Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
We have lower tax rates then we did in the 1990s and the economy is much worse. Tax cuts have only increased deficits and slowed job creation.
Tax cuts have slowed job creation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Oops... should have said "raise taxes."

OK...for what purpose?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK...for what purpose?
Pay off the debt.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
So as long as an "R" gets in there, it will all be bread and roses? This kind of thinking is a merry-go-round to hell. I could care less which party is in power in which branch of government, so long as we raise/reform taxes and cut spending.
The R is the only other option unless a D decides they've had enough of this crap, steps up to the plate and torches the area inside the Beltway.

Why won't an "honest" D just call it like it is and mount a campaign against the idiot-in-charge?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The R is the only other option unless a D decides they've had enough of this crap, steps up to the plate and torches the area inside the Beltway.

Why won't an "honest" D just call it like it is and mount a campaign against the idiot-in-charge?
Seriously, snort? This is all just Obama, huh? Things were rocking until him. Things will be rocking again once he's gone. Can we focus on policy, not personalities?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You've got a few false premises going on here. First of all, the people that Obama wants to raise taxes on are those earning $250K/year and more. Those are not the people living off of capital gains... it's the extremely wealthy that do that. Secondly, I agree that the tax system is unfairly applied. We need to reform it, go to a flat/fair/consumption based tax. At the very least, we should lower all tax rates and eliminate all deductions and loopholes. There are better ways to raise tax revenues than to simply apply a tax hike on those earning $250K/year and more. Lastly, the amount of money that would even net is paltry compared to the amount of government waste and duplicity.
I agree with you on consumption taxes. Though I was more referring to the Bush tax cuts being bad as opposed to what Obama wants to do being good. The problem with the Bush tax cuts was imho that the meat and potatoes was capital gains tax reduction in which you have the very wealthy having close to a 15% effective tax rate.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Are you really going to keep screaming and screaming that we should never raise taxes -- that all taxes are theft in fact? Or are you at some point going to acknowledge that we need to raise taxes to those scary-Communist times levels of the 90s?
Anyone with half a brain is dreaming if they think raising taxes is the solution to our problems. Are liberals really fantasizing so much that they actually think our politicians will finally become fiscally responsible once taxes are raised? HA!!! Your dreaming. Politicians haven't been responsible since the 1920s. The more revenue they bring in, the more they spend.

I think the only reason you and other liberals want more taxes is because they don't pay taxes. It is easy to ask for more goodies for you and more taxes for everyone else except you.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
said before and Ill say it again. before we ever talk about tax increases we better do some real cuts. Like for every dollar we talk about raising taxes we better cut 10 dollars from the budget.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I think the only reason you and other liberals want more taxes is because they don't pay taxes.
What an igorant statement. I pay plenty of taxes, red -- except when I earned my pay in a combat zone, which I have done a lot of for the past 10 years.

Like most Americans I support higher taxes (if you can get there with tax reforms instead of tax increases cool), spending cuts, to include defense, even though that's going probably going to hurt my bottom line ... good for the country though ... and entitlement reforms. If there's any other way to get the country back on the right track financially, please let me know. This seems to be what all serious people are advocating.

I want tax rates to go back to pre-Bush days. If you think that makes me a commie... lol... whatever.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
said before and Ill say it again. before we ever talk about tax increases we better do some real cuts. Like for every dollar we talk about raising taxes we better cut 10 dollars from the budget.
10 to 1 doesn't get us there, tin... and the conversation needs to be simultaneous. Tax hikes, spending cuts and entitlement reforms. It's time for everyone to cut the s***.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies