Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree it has been dumbed down but not to meet the needs of the public. It is because it's cheap and easy. Deadlines are met quickly. Ads will be sold anyway and if the show flops, plop another quick and easy program on to take its place like Judge Judy. Keep in mind its not the programming that's important, it's the advertising. It's akin to pawning pet rocks off to the public. Another words the public is getting ripped off.
BINGO! As usual, it's the $$$. I'd guess production costs of a 'reality' show are pennies on the dollar compared to producing an hour long weekly drama series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Of course. It is the viewer that dictates to the advertiser. If the general public watched as much Reality TV as I do, they would have zero audience viewing the commercials. The intellectual difference between PBS and advertiser driven TV is ming boggling. I also admire Turner Classics for their commercial free movies.
I prefer TCM as well. Many of the movies today are designed for the intellectually challenged. The films that do well have special effects and plots that involve little to no thinking.

Movies that have a storyline that require that you pay attention to the plot don't do well these days.

You don't see films like "Chinatown" or "All the President's Men" coming out these days.

There is more to this than just cheaper forms of entertainment. Because those violent special effects loaded films cost $$$$$$ to make.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 PM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Jerry Lewis doesn’t like reality television; that’s pretty much what we can take away from the interview the 85-year-old actor gave to the press at the Television Critics Association on Friday. Lewis’ opinion that television programming is going downhill isn’t new, but his wrath is now particularly focused on the evils of reality programming. Lewis didn’t pull any punches:
Jerry Lewis Rants Against Reality TV

I agree with him. "Entertainment" has been dumbed down to meet the needs and mental capacity of the public. It's just a telltale example of the bigger picture.
What he misses is that the crap reality TV programs are a public service announcement for the smarter people. The idiots were going to be idiots no matter what.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Reality TV is a thousand times more entertaining then the crap Jerry Lewis put out.

As a small kid I could watch some of the garbage he starred in, today I wouldn't watch his movies if you paid me.

He's completely forgotten by the younger generations as his movies aren't exactly classics and haven't stood the test of time, unlike many others from his era.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
I'll take the reruns of "The Golden Girls" any time over any reality show on TV. For that matter over ANY show, period.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I prefer TCM as well. Many of the movies today are designed for the intellectually challenged. The films that do well have special effects and plots that involve little to no thinking.

Movies that have a storyline that require that you pay attention to the plot don't do well these days.

You don't see films like "Chinatown" or "All the President's Men" coming out these days.

There is more to this than just cheaper forms of entertainment. Because those violent special effects loaded films cost $$$$$$ to make.
Sorry, but there are tons of smart, clever films that do well today. Crappy box office action flix will always do well, it's just fun.

However, if you want to present a list of the top grossing films of past eras vs. todays go for it.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Here's an interesting observation. Sometimes when the TV is on a random channel and I am busy doing something else and not actually watching, most of the newer films are very noisy. That would be their focus on special effects, stupid stunts, sensationalism and shock value. More often than not, I can tell from the sounds that it would not be a movie that would interest me.

How many totally unbelievable car chases and one guy taking on an army of killers without even breaking a sweat can people stand? When they do have a storyline and not dependent on special effects, the stories are sometimes so ridiculous to the point of being insulting to the viewer.

When the do remake a classic, it is usually a terrible disappointment. As for the reality shows, the remote control cannot keep with the speed of my fingers to skip the channel quickly enough.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry, but there are tons of smart, clever films that do well today. Crappy box office action flix will always do well, it's just fun.

However, if you want to present a list of the top grossing films of past eras vs. todays go for it.
You've actually made the point of the thread. Often, the movies that gross well are grossing well because the same idiots that watch the reailty shows are going to those movies.
Very often it's the obscure film that did not "gross" well, that turns out to be the gem.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-07-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 04:59 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Jerry Lewis doesn’t like reality television; that’s pretty much what we can take away from the interview the 85-year-old actor gave to the press at the Television Critics Association on Friday. Lewis’ opinion that television programming is going downhill isn’t new, but his wrath is now particularly focused on the evils of reality programming. Lewis didn’t pull any punches:
Jerry Lewis Rants Against Reality TV

I agree with him. "Entertainment" has been dumbed down to meet the needs and mental capacity of the public. It's just a telltale example of the bigger picture.

He's right!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
It boggles the mind how Hollyweird insists on creating vapid programming for the 18-and-under crowd while completely ignoring the majority of TV viewers -- adults 30+ and over -- who are desperate for intelligent news programs and family-oriented shows that's not full of smut, foul language, and abusive behavior. The 30+ over crowd has money to spend and nowhere to spend it because TV and advertisers keep focusing on the kiddie crowd. Where's the logic in that?

I hope the cord-cutting trend for cable TV continues. Eventually people will realize they've been paying cable companies too much money to watch nothing but a steady stream of obnoxious advertisements and politically liberal, anti-American propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies