Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,010,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I think for a lot of people it is not the method of marriage that is important, but the meaning of it. Therefore, whoever marries a couple may not be important to them.
go to vegas 25 bucks and in 2 minutes your done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
There is no debate. The government cannot establish or advance any particular religion in this country. Originally that only applied to Congress and the federal level. The USSC case, Gitlow v. New York applied it to state and local government as well.
You is a warmer, I think. You say there is no debate just like the warmers do about their pseudo-science. If there were no debate I think that no debate would be taking place.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
There has to be some governmental regulation of marriage to establish minimal standards because not everyone in this country belongs to an organized religion. Suppose two atheists want to get married. Who will they go to in order to do that?
Another atheist? After all they belong to the same cult.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM

954 posts, read 1,278,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You is a warmer, I think. You say there is no debate just like the warmers do about their pseudo-science. If there were no debate I think that no debate would be taking place.
You can debate all you want, there is, however, no debate legally speaking, it is established law.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
You can debate all you want, there is, however, no debate legally speaking, it is established law.
It is established even if I don't interpret that part of the Amendment the same as you do? Not one word in that Amendment says anything about Separation of Church and State. It has been interpreted as such by secular thinking people. Now I don't want to fight about it but maybe you need to read it one more time and see just how wrong I am.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

You say established law and the Amendment says there can be no laws. I just have to keep on questioning the establishment of a law that is not allowed. You can be as secular as you please but there just is no word in that part that says what you want it to say. Once again, interpretation is ok but we don't interpret those words as saying what you demand.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM

954 posts, read 1,278,912 times
Quote:
It is established even if I don't interpret that part of the Amendment the same as you do? Not one word in that Amendment says anything about Separation of Church and State. It has been interpreted as such by secular thinking people. Now I don't want to fight about it but maybe you need to read it one more time and see just how wrong I am.
Like I said, you can debate it, but legally speaking, the issue is settled and has been for a while now.

The absence of a particular phrase (or way to phrase a concept) does not make for a compelling argument.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,272,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Atheism is also a form of religion... ..
A dictionary is your friend, my friend.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Atheism is also a form of religion...
I think that you should look up what placing the letter "a" in front of words like theist stand for.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,272,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that you should look up what placing the letter "a" in front of words like theist stand for.
Rush Limbaugh said it's a religion, so it must be true, Rush said so. Yup, he sure did.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,904,634 times
Quote:
Another atheist? After all they belong to the same cult.
Quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

You say established law and the Amendment says there can be no laws. I just have to keep on questioning the establishment of a law that is not allowed. You can be as secular as you please but there just is no word in that part that says what you want it to say. Once again, interpretation is ok but we don't interpret those words as saying what you demand.
I am no atheist. But I respect their right to choose what they want to be. So tell me, what religion should they be according to you? If you mention any religion, you are no different than the Imams in our "allies the Kingdom of Saud."

To be clear, your interpretation is that Congress can establish particular religions as the state religion such as Methodist or Baptist, but cannot inhibit other religions from practicing? How would Congress decide what religion to establish as the national religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies