Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I stand with the UNION.
You think $250/mo. in HC premiums is unreasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Do you really thing that hardwired is dying? Let's see.. Do you use a cell phone? Do you REALLY think you are wireless all the way the the other person's phone?

Have you ever called your local plumber? What about someone to fix your AC? You don't think they have an office with LANDLINE phones? What about your local bank or credit union?

3000$ was not the deductable, it's what they are asking the workers to contribute towards the insurance. Mine is a bit over $140 a paycheck, for med/dental/life insurance. That's over $3600 a year.

There's a LOT of people out there willing to work for ½ of those numbers, and can make a GOOD living doing so.
I believe land line phones are dying, see above for the data. Many of these striking workers support land lines. Some of the folks I do businesses with use land lines, some strictly cell, its a mixed bag. Numbers don't lie, landlines are dying.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
$3,000 a year for premiums is only $250 a month. I don't see a problem.

What do you pay?
I said: "From free health care to $3000 premiums and deductibles is an extreme jump, wouldn't you say?"

We pay approximately $260/mo, which has gone down since we're not covering our kids any longer. Suddenly having to come up with $300/mo would be a hardship on any family.

Why do people never read another person's post? Is critical thinking a thing of the past?? Do you all just automatically jump in with whatever talking points you heard on tv?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just tells me the employees were not paying their fair share . . . and tells me the employees are really DUMB for being upset over that low of a premium. Most of us pay a lot more than that!

The American Dream is to PURSUE the good life. It wasn't a GUARANTEE. That is where the problem has come in. Everyone thinks he/she is supposed to be guaranteed a middle class life and sorry! You gotta work for it. And make some sacrifices.

Unions sent our factories to China, where wages are lower.

Think about that for a minute. Would you rather make less money or not have a job? Cause right now, there is no choice. There aren't enuff jobs to go around and Unions can't hold employers hostage anymore b/c they feel that they have the right to make higher wages (and benefits) than anyone else has in the history of the universe (for the education and experience).

People should be glad they have a job.

And btw - REALITY CHECK: wages have not fallen NEARLY as far as they will. Look for at least 30 more % b/f the job situation starts turning around. So if you are making $30 an hour right now . . . better start budgeting for $21.
The irony here is Germany has twice the percentage of unionized workers as the United States but German corporations REFUSE to outsource key manufacturing technologlies and jobs? Why German corporations, unions and government WORK TOGETHER to form economic policy that works IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF COUNTRY.

There is no such things as "American Economic Policy". Corporations work in their own self interest not overall interests of the country. The entire premise that unions "drove" American corporations out of the United States is bullsh*t. American corporations left the United States purely based on the ABILITY TO MAKE MORE PROFITS in low wage markets that are expanding faster than the United States.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I said: "From free health care to $3000 premiums and deductibles is an extreme jump, wouldn't you say?"

We pay approximately $260/mo, which has gone down since we're not covering our kids any longer. Suddenly having to come up with $300/mo would be a hardship on any family.

Why do people never read another person's post? Is critical thinking a thing of the past?? Do you all just automatically jump in with whatever talking points you heard on tv?
It would be a hardship if you are making 20K a year, these people are making 60K to 100K, and another. almost 50K in benefits. Try reading the ENTIRE article, asking for 3K a year to assist with the insurance, especially since obamacare has driven up the cost of insurance, is not unreasonable/

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There's a LOT of people out there willing to work for ½ of those numbers, and can make a GOOD living doing so.
That's exactly why middle age wages have remained stagnant for the past 30 years. Corporations have duped people to just lay down and take whatever sh*t they are willing to hand out.

History has shown that given free reign corporations will just run roughshod over workers, environmental laws, safety laws, and financial regulations.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post

Extreme? NO. Who's paying for their HC now?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The irony here is Germany has twice the percentage of unionized workers as the United States but German corporations REFUSE to outsource key manufacturing technologlies and jobs? Why German corporations, unions and government WORK TOGETHER to form economic policy that works IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF COUNTRY.

There is no such things as "American Economic Policy". Corporations work in their own self interest not overall interests of the country. The entire premise that unions "drove" American corporations out of the United States is bullsh*t. American corporations left the United States purely based on the ABILITY TO MAKE MORE PROFITS in low wage markets that are expanding faster than the United States.
I understand what you are saying.

But like it or not, unions have driven up wages, benefits and pensions and those items drive profits down . . . so whether anyone wants to take responsibility for it or not - the facts are - unions help drive US Corps overseas, where they can get the same job done for a reduced wage (and no benefits, pensions, etc). I am not saying it is right! I think it is heinous! But that is what happened.

As Chinese, Indian and Malaysian wages go up (and they have been steadily increasing) . . . and USA wages go down, eventually, jobs will come back to the USA. But that is years down the road.

This is not rocket science, folks.

ETA: Why do you all think that in years past, manufacturing ended up in the South, where there were no unions????

Last edited by brokensky; 08-07-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Extreme? NO. Who's paying for their HC now?
Just wait til they LOSE their jobs and have to pay for COBRA and they figure out that the actual cost for the healthcare insurance their employer was paying for was more like $500 a month.

If you all think I am just blowing smoke, do some research. (not meaning you, Sanrene - you know what I am talking about, I am sure)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's exactly why middle age wages have remained stagnant for the past 30 years. Corporations have duped people to just lay down and take whatever sh*t they are willing to hand out.

History has shown that given free reign corporations will just run roughshod over workers, environmental laws, safety laws, and financial regulations.
I can't believe that people are not seeing that our wages are going down right now - and will continue to tank - and people are gonna be THRILLED to get a job at half what they are making now.

Housing costs are going down; interest rates on mortgage loans will go up; and wages are gonna go down. It doesn't take a crystal ball. This is history repeating itself on one level - but this time, with global trade involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies