisan deal?

The man couldnt even get ONE MEMBER of his own party to vote yes on the bill
Don't remind them of such things - the vote was 97-0, btw. That budget increased the debt by $10 Trillion

Quote:
Whooooaahhhh - wait a minute.

I would have walked out, too.

THe President threatened Cantor with, "Eric, you better not call my bluff."

Damn right he walked. These type of bullying tactics by the President, the White House and Reid and Pelosi have to CEASE.
They called his bluff. Of course, anyone with a brain would have since he told them up front he was bluffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You can blame him only if he is a dictator.

He was "made to fail". Period
Made to fail? Who made the stimulus fail? Who made obamacare fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Isn't a bully one who publicly calls the highest official in the country a liar on Fox News?
If it's the truth, it should be said.

Quote:

From S&P's report.

Not working together, telling people it has to be your way and no other, the "political brinksmanship" is what lead to the downgrade, not our debt.

Its the fact that we can't work together to reduce our debt, not the debt itself. If we proved we could carry the burden without threatening default, we'd still be AAA
Again, nonsense. The wrangling gives them no confidence that a solution will be forthcoming. That is NOT the reason for the downgrade. THE DEBT is the reason for the downgrade. Really, just stop parroting the Left's talking points and read the report yourself.

How absurd to suggest that political discourse, things that are said, could EVER result in the downgrade of the US's credit rating.

Just stop.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,294,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
BOOSHBOOSHBOOSHBOOSH!!! Is that all you have to argue the economic policies of this president?

Don't remind them of such things - the vote was 97-0, btw. That budget increased the debt by $10 Trillion

They called his bluff. Of course, anyone with a brain would have since he told them up front he was bluffing.

Made to fail? Who made the stimulus fail? Who made obamacare fail?

If it's the truth, it should be said.

Again, nonsense. The wrangling gives them no confidence that a solution will be forthcoming. That is NOT the reason for the downgrade. THE DEBT is the reason for the downgrade. Really, just stop parroting the Left's talking points and read the report yourself.

How absurd to suggest that political discourse, things that are said, could EVER result in the downgrade of the US's credit rating.

Just stop.
Answered below.

Quote:
Look,

People are going to have two choices on who to believe here.

I'm telling people that its all of governments fault. That the President and Democrats should have, could have, and did have the responsibility to pass a balanced budget plan, increase the debt ceiling, etc back when they had full control of congress and the white house. That should have happened in November last year, without a doubt.

And I'm telling people that all of the news stories, all of the "leaks" from committees, and all of the press conferences by TEA party members and Cantor, and others in the Republican party are true. That they didn't want to raise one dime of revenue from taxes, and that many were willing to default on the nations debt, some thought it was a good idea.

Or.....

You can listen to people who are telling you to keep your head in the ground, its all the Presidents fault, Republicans share no blame, and the President is a bully.

You decide.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,254,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Gosh, how many times must you be told? It was obama who blew up the deal, with his incessant need for more tax hikes.

Where is the bigotry and hatred? Oh, that's right - TRUTH of the situation is now bigotry and hatred.

Wrong...again. The downgrade is because of the DEBT we are piling up, with NO plan to actually deal with the problem. The mention of the political wrangling did not give S&P confidence that TRUE long-term deficit reduction could take place. They are right - NOT with obama and the dems in control.

Liberals are ALL about spending money. Balancing the budget would not be conducive to obama's re-election. He NEEDS that money to throw around and down the toilet.

Absolute nonsense. You claim S&P wanted a "clean" DC bill, you mean multi-trillions without any cuts? Hogwash.

A clear majority of the country agreed with him.

So, let me get this straight. Things that were SAID caused the downgrade, NOT things that were done...like spending money we don't have. I have that right?

More nonsense. The credit rating agencies are looking for long-term debt/deficit solutions - that would be a balanced budget..I know, something so foreign to the Left.

Not so much. Same thing when there is no plan to deal with either.
Let the truth be told!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,987,777 times
Default " We All Has Gots Us A Really, Really Big Ole Mess In Da Peoples House An All" ... Quite !

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Forbes article nails the source of America's problem.

"Few Americans needed Standard & Poor to confirm the mismanagement of the United States government and its finances. The downgrading of American credit will raise interest rates on America’s huge debt and ultimately on all Americans. Popular polls say that most Americans blame Congress—but that’s too simplistic. As much as Barack Obama would like to shift that blame onto Congress, the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of President. It is first and foremost a leadership problem that is crippling America—and the leader is President Barack Obama—not the many members of Congress."

A Failed Presidency — The American Problem - Prosper Now - - Forbes
maja !!! ... On The Money !

Indeed ... This appears to be a most accurate assessment of the current stigmata regarding "Failed Leadership" emamnating from the "Ole Yankee WH" !!!

We the people seemingly are without any logical and or intelligent political leadership ... and this also includes both so called political parties !

Them Be Representatives Of The People Ya'll !!! ... Of whom we may be most proud !!!

Cheers / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM

58,493 posts, read 26,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
What utter crap. Obama and Boehner almost had a bipartisan deal that would have cut spending and raised revenue and which both could have worked to implement. The Tea Party rejected it, and we got the Frankenstein compromise. The blame sits squarely on their shoulders. They insisted on pushing a very unpopular minority view forward that noone else could support,and many still think the default would have been fine. Obama, Boehner, McConnell, nor Reid did not want that, but the Tea Party had to have their day in the sun and go for the nuclear option.

Folks around the world now see them for the crazed ideologues that they are, inept stewards of the largest economy on earth. Obama was damaged by this, but he did everything reasonable he could to avoid it.

I am getting less and less impressed with Forbes magazine. It seems very biased. I will read up in the Economist to get a different view.
I believe you are wrong in your evaluation.

They HAD deal, then a later Obama wanted to change it.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:12 PM

58,493 posts, read 26,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Whatever. Obama is the most capable president since Clinton and Forbes knows it. That is why it took such a lengthy article to attempt to discredit him. If it really was as obvious as the article purports that Obama is unfit, he would already be gone from the White House. I need say no more.

H
Where do you come up with this crap? Being inept, which he definitely is, is not a legal reason for impeachment.

Psst, I have a bridge for sale. I'll make you a good deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies