Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM

773 posts, read 503,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I didn't say payroll taxes funded the government.

But two soruces I did find (including a far right website) say Payroll Taxes are in fact federal revenue, which is what I did say...

Federal Revenues by Source

What are the federal government's sources of revenue?

Interestingly enough, as much as you guys on the far right whine about the corporate tax, it sure doesn't bring in much revenue now does it?

OMG! For the 7th time WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FEDERAL INCOME TAXES.

AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE DAMN CHART I POSTED, YES CORPORATE INCOME TAX REVENUE WENT UP AS WELL.

THIS IS LIKE TALKING TO A FREAKIN' BRICK WALL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
I didn't say payroll taxes funded the government.
Then what the hell are you talking about, because if the money isnt being used to fund the government, then you are making the OP's point for him
Quote:
But two soruces I did find (including a far right website) say Payroll Taxes are in fact federal revenue, which is what I did say...

Federal Revenues by Source

What are the federal government's sources of revenue?
They are put into SEPERATE budgets and NOT funding the government, which you JUST admitted above. Now you are arguing with yourself again.
Quote:
Interestingly enough, as much as you guys on the far right whine about the corporate tax, it sure doesn't bring in much revenue now does it?
The Bush tax cuts, trippled corporate tax revenues, and the costs are simply passed onto the consumers. Whats your point?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post

AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE DAMN CHART I POSTED, YES CORPORATE INCOME TAX REVENUE WAS HUGE AS WELL.

THIS IS LIKE TALKING TO A FREAKIN' BRICK WALL!!!
They dont want to admit that their liberal beliefs are wrong, so they are finding every way to walk around the issue you raised in the OP.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you are telling me the IRS is wrong? Whats your qualification again?

You have no clue what you are talking about. I'm one of those individuals who hasnt paid a DIME in federal taxes in TEN YEARS..

No, I'm telling you that you are wrong. The IRS collects income tax from all legally employed persons. A variety of credits and entitlements, like the Earned Income Tax Credit, are returned to these tax-payers, which after deductions often leads to equal or positive returns for roughly 50% of tax-payers.

That 50% of tax payers generally represents those making 33k and less.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Kucinich;you have tyo be kidding. He never did anythig but spend moeny he is so far to the left. He and people like him are one reason for the deficit. growth as to have investemnt in somethig that returns welth. His whole policy is spending on programs that purely consume wealth.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Kucinich;you have tyo be kidding. He never did anythig but spend moeny he is so far to the left. He and people like him are one reason for the deficit. growth as to have investemnt in somethig that returns welth. His whole policy is spending on programs that purely consume wealth.
I guess context isn't your strong point either.

I posted that link specifically for this part...

Quote:
Additionally, the Congressional Budget Office reported in March, "Relative to the size of the economy, federal revenues are currently at their lowest level in 60 years."

Quote:
You'd be awfully naive to believe that income tax is the only means of earning your living in the United States. The fact that 50% of the populace doesn't pay an income tax is irrelevant when you consider they pay other taxes which are put into the system, which includes the payroll tax. It's deliberate misinformation to leave-out that everyone pays taxes, and to overly focus on a specific tax which the wealthy pay so little. They don't make their millions on their paychecks, they make it through capital gains and dividends, which the bottom 80, actually closer to bottom 90% can't do because they don't have the wealth to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
No, I'm telling you that you are wrong. The IRS collects income tax from all legally employed persons. A variety of credits and entitlements, like the Earned Income Tax Credit, are returned to these tax-payers, which after deductions often leads to equal or positive returns for roughly 50% of tax-payers.

That 50% of tax payers generally represents those making 33k and less.
If they receive a variety of credits and entitlements which equal a positive return to roughly 50% of tax payers, they arent paying.

Tell me Konraden, do you walk into a car dealership and tell the dealership you'll pay $25,000 for a new car, but only if they give you a $30,000 credit, negotating with them that you are indeed paying?

You are so busy trying to prove something exists that doesnt, that you arent even concerned at all with the fact that you are validating the OP's point, and you dont even realize it..

Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
And it's a flawed discussion from the get go since the Federal Income Tax is not the only federal tax AND it only makes up just over half of all federal revenues.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If they receive a variety of credits and entitlements which equal a positive return to roughly 50% of tax payers, they arent paying.
They are paying income taxes. The credits and entitlements are merely returned in the same IRS programs. Except if we separated the two, you wouldn't have such a Fox News-esque argument as "half the country doesn't pay taxes."

Quote:
Tell me Konraden, do you walk into a car dealership and tell the dealership you'll pay $25,000 for a new car, but only if they give you a $30,000 credit, negotating with them that you are indeed paying?
Actually, that's an apt analogy. You see, the dealership--when you buy the car--gives you your credits and rebates on the spot on the same bill. The IRS does the same thing.

On the other hand, a lot of smaller products you buy, such as a clock-radio, come with separate mail-in rebates. You pay up front for the radio, but the rebate comes in the mail which reduces the price. That's the difference between our current system which muddies the water between the two, and a system which would have a department which handled the credits. Perhaps a human-services division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies