U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 PM
 
29,409 posts, read 19,168,736 times
Reputation: 5440

Advertisements

Better get ya a side of beef while the gettin is good. Price of beef will skyrocket soon not that it hasn't been going up already. Milk too. Corn going to fuel cars for the globals now so too.

Drought Withers Smallest Hay Crop in Century to Boost Beef Costs - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 9,584,405 times
Reputation: 2689
Specify "IN TEXAS", for crying out loud. In WNY, we are dry but the farmers are on the 3ed cutting already! Corn has recently spiked like mad.

A bad crop in one state does not mean a price raise for all -- yep, upstate NY raises beef and milk cattle -- and most graze all summer! The hay is for winter.

You get people upset over one state and they will think it is all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
69,882 posts, read 35,667,033 times
Reputation: 15188
Last time I cut hay, was last October. My stock tanks are dry, too. So, they are getting County water.

Been buying hay, from a buddy in East Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM
 
29,986 posts, read 37,963,638 times
Reputation: 12782
Yep, the agriculture journals have been printing this for nearly a month. The high plains is doing well with hay and has had 2 cuttings already despite their very late Spring. Texas cattle herds will take at least 3-4 years to recover from the culling this year. More worrisome is that the TX/OK drought could be a prolonged weather pattern. They need several tropical storms or level 1 hurricanes that make it well into the panhandle before they can begin to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 74,043,507 times
Reputation: 27598
They are baling the corn stalks and selling that. First time in 12 years I've seen them baling the corn stalks in the field next to me.

Cattle are being sold left and right. I've already had 2 people approach me to lease 30 acres of my pasture and each one is sweetening the deal..good fencing, water, woods to get out of the sun, attached corral and squeeze shoot..perfect for running cattle.

One offered to seed all my pastures in the fall (if it looks like we'll get rain) and also offered a steer next spring.
The other offered to build some 3 sided shelters around the pasture.

I even acquired a donkey last week as the owner is so bad off he was going to shoot it. My neighbor took it home to my corral because he just couldn't let that happen. Healthy donkey..was out in the fields guarding but no one wanted to buy him.
It's bad out here in Texas. Hay coming in from out of state is getting top dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 PM
 
29,409 posts, read 19,168,736 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Specify "IN TEXAS", for crying out loud. In WNY, we are dry but the farmers are on the 3ed cutting already! Corn has recently spiked like mad.

A bad crop in one state does not mean a price raise for all -- yep, upstate NY raises beef and milk cattle -- and most graze all summer! The hay is for winter.

You get people upset over one state and they will think it is all over.
When NY provides beef and hay for the entire country let me know yeller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:29 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
69,882 posts, read 35,667,033 times
Reputation: 15188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hay coming in from out of state is getting top dollar.


East Texas has had some decent rainfall.

I have been paying $115 for round bales, south of Huntsville.
I haul them to Gonzales.

I'm getting the most I ever have, at auction for calves.

Even my old cows, that have not produced in the last two cycles, got top dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 23,780,222 times
Reputation: 11654
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yep, the agriculture journals have been printing this for nearly a month. The high plains is doing well with hay and has had 2 cuttings already despite their very late Spring. Texas cattle herds will take at least 3-4 years to recover from the culling this year. More worrisome is that the TX/OK drought could be a prolonged weather pattern. They need several tropical storms or level 1 hurricanes that make it well into the panhandle before they can begin to recover.
Luckily that we're exiting out of the La Niña phase so we should be seeing rainfall into Texas later this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 74,043,507 times
Reputation: 27598
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
East Texas has had some decent rainfall.

I have been paying $115 for round bales, south of Huntsville.
I haul them to Gonzales.

I'm getting the most I ever have, at auction for calves.

Even my old cows, that have not produced in the last two cycles, got top dollar.
My son is out in College Station and tells me it was raining almost every day. Not for long mind you but some. Last time I was there I took him to Denny's and it started raining and I ran over to the window to look out because I have almost forgotten what rain looks like ! The grasses there still have some green to them.

My ranch in Milam county has some green too but here in Austin...brown or dead and with the clay the cracks are big enough to lose a kid !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Ohio
20,942 posts, read 14,827,470 times
Reputation: 17228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Specify "IN TEXAS", for crying out loud. In WNY, we are dry but the farmers are on the 3ed cutting already! Corn has recently spiked like mad.
It will get worse. Be ready. April 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are baling the corn stalks and selling that.
Yeah, but I but corn bales don't tear your hands and arms up like hay bales do. I used to hate loading hay into the barns (but it was good fun and okay money).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top