Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:29 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times

Advertisements

One thing has become obvious to me and that is that this country is on the brink of massive failure. And I cannot blame it on anybody. The Democrats just cannot seem to accept the truths that the private sector is better for the nation than the public sector. They cannot accept even a dime in government spending cuts. A good example of that was the FAA funding mess. The Democrats just could not accept that PRIVATE airlines can better decide which markets to serve better than the government can. So we get to continue to pay $3000 in federal fare subsidies for every person that flys in and out of places like Ely Nevada and Quincy Illinois. The Republicans were right to try and rid the country of this silliness. If people choose to live in remote locations, the rest of us should not be forced to subsidize that choice. A bus service from Las Vegas or Reno for Ely would be better than paying airlines to fly empty planes there.
The Republicans on the other hand cannot seem to accept a dime in revenue increases. No matter how silly or stupid the tax break is, we just cannot accept that multi millionaires should pay another penny in taxes. And now the tea party is telling Bohner that he must only appoint no tax tea party people to the new Super Congress to cut the deficit. This is a sure way to hell for the country. We have become a circular firing squad. China will not destroy this nation. We will do it to ourselves. That is sad indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
One thing has become obvious to me and that is that this country is on the brink of massive failure. And I cannot blame it on anybody. The Democrats just cannot seem to accept the truths that the private sector is better for the nation than the public sector. They cannot accept even a dime in government spending cuts. A good example of that was the FAA funding mess. The Democrats just could not accept that PRIVATE airlines can better decide which markets to serve better than the government can. So we get to continue to pay $3000 in federal fare subsidies for every person that flys in and out of places like Ely Nevada and Quincy Illinois. The Republicans were right to try and rid the country of this silliness. If people choose to live in remote locations, the rest of us should not be forced to subsidize that choice. A bus service from Las Vegas or Reno for Ely would be better than paying airlines to fly empty planes there.
The Republicans on the other hand cannot seem to accept a dime in revenue increases. No matter how silly or stupid the tax break is, we just cannot accept that multi millionaires should pay another penny in taxes. And now the tea party is telling Bohner that he must only appoint no tax tea party people to the new Super Congress to cut the deficit. This is a sure way to hell for the country. We have become a circular firing squad. China will not destroy this nation. We will do it to ourselves. That is sad indeed.
WTF?

Didn't Democrats just vote for 2.5 trillion in spending cuts?

Look, I can blame both parties for lots of things. But solely trying to lay it on the shoulders of just one party or the other is not factual.

Washington needs to cut, a lot, lot more. But when they are voting for the same cuts that Republicans are wanting, then you can't complain about one party.

S&P said this, clearly.

1. The political discourse has lowered their view that we can function as a nation to conquer our problems
2. Entitlements must be reformed
3. Revenues must be on the table
4. Long term deficits must decline
5. Spending in discretionary and non discretionary must be cut, including military

Thats it, message received. I hear you. That slaps both parties pretty damned hard.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:44 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Take heart, Joe. Most of us know we need spending cuts and tax increases. It's going to happen. Someway, somehow.

Quote:

Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM

629 posts, read 771,375 times
The United States of Standards & Poors

Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Sometimes the news is nothing but depressing, infact i know some people right now, that will not bother to even watch the news, depresses them. But think what we would not know without the news.

We did not just get to this point where we are, it happened over time with both party's failing to control spending. They just don't get it, don't think truthfully either party ever will, because always excuses to justify their spending habits.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
I think Republicans would be willing to accept a tax increase if serious cuts to entitlements were found to be insufficient to cut the debt. Unfortunately we have always seen increased taxes accompanied by increased spending. There is no reason to believe this time would be different. Look at it this way. The Dems knew not cutting entitlements would have dire consequences, yet when pushed to the wall simply would't do it. The bottom line is they have raised taxes in the past but NEVER cut entitlements, and look what that has gotten us.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Sometimes the news is nothing but depressing, infact i know some people right now, that will not bother to even watch the news, depresses them. But think what we would not know without the news.

We did not just get to this point where we are, it happened over time with both party's failing to control spending. They just don't get it, don't think truthfully either party ever will, because always excuses to justify their spending habits.
I just wish I could have watched the news today. I had to work.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
An S&P executive says another downgrade is possible within the next 6mos to 2 years.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
An S&P executive says another downgrade is possible within the next 6mos to 2 years.
.........and why not? We'll have gridlock in washington till 12 and possibly after that if we aren't lucky. ...

Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Wrong about the private sector

Quote:
One thing has become obvious to me and that is that this country is on the brink of massive failure. And I cannot blame it on anybody. The Democrats just cannot seem to accept the truths that the private sector is better for the nation than the public sector. They cannot accept even a dime in government spending cuts. A good example of that was the FAA funding mess...
This is absolutely incorrect. Trickle-down does not work. Giving money to the private sector does not benefit this society in a fair manner. In fact, it has never benefited the economy. A deregulated, rich private sector is what Conservatives lose sleep dreaming of because it supports their preference for racial discrimination and denying blacks and other minorities equal opportunity. It supports their preference for maximizing profits at all costs. It supports their preference for helping the rich get richer while blacks and other minorities are kept in subordinate roles. Conservatives are willing to displace millions of qualified americans by replacing them with cheaper foreign labor just so they can maximize profits for their businesses and good ol boy networks. No. Obviously, if this is what bigots prefer, it is not right for the country.

Bigots and racists don't support the public sector and want it eliminated for obvious reasons. Can't think of a better reason why it should therefore be supported overwhelmingly. A thriving public sector is more vital to the well-being of this country than the existence of the Republican party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies