Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
At the same time I know of inmates with cancer and AIDS and all sorts of diseases who do get treated. And yes beatings happen, no doubt, but alot of inmates tell me it's better than getting shot at. The system's easier to play in the big house.

I don't know where you live, but here the college is free, not every prison has it, but a lot do. We also have the firefighter program. Where inmates form a firefighting station and get their (very expensive) firefighting certifications and qualifications for free. They get to live detached from the prison in a firehouse, they respond to fires, everything.
However, once they get out they will never have the opportunity to become firemen for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
At the same time I know of inmates with cancer and AIDS and all sorts of diseases who do get treated. And yes beatings happen, no doubt, but alot of inmates tell me it's better than getting shot at. The system's easier to play in the big house.

I don't know where you live, but here the college is free, not every prison has it, but a lot do. We also have the firefighter program. Where inmates form a firefighting station and get their (very expensive) firefighting certifications and qualifications for free. They get to live detached from the prison in a firehouse, they respond to fires, everything.

And you object to them being used as free labor to perform a valuable, otherwise, very expensive service?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
That is certainly true in many cases. In many others, the inmates are pleading to get into the classes, especially if they are required to make parole.
Not trying to change your mind. I know what actually goes on behind the walls and I don't feel the need to convince anyone. We can agree to disagree.
The inmates always want parole. They always want to get out of prison. They try every way they can to get out. Then, when they finally do get out, they go back and do the same things they did before to try and get back in. Makes no sense to me.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
The inmates always want parole. They always want to get out of prison. They try every way they can to get out. Then, when they finally do get out, they go back and do the same things they did before to try and get back in. Makes no sense to me.
A lot of them do. I have my suspicions. I used to think it was because they liked being criminals, locked up etc. And in some cases, that's probably true. In other cases, addiction causes them to behave like idiots and commit crimes.
But after working with the felon population for about three years I have come to realize the MAIN reason they go back.
A felon cannot rent a decent place to live. FOREVER.
A felon cannot enter the professions and pretty much cannot get a job outside of restaurant kitchens and construction.... FOREVER.

Most of them come out raring to go.... looking for work, looking for a place to live other than back home with momma...

after enough doors get slammed in their faces for rentals, after enough job applications get turned down because of a background check...

their self esteem takes such a hit.

It is very difficult to watch a grown man break down and cry as he realizes his felony record means that until the day he dies, he will be imprisoned without being in an actual prison.
Without the ability to find a job that covers the bills, without the ability to rent a place..........without the ability to support the family, move ahead, save some....
and knowing it will be like this for the remainder of their lives....
They give up.......They become what society has already deemed them to be-Felons for life.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
A lot of them do. I have my suspicions. I used to think it was because they liked being criminals, locked up etc. And in some cases, that's probably true. In other cases, addiction causes them to behave like idiots and commit crimes.
But after working with the felon population for about three years I have come to realize the MAIN reason they go back.
A felon cannot rent a decent place to live. FOREVER.
A felon cannot enter the professions and pretty much cannot get a job outside of restaurant kitchens and construction.... FOREVER.

Most of them come out raring to go.... looking for work, looking for a place to live other than back home with momma...

after enough doors get slammed in their faces for rentals, after enough job applications get turned down because of a background check...

their self esteem takes such a hit.

It is very difficult to watch a grown man break down and cry as he realizes his felony record means that until the day he dies, he will be imprisoned without being in an actual prison.
Without the ability to find a job that covers the bills, without the ability to rent a place..........without the ability to support the family, move ahead, save some....
and knowing it will be like this for the remainder of their lives....
They give up.......They become what society has already deemed them to be-Felons for life.

We really need to take a second look at how we handle all criminals save the violent predator types. We have so many infrastructure needs in this country that could possibly be met by using parolees. Put recently released prisoners to work building bridges, paving roads, cutting grass, cooking for the homeless. They could be paid a decent wage (say 2x minimum) and perhaps earn credits towards college tuition or vocational training.

Just an idea off the top of my head. Something needs to change. A dumb kid caught stealing a car or selling pot shouldn't be doomed for life. Save that for the killers, home invaders and rapists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies