Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:43 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Most of it was stolen in the last ten years. They are parasites who are destroying America
And you know that how??????

Sure....we have crooks.....but you guys wanna rape the honest earners too! You don't care and you don't even bother distinguishing between the two!

Not all multi millionaires and billionaires are crooks! And you can't say MOST are unless you've seen every company in America's books.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, we don't live in the 60s anymore. I guess people just don't have the energy to protest anymore, especially in the way the Boomers did then.
Uh, no . . . we Boomers are still marching. Check out the Tea Party, lol.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:46 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
This is my take: If one was to take a risk and make a widget everyone just loves to death and many purchase such a widget making the risk taker rich, I'm all for it. However, I got a gut feeling those who are running the show are not risk takers at all but people who've managed to corner particular markets that are essential for our survival, paying off politicians, creating quasi monopolies-cartels, colluding and getting away with it such as insurance companies, energy companies, large wall street banks, pharmaceuticals, just to name a few.

Well I'm sure glad we aren't running this country on your gut. Because a lot of HONEST and successful businesses would go under.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would hope that americans would unite if times got tough.

you sure can accomplish a lot more united than divided.

i saw a lot of goodness after we got clobbered with hurricanes here in florida, and people rose to the occasion.

i predict that good people will stay good, and people looking for an excuse to be troublemakers will use ANY excuse to be troublemakers.
The taxpaying, law-abiding citizens will continue to be that, of course.

But there is an element in this country that is used to feeding off its gubment teat and has no clue how to survive without that check. Heck, they already rape and pillage in urban areas all over the country. Those are the folks you need to be worried about.

And for those of you who cant' wait to jump into things and make this into something about decent people out of work . . . that is NOT what I mean. Decent people will figure out how to feed their families without robbing their neighbors.

My neighbors and I have been looking up recipes for stewed squirrel, "just in case."

Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
But you're taking away their excuses to use their guns!!!
It's not your neighbor carrying that gun that you need to be worried about. It's the gangsta from a different hood that you need to be thinking about.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
People have remained relatively calm throughout this long recession. I haven't noticed or heard of huge increases in crimes and things. But is the day coming where this will change? Hungry people, desperate people are likely to start gathering together and rioting and starting an increase in the crime rate.

I mean, if we cut out food stamps and unemployment, etc, what are people going to do? If they already can't find jobs, I don't know anyone happy to be on unemployment.
What happened in Argentina could happen. They were a rich rich country but had corrupt leaders like we do. Look at this documentary.

Argentina's Economic Collapse (FULL VERSION)

Note the similarities.

Last edited by emilybh; 08-07-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
The first place I'd show up is at the gates of the whitehouse. What's that saying? The enemy of your enemy is your friend?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
People have remained relatively calm throughout this long recession. I haven't noticed or heard of huge increases in crimes and things. But is the day coming where this will change? Hungry people, desperate people are likely to start gathering together and rioting and starting an increase in the crime rate.

I mean, if we cut out food stamps and unemployment, etc, what are people going to do? If they already can't find jobs, I don't know anyone happy to be on unemployment.
Notice neither party proposed any cuts for Medicaid or food stamps or the big giveaways to the "poor". Everything is aimed at the middle class and/or wealthy.

They'll avoid any riots this way. As long as the poor are fed so much that they are the most obese class and have their free cable, free cell phones, free everything, why would they riot?

Middle class are too busy going to work or trying to find jobs, and scraping up some coins to pay the taxes, they won't have time to riot.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No. People will just lay down and die like they did in the Soviet Union and at Jonestown.
They won't even do that. Soon pot will be legal and readily available and most people will sit in a silly stupor saying "oh wow man", "groovy" and live out their lives that way. Or else they'll be meth addicts and won't care about anything but their drug.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:

At least in California, there has most definitely been a noticeable increase in crimes and theft since the beginning of the "Great Recession". If things don't improve I definitely foresee the beginnings of a violent rebellion by the dispossessed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies