Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times

Advertisements

Perhaps when they get out they should be required to donate their Playstation to their victims. The same victims whose Playstation, Big Screen TV, and Jewelry they took when they burlarized their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
and you have no idea what actually goes on in prisons, because anyone who has an actual working knowledge knows better than what you believe.
Nope, sorry, you're not changing my mind on this one. I'm as left-wing as they come. Dope should be legal, etc.

That being said, non-violent offenders who end up in prison (outside of the small percentage of innocent people behind bars) knew their actions might lead to their arrest, conviction, and prison sentence. They did the crime anyway.

Want to avoid prison? Don't write bad checks, get behind the wheel drunk, or buy a dime bag from a narc. Seems simple to me. Besides, most non-violent offenders have to commit multiple stupid crimes to get any real prison time. These are people who have thrown away second, third, fourth and fifth chances.

I have a college buddy who does prison rehab in Georgia. He says the programs are there, but most of the inmates want no part of them. They're too lazy to be bothered with prison classes. And they have too many dead brain cells from drinking antifreeze and huffing paint thinner for classes to do much good.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:41 PM

363 posts, read 442,699 times
I personally don't care if they have "luxuries" in prison as long as isolation is occurring. No cell phones and texting.

The punishment is being isolated and not having the freedom to go where you want when you want. You have to live in a small place and eat the food they give you and do what you are told when you are told. If they play video games or watch tv in their little cell to me that is the same as playing cards, lifting, basketball, or other recreation they are allowed to do.

The point is they lost the freedom to do what they want when they want. They can do these recreational activities when they are told they are allowed to. Not whenever they want. The loss of the freedom and isolation is the punishment.

-JD

Old 08-07-2011, 02:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
I think people should really look at how other countries lock up their prisoners. I think compared to other parts of the world, our prisons are like country clubs. I've seen a prison in Asia and they do not even have beds to sleep in!

Old 08-07-2011, 02:54 PM

719 posts, read 1,479,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And they have too many dead brain cells from drinking antifreeze and huffing paint thinner for classes to do much good.
That is certainly true in many cases. In many others, the inmates are pleading to get into the classes, especially if they are required to make parole.
Not trying to change your mind. I know what actually goes on behind the walls and I don't feel the need to convince anyone. We can agree to disagree.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I think people should really look at how other countries lock up their prisoners. I think compared to other parts of the world, our prisons are like country clubs. I've seen a prison in Asia and they do not even have beds to sleep in!

This is true.
I don't want our prison like that. I do want the isolation of inmates, the no country club type activities. I do want required classes, therapy, drug rehab etc. Every single person in prison is someone's mother, father, son, daughter, cousin, friend or neighbor. It is extremely difficult on the family members of inmates. It is a ceaseless worry, are they eating, getting stabbed, seeing the doctor, getting raped etc etc.
Prisons are not by any stretch of the imagination, "country clubs" and I for one am glad they are not worse than they are, at least for the sake of the families.
Federal camps are different. In my mind they ARE country clubs and RIDICULOUS. I know of one camp that actually allows the inmates to stroll into town and eat ice cream, go to the stores etc. The camp is set up with tennis courts, track, work out gym etc etc WAY out of line imo.
THESE are what you read about in the media. Normal prisons are horrible, dangerous, scary and bare bones all the way.
As part of a prison ministry I write to various pen pals.
One of my pen pals is doing life without the possibility of parole. No violent convictions. He is in a three strike state and he got three serious drug felonies. He got one at 11:50 pm... the second at 12:15 AM( he sold to the same narc twice in a meeting but because it passed midnight and the guy left and came back for the second buy it made two strikes) And then 18 years later he set up a purchase of 200,000 Sudafeds.
(Obviously, he was not being an angel for those 18 years, he just didn't get CAUGHT again for 18 years).
So he got life without parole.
He also has to be in solitary confinement due to his previous gang affiliation. So for the past 12 years he has not left a 6 foot by 8 foot cement cell except twice a week to shower. And it will be that way till he dies.
He cannot have tv. He cannot have radio.
I doubt anyone here would consider him spoiled.
But he did what he did and he got what he got. My only point in this thread is not to be so quick to believe the media hype about "prisoners being given country club lives." Its BS.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM

322 posts, read 565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
the inmates are pleading to get into the classes, especially if they are required to make parole.
Sounds like many aren't really interested in the classes or trying to better themselves from them, but want to get in them simply as a means to the end.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
I personally don't care if they have "luxuries" in prison as long as isolation is occurring. No cell phones and texting.

The punishment is being isolated and not having the freedom to go where you want when you want. You have to live in a small place and eat the food they give you and do what you are told when you are told. If they play video games or watch tv in their little cell to me that is the same as playing cards, lifting, basketball, or other recreation they are allowed to do.

The point is they lost the freedom to do what they want when they want. They can do these recreational activities when they are told they are allowed to. Not whenever they want. The loss of the freedom and isolation is the punishment.

-JD
I agree with you!
BTW. Cell phones are SERIOUS offense in prison, because inmates could use them to plan escapes, set up outside deals etc etc. One of my pen pals got caught with one in his cell. He also got caught having an affair with the prison nurse.They charged him criminally for the cell phone (forbidden contraband in a penal institution). He had five years added to his sentence and he was transferred to another prison to finish his sentence.
Oh, and the nurse got fired and they are now engaged.... I know, I know. I don't know what she is thinking either!!!! LOL

Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM

241 posts, read 492,140 times
The purpose of prisons is rehabilitation. That's why they're called 'corrections facilities'. Unfortunately, America forgot this a while back and now we are stuck with institutionalized crime. Its a racket for the courts, prison guards, and everyone else involved in the highly lucrative business of locking people up.

Now, rehabilitation need not be pleasant. I've long advocated chemical castration for violent criminals (who tend to be young men.) This would calm them down & disinfect the gene pool of their violent ways. Simply locking criminals up in a building with hundreds of others only serves he enhance their criminal behavior.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
Sounds like many aren't really interested in the classes or trying to better themselves from them, but want to get in them simply as a means to the end.
If I had to gander a guess, that is EXACTLY what they are interested in. They committed crimes. They weren't all that motivated to do right to begin with... but even if that is the case, teaching them productive work skills is a step towards productive activities upon release, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies