Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,724,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce De Leon View Post
WRONG...i work for VZ on T1's that feed the sites via COPPER.
Go tell Verizon they're wrong.

"The striking workers install, maintain and repair land line phones and Verizon’s FiOS television and Internet service from Virginia to Massachusetts."

45,000 Verizon workers go on strike[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 26,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Verizon sold a lot it's land line business to Frontier.
Only to get out of less profitable rural areas.
Quote:
Frontier Communications Corporation is a telephone company in the United States, mainly serving rural areas and smaller communities

Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM

That was not a Verizon statement it was a newspaper quote..I work for the company dude..plz

Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Do you really thing that hardwired is dying? Let's see.. Do you use a cell phone? Do you REALLY think you are wireless all the way the the other person's phone?

Have you ever called your local plumber? What about someone to fix your AC? You don't think they have an office with LANDLINE phones? What about your local bank or credit union?

3000$ was not the deductable, it's what they are asking the workers to contribute towards the insurance. Mine is a bit over $140 a paycheck, for med/dental/life insurance. That's over $3600 a year.

There's a LOT of people out there willing to work for ½ of those numbers, and can make a GOOD living doing so.
I cannot understand why posters post things they don't have much knowledge on.

landline use has been dropping for several years.

"Nationally, in 2001, 4 percent of households did not have a home phone, according to federal survey data. By late 2007, that number was 18 percent, with more than one in eight households having only a cell phone".
Landline use dropping | TimesDaily.com | The Times Daily | Florence, AL (http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090413/ARTICLES/904135005?Title=Landline-use-dropping - broken link)

Many businesses small and large are going to IP business systems.

"Even though there's been a ton of back and forth between AT&T and Verizon on who has the better cellular network, AT&T isn't letting that stop it from making its next big move: attempting to drop landlines from its service. AT&T filed paperwork with the FCC recently to begin moving all of its service to an IP-based network (or VoIP — like using Skype, only through a home phone), essentially hacking your old telephone jack from the wall."
AT&T Wants to Drop Landlines From its Service, Move to All IP Home Networks

Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,724,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce De Leon View Post
That was not a Verizon statement it was a newspaper quote..I work for the company dude..plz

LOL, I doubt you work for Verizon, every source says the same thing. I would be happy to view any document you could produce to the contrary.

Here's another little know publication that reports the same thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/us/07verizon.html

"The strike involves Verizon’s wire lines division, which include its traditional land lines to homes and business as well as FiOS. Unlike Verizon Wireless, a joint venture in which Verizon is the majority owner, the wire lines division is heavily unionized, with the Communications Workers representing 35,000 employees and the Electrical Workers 10,000."

Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Sure landlines have dropped...so have employee numbers.10 years ago my shop had 75 techs.Now we have maybe 25.GTE/VZ has always controlled employee numbers through attrition,by retiring 10 a year and maybe hiring 2 in 5 years.The reason you have to wait up to 2 weeks for a service call is because we dont have the manpower.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I said: "From free health care to $3000 premiums and deductibles is an extreme jump, wouldn't you say?"

We pay approximately $260/mo, which has gone down since we're not covering our kids any longer. Suddenly having to come up with $300/mo would be a hardship on any family.

Why do people never read another person's post? Is critical thinking a thing of the past?? Do you all just automatically jump in with whatever talking points you heard on tv?
Chill out. I DID read your statement and I BELIEVE $250 a month is NOT an EXTREME jump.

Because someone disagrees with you is NO reason to go off on a hissy fit.

Do YOU have any idea how Verizon structures it labor costs? If not. maybe you shouldn't be making comments on things you know nothing about.

How is that for critical thinking?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL, I doubt you work for Verizon, every source says the same thing. I would be happy to view any document you could produce to the contrary.
What do you need to know?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM

This is important to us in Fl/SC because our contract is up next July,then TX,then Cali.The company split us up about 5 years ago to avoid a nationwide strike

Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,108,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
But then I heard that the company was actually trying to do pretty draconian things to the work force including making them pay $3000 a year in premiums and deductibles for insurance that they now get for free.
Then Verizon is stupid. What Verizon should do is drop employee health care completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
While free medical and dental is probably pretty liberal and few people get it free, a $3000 deductible is pretty draconian.
Why, because it makes you take ownership and responsibility for your own health and well-being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Profits up 2%..is that really "good money" ?
Yeah, baby, 5g Network here we come (not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I believe land line phones are dying, see above for the data. Many of these striking workers support land lines. Some of the folks I do businesses with use land lines, some strictly cell, its a mixed bag. Numbers don't lie, landlines are dying.
For now.

Those numbers will be reversed as you do the Recessionary Slide over the remainder of the decade.

About 30% of American households will get Food Stamps to subsidize their cell-phone use, but about 20% of Americans will have to adjust their living accommodations and share housing with other families if they want cell service.

[quote=AnneWest;20359736] Suddenly having to come up with $300/mo would be a hardship on any family.

Yeah, cutting the cable, cell and internet services and not eating out at McDonald's 37 times a week would be poverty worse than Somalia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The irony here is Germany has twice the percentage of unionized workers as the United States but German corporations REFUSE to outsource key manufacturing technologlies and jobs?
It's a little more complex than that.

Germany has a high-percentage of companies that provide unique products. Those products require intensive capital investment for start up and it simply is not feasible for a developing nation to invest that kind of capital.

Additionally, it takes an highly skilled and trained work force to make those products, so that is another reason they cannot be outsourced.

You do have a few companies like that in the US, like Xtek Inc, but they are few and far between and certainly don't make up the percentage that Germany has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So the employer is supposed to eat the cost of healthcare insurance? WHY?
Yes, it's a ******* Dung Sandwich with drizzled urine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, Health insurance started being offered to workers in WWII as a benefit to get workers.
After FDR enacted a Wage & Price Freeze to keep rising wages from driving up prices.

Yes, as incredible as it sounds, wages actually rose during the Great Depression. Part of the cause of the Great Depression was a massive reallocation of labor and resources due to technological advances like the assembly line which increased efficiency and productivity, but resulted in job losses. But again, that was a minor cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I cannot understand why posters post things they don't have much knowledge on.

landline use has been dropping for several years.
Blah, blah, blah, that will reverse in over the course of the remainder of the decade, so don't starting writing the eulogy just yet.

You have families who had two wage-earners grossing $100,000+ who now still have two wage-earners but are barely grossing $35,000 and in a few years those families will have only one wage earner barely earning $25,000

They ain't gonna be able to afford the $60/month cell plan, but they will be able to afford a $16 land-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies