Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
a good home is a pleasure when it is yours and cheaper than renting who cares about appreciation. My daughters love staying in their old rooms when visiting.a house is a family home not some get rich quick investment.
I really like how you think, truth to it, home is where you HANG YOUR HAT! Where ever your Hat may lay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The American dream was a marketging ploy to get Americans to buy products. Since we now choose to betray America by buying foriegn products the dream works against us
Still the same circular dream but the circle got bigger. Does that bother you that other people are starting to enjoy the life your family does?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
bummer on the chinese drywall,I buy nothing chinese. even if I have to go to an antique store to buy American its the same price and will last 3 more generations.good luck to you
We had no clue that the drywall was from China. No one who bought during the boom did. The developers and builders who did this to so many people should be in jail.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
My American dream (as a 25 year old) is to have the freedom to pursue prosperity in my own life without the government getting in the way more than it already does.

I don't trust the baby boomers who run businesses today (they caused Enron, the financial crisis, borrowed too much and saved too little)

I don't trust the government (both republicans and democrats squabble with each other over which side of the isle is more powerful with absolute disregard for the well being of citizens)

Just leave me alone and let me take care of myself and my family.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Having a job that pays a livable income I think should be the American dream. People in the United States of America should be happy that they generally don't have to live with mom and dad until they are 30 like in most industrialized countries of the world.

My personal American dream has always been a little under the standard.

I have NO problem renting until my 50s. I don't plan on buying any home until I can do so with cash. I'm 23 now, so hopefully I will save up by then. I also don't see the moral dilemma with raising a family in a rental. I have been living in a home made of chinese drywall for over three years. The calamities that have befallen this house over the years and the dreadful battles I have fought to fix the house have pretty much deterred me from ever buying a home. Who the hell would want to go through this crap!? My ex and I have been packing up the home for the past two weeks because we finally caved in and decided to pay to have our drywall replaced ourselves. The price tag alone is more than most homes! We have to move into a temporary rental until it is finished. Such a headache! Home ownership, from what I have seen, is an American nightmare!!!!

I would like a gas efficient car, not a fast one (the fast one is often depicted as being part of the American Dream). I am not adverse to public transit though, as long as the public transit is efficient and safe.

I think that part of the American dream should also be to have access to affordable education.
If you're renting, why are you fixing the place? Why don't you move?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,869 times
I always thought the American dream was a big fantasy.Dreaming of a big house,nice yard,two cars in the garage plus a wife/husband 2 kids .Pure dream feast . All you need is a roof over your head ,food in your stomach and more importantly a job .

Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
"To have a Job." Why is that the Dream? I would say to have an income is the dream. A job is just one means. After all the kids of the wealthy have incomes without a job. Why not the rest of us? Besides in a future where the really productive well paid industrial jobs will be done by robots where are the good jobs coming from? Service workers don't create very much wealth so are not paid very well so they don't provide the dream income. What will?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...worked since i was 15 years old, no college education, bought my first house at age 24, raised three kids, worked for the same non-union company in the dreaded private sector for forty years, retired at 58 and now livin' the dream in hawai'i......that, my friend, was the american dream...

What a great story luv it. No college education, you have certainly come a long way, and Good for you. Enjoy your life.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times
Have we all become a nation of Willy Lomans?

Not seeing the reality of our lives, everything based on daydreams and delusion.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
The American Dream always was a deluded fantasy that made everyone think they would someday be wealthy. It's not even possible for everyone to reach such a status no matter how hard they work and how deregulated things are.

I've never heard an American dream that said everyone could be wealthy.

And BTW, deregulation is what fuels the American dream. Regulation kills it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies