Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 PM

773 posts, read 503,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Even your "report" says EVERYONE pays taxes.
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FEDERAL INCOME TAXES!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Even your "report" says EVERYONE pays taxes.

In fact, it says MAJORITY of households pay a net amount of taxes to the IRS.

But yeah, keep passing that meme around if it makes you feel good.
A payroll tax isnt an income tax, and unaffected by the tax rate. I see you are still having trouble following along with the discussion.

Why dont you re-read the OP's statement, and come back when you are ready to discuss it, rather than trying to go out into lala land to discuss the fact that dogs like ice cream..

Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM

396 posts, read 906,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

ooh another poster who's claiming 51% of americans have no income.. Why dont you stop just making up bull **** and follow along with the discussion. You wouldnt for a second sit here and accept the rich paying no income tax because they pay sales taxes, (which is a state tax, and off topic) I bet.. We are discussing FEDERAL tax revenues and the FEDERAL tax RATE!!!
Isn't this cute? You assume the extreme without even understanding the point.

I'll explain it to you, hopefully in words you can understand.

The inequalities of wealth are growing. The poor are getting poorer AND growing. The real unemployment rate is 20% or so.

If you want the poor to pay income taxes they need a taxable income. The fact that 50% of people don't pay shows that the Bush years were a massive failure and just made the rich richer and the poor poorer.

And to further discredit you. You keep saying Federal Tax. Guess what? The Federal Payroll tax that the poor DO pay? Just an example to show everyone how you try to frame your argument by omitting words to mislead. Not exactly in good faith.

Random Thoughts of a Crazy Liberal: Who Pays the Most in Taxes?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
A payroll tax isnt an income tax, and unaffected by the tax rate.
A tax is a tax. It doesn't matter where it comes from. It's all going to be the same revenue to the federal government anyway. The poor pay less as they should, especially if they have no income to tax. It's true that the top 20% pays 65% of taxes, and they should since they hold 85% of the wealth.

I'm not sure why you folks on the far right don't get that.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
If taxes are to be raised, raise them on all income levels. The bottom 40% pay no taxes at all. The rich (that is, the over $250K group) can only pay so much. If they were taxed 100%, it still wouldn't be enough to get us out of this mess.
Quote:
That is false, the correct figure is 51% pay NO federal tax, up from 48% when Obama was sworn into office.
51% of Americans Pay No Federal Income Taxes - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic
You're both patently false. That 50% of people represents those with an income less than 33k a year, and after EITCs are assigned. That does not include payroll taxes, which the working poor and middle-class pay the majority of.

Perhaps the problem is that we send-out entitlements on the same program we collect revenue on. Separating the two I imagine would be beneficial, as it would completely short-circuit these ridiculous fallacious claims about people not paying taxes.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Isn't this cute? You assume the extreme without even understanding the point.
Ooh I understand the point that you are now trying to spin from your previous statement that half of americans have no income. But lets continue..
Quote:
I'll explain it to you, hopefully in words you can understand.
ooh I cant wait to hear another liberal tell me how wrong they are again..
Quote:
The inequalities of wealth are growing. The poor are getting poorer AND growing. The real unemployment rate is 20% or so.
Inequalities of wealth
1) Has nothing to do with the topic, because we dont tax wealth, we tax income
2) And the inequalities of wealth grow because liberal policies entice "the rich" to reinvest, rather than cash out, subjecting themself to taxable liabilities.

The whole thing must be above your pay grade to comprehend.
Quote:
If you want the poor to pay income taxes they need a taxable income.
ALL income should be taxed. Why would the poor have income that isnt taxable? This one sentence RIGHT HERE, explains heritages point, that we have non stop lefties who think that the bottom 50%, should be allowed to have income that isnt taxable, and we can continue to pile on the top, even though all of the wealth of the top combined, would hardly put a dent in the problems we face today. Even the Obama debt commission explained this in their reports, but NOT ONE Democrat pushed forward the idea. The President himself ran so fast away from it, that it was yet another failed plan set up from the beginning.
Quote:
And to further discredit you. You keep saying Federal Tax. Guess what? The Federal Payroll tax that the poor DO pay? Just an example to show everyone how you try to frame your argument by omitting words to mislead. Not exactly in good faith.
now you just said the bottom 50% doesnt have taxable income, now you are telling me they do. You cant even makeup your mind flip flopping on the very same posting. Furthermore, we are not discussing payroll tax, we've stated this NUMEROUS times here because payroll tax doesnt change regardless of the tax rate changes by Congress.

Would you for a second sit there and say "Bill Gates shouldnt pay income taxes, he already pays payroll tax"? Forgive me for answering for you because I already know the answer is no.
You should have stopped embarassing yourself again by simply not linking to that link. We are discussing FEDERAL taxes. Sales, excise, property taxes are STATE. Do you not understand the different branches of government and need to return to school to become better educated on american civics? Clearly the blogger you linked to has to.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
A tax is a tax. It doesn't matter where it comes from. It's all going to be the same revenue to the federal government anyway. The poor pay less as they should, especially if they have no income to tax. It's true that the top 20% pays 65% of taxes, and they should since they hold 85% of the wealth.

I'm not sure why you folks on the far right don't get that.
We dont tax wealth. i'm not sure why YOU dont get that. Furthermore you are wrong. A tax is not a tax, they keep them seperate for a reason. Payroll taxes are to fund social programs like Social Security, unemployment insurance, etc, income taxes fund the government operations. TWO SEPERATE BUDGETS..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
You're both patently false. That 50% of people represents those with an income less than 33k a year, and after EITCs are assigned. That does not include payroll taxes, which the working poor and middle-class pay the majority of.
Ooh lookie, we have another individual who cant focus on the thread. WE ARE DISCUSSING FEDERAL INCOME TAXES.
Quote:
Perhaps the problem is that we send-out entitlements on the same program we collect revenue on. Separating the two I imagine would be beneficial, as it would completely short-circuit these ridiculous fallacious claims about people not paying taxes.
Actually we dont send them out on the same program. Social Security tax is "returned" to those paying into it, and if you have your money paid back to you, then its not a tax. Sure, its not in "your lockbox", but its not funding the government. It funds welfare programs, not things like military, debt, etc.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Ooh lookie, we have another individual who cant focus on the thread. WE ARE DISCUSSING FEDERAL INCOME TAXES.
100% of the legally working public pays a federal income tax.

Quote:
Actually we dont send them out on the same program. Social Security tax is "returned" to those paying into it, and if you have your money paid back to you, then its not a tax. Sure, its not in "your lockbox", but its not funding the government. It funds welfare programs, not things like military, debt, etc.
EITC is an IRS entitlement program.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
We dont tax wealth. i'm not sure why YOU dont get that. Furthermore you are wrong. A tax is not a tax, they keep them seperate for a reason. Payroll taxes are to fund social programs like Social Security, unemployment insurance, etc, income taxes fund the government operations. TWO SEPERATE BUDGETS..

I didn't say payroll taxes funded the government.

But two soruces I did find (including a far right website) say Payroll Taxes are in fact federal revenue, which is what I did say...

Federal Revenues by Source

What are the federal government's sources of revenue?

Interestingly enough, as much as you guys on the far right whine about the corporate tax, it sure doesn't bring in much revenue now does it?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
100% of the legally working public pays a federal income tax.
So you are telling me the IRS is wrong? Whats your qualification again?
Quote:
EITC is an IRS entitlement program.
You have no clue what you are talking about. I'm one of those individuals who hasnt paid a DIME in federal taxes in TEN YEARS..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies