Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
I just saw Food, Inc. & let's just say I was stunned at the decline of the food industry here. All the way from Monsanto to the federal government & everything in between. It all intertwines. It's sickening. Do you guys know, if you buy those little seed packets at say just a neighborhood nursery or Stein's, are those in connection w/Monsanto at all? I'm discouraged by the amount of reading I need to do to try to make sure the food I eat isn't connected to Monsanto or Tyson, Perdue, etc. Legislation.....that's the only way. Legislation & regulation.
Uh . . Legislation & regulation is what would seem to been proven to fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The way I see it, it's a little more money up front, or a lot more money on the back end if you eat crap. I'm sure you feel the same way.
Poisoned food is cheaper, allowing you to eat much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,984,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
sad news indeed.roger that on growing you own till the monsanto frankenplants cross pollinate and ruin them forever
Just make sure you have at least 5 native flowering plant
species in your immediate growing area and you'll be just fine

Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM

253 posts, read 200,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Uh . . Legislation & regulation is what would seem to been proven to fail.
No, the nastiness of the food industry is because there is not enough regulation. Please watch Food, Inc., you'll know what I mean afterward.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
No, the nastiness of the food industry is because there is not enough regulation. Please watch Food, Inc., you'll know what I mean afterward.
The cops are on the take - from the Captain on down.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,397,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Just make sure you have at least 5 native flowering plant
species in your immediate growing area and you'll be just fine
That is interesting Polly. What does that do? Tell us more!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,397,957 times
Quote:
There aren't enough regulations for the BIG FOOD and BIG AGRA companies and WAY TOO MUCH REGULATION of the small farmers, organic farmers and Americans trying to grow food in their front yard!

A lot of the contamination issues can be addressed by simple cleaning but the BIG AGRA people dn't want to be bothered.

Also watch "Food Matters" This is a GREAT documentary. It is free on YouTube.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
Quote:
Just the opposite. The further removed you are from the day to day the less you care about how it is run.

A corporate CEO sitting in a corner window office in a big city doesn't care how the slaughter plant is run.

Compare that to the small farmer who raises his animal, direct sells it and brings it to a local small time slaughterhouse.

The big guys don't care and have enough money to buy their way out of trouble plus have lobbyists in DC to watch over their interests.

The small farmer doesn't. His rep and his animals is what he has.

The government has let monopolies form in the food industry and are in each other's pockets. More regulation is not going to bring you safer food.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
Has anyone read where there was a food poison outbreak traced back to a direct sale from a farm or a Farmer's Market ?

They all come from these big Ag places folks.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM

253 posts, read 200,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There aren't enough regulations for the BIG FOOD and BIG AGRA companies and WAY TOO MUCH REGULATION of the small farmers, organic farmers and Americans trying to grow food in their front yard!

A lot of the contamination issues can be addressed by simple cleaning but the BIG AGRA people dn't want to be bothered.

Also watch "Food Matters" This is a GREAT documentary. It is free on YouTube.
Exactly! I'll see if that's on Netflix as well. What I found interesting was the farmers who don't use Monsanto seed but if their seed gets crossed w/a neighboring crop of Monsanto, that farmer can get fined....or is it sued? I forget what the practice is butI found that to be outrageous.
And also, the feds arresting the illegal immigrants that work at I think they were talking about maybe Tyson or Perdue but conveniently wiping the slate clean for the actual company. No tickets, nothing. But get rid of the poor worker who was hired by them & is making a decent enough wage. What hypocrisy that goes on, it's disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies