Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Myth or Reality
Myth 40 68.97%
Reality 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
People need to get their heads out of their ass and realize the developed world has it just as well and the same rights for the most part or more than Americans do and that we aren't some country surrounded by tyranny. If this question was asked 20 or even 10 years ago, I would have probably said reality but not anymore by far.
It's not about "having it as good with the same rights as Americans". The US is exceptional because it was founded on freedom and the idea that government is by the consent of the people. It is also about being an example for people around the world.
When people are living under the thumb of tyranny and they are yearning for change do you really think that they are looking at Spain, Germany or any other nation for an example or for help?
When a nation experiences natural or man-made disasters what nation's flag do you think these people see first?
What single nation develops half of the world's medical breakthoroughs?
What single nation applies for 60% of the world's patents?

I could go on and on and on. The US is most definitely exceptional and anyone who doesn't think so is simply a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
It is reality. The chances an individual has in America to advance and succeed is not matched in any other country. Even China with its 10+% GDP growth rate can not compare since that is a recent phenomenon. Some might argue that America's days of exceptionalism are in the past but that was not the question of the poll. Clearly America has been an exceptional country for most of its history and I believe it will be again but, like a junkie, we may need to hit rock bottom before cleaning ourselves up. The recent credit downgrade may serve as the first of several wakeup calls to spark that revitalization of our exceptionalism.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yeah, you're so right. We shouldn't jail people like Bernie Madoff, Kenneth Lay, or Andrew Fastow. After all, they weren't violent criminals who killed people.
I seriously doubt that those are the people he had in mind.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I hope that's a joke about Canada's immigrants coming here as a first stop on the way to the USA.

Let me tell you a little story. I live in a border city. I have a lot of friends who are Immigrants to Canada who are now citizens and posess Canadian passports. When I mention to them about some great deals to be had over the river they respond, "In the USA?" I say,"Ya". The reply, "WE never go there, it's too dangerous, they don't like us there, we look different and we get treated badly there". Now, these comments are coming from people who have never even been to the USA. They get these ideas from watching your media and listening to all the garbage that saturates all discussions about life in the USA.

I have one good friend, a single mother of three kids. She is from Uganda originally and is now a Canadian. Her husband has been trying to get into Canada for 12 years and because he was doing it wrong he is still in Africa. He was trying to get in as a skilled worker instead of a spousal case. AS a spouse he would have been here years ago. Anyway, he just got a job in Philadelphia Pa. I was excited for Penny and said "it's not that bad a drive from here to Philly". She said, "What, me take the kids to the USA? never never never will I expose my children to the hate there".
I tried to explain to her that it's not as bad as it's portrayed to be in the media but she is adament. "He will have to come here" she says.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Canada and my experience is that it's just like the USA, just colder. They have beauty, they have nice people and they have bad people. Just like the USA.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
I would trade my american passport for a swiss one any day of the week. switzerland doesn't rate high for immigration because it is ultra difficulut to immigrate to and it has a extremely high cost of living.

However, that's a function of how elite and brilliant of a place it is. Only thing it lacks is a beach, but it's close enough to cote azur.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
It is a complete illusion. The USA is just one of 180+ countries on Earth. I love it because it's home, but it's just another nation. Nothing "exceptional" about it.

I haven't been to all 180 countries, but I have been to 25 or 30 on six continents. And I would choose to live in the USA over anywhere I've been.

Not perfect, but better in terms of opportunity, natural beauty, friendly people, weather, standard of living, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies