Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Competition would soon bring the price down as our own, start to take care of the demand immediately, if the government would get out of the way, so it doesn't take so long to have an idea and the time it takes from government red tape, to have a factory producing it.
No, there is no way to compete with third world wages in manufacturing, not even if you "took the government out of the way", like you say, and let factories dump their waste byproducts whereever they felt like.

Even cheap workers like right-to-work semiskilled manufacturing in the deep south is far more expensive than Vietnam or China.

People who want to stop trading with these countries probably just don't understand how trade benefits them. I don't think they have any concept whatsoever of the idea that the prices of what they buy is low, because we trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
just because we are imbalanced, does not mean we can't have balance.
what the hell does that even mean? if person "A" has a table to sell for 50.00 and person "B" has the exact same table for 25.00, which one would i buy??? ......let me think about that one.

over regulation and taxation has killed jobs in this country, along with feel good dumbasses that thinks its ok to loan money to a person that has no possible way of paying it back, much like the rest of the world does for our very own government.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
No, there is no way to compete with third world wages in manufacturing, not even if you "took the government out of the way", like you say, and let factories dump their waste byproducts whereever they felt like.

Even cheap workers like right-to-work semiskilled manufacturing in the deep south is far more expensive than Vietnam or China.

Whoa there Hoss!
Are you getting confused here in this discussion?

You went off in the direction of if there were trade tariff taxes. Now your jumping back to as if there are none.
That would keep us from having to compete with them all together.

You seriously think someone is stupid enough to put a trade tariff on oil imports? Let's be serious here. What else do those nations export here.
You send us oil, free trade is negotiable!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi
if our leaders had these attitudes towards trade, then we would be even more screwed than we are now.

people talk about gas prices going up, and how that hurts the economy -- well, if we restricted trade, the price of damn near everything would go up, while the quality and supply of it went down. Being a free and open market is America's trump card.

I said::
For only a very short period of time. The American is really good about pouncing on an opportunity. Competition would soon bring the price down as our own, start to take care of the demand immediately, if the government would get out of the way, so it doesn't take so long to have an idea and the time it takes from government red tape, to have a factory producing it.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
what the hell does that even mean?
if you have a generous social safety net and a wide open border, you're imbalanced. If you have wide open trade and strict minimum wage laws, or oppressive unions, you're imbalanced.

balance would be a generous social safety net and a strict immigration policy, or a lax safety net with an open immigration policy.

Quote:
if person "A" has a table to sell for 50.00 and person "B" has the exact same table for 25.00, which one would i buy??? ......let me think about that one.
i don't know what you're babbling about.

Quote:
over regulation and taxation has killed jobs in this country, along with feel good dumbasses that thinks its ok to loan money to a person that has no possible way of paying it back, much like the rest of the world does for our very own government.
genius, considering how we deregulated and detaxed for nearly 2 decades leading up to the economic meltdown.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:

People who want to stop trading with these countries probably just don't understand how trade benefits them. I don't think they have any concept whatsoever of the idea that the prices of what they buy is low, because we trade.
No one here wrote anything regarding stopping trade.

I do understand trade as I manage exports in my firm. Perhaps instead of condescending us you can provide useful responses instead of criticism.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Whoa there Hoss!
Are you getting confused here in this discussion?

You went off in the direction of if there were trade tariff taxes. Now your jumping back to as if there are none.
Huh? Yeah, i'm confused. you've said a lot of stuff that is factually incorrect, and I'm trying to tie together your sentence fragments and messy web of cause-and-effect.

Quote:
That would keep us from having to compete with them all together.
What? Keep who from having to compete with who? what is "all together"?

Quote:
You seriously think someone is stupid enough to put a trade tariff on oil imports?
If we put a tarriff up, it needs to apply across the board. Any other way and we'd be subsidizing certain industries and creating price distortions, like a banana republic.

Quote:
Let's be serious here. What else do those nations export here.
You send us oil, free trade is negotiable!!!
?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Being a free and open market is America's trump card, which helps us maintain the dollar as the world's reserve currency.

I see you edited your post after I replied, so here it is, to your added edit:

We had been the worlds currency for 43 years, before trade tariffs were dropped, and in 10 years of free trade and open borders, there is now serious talks about that not being the case anymore.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No one here wrote anything regarding stopping trade.
the purpose of a tarriff is to restrict trade.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
We had been the worlds currency for 43 years, before trade tariffs were dropped, and in 10 years free trade and open borders, there is now serious talks about that not being the case anymore.
trade tariffs have never been dropped, fully. we have tariffs right now.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
There are several things our government can easily do to bring jobs back to the USA.
There are too many globalist in our Political elite, to ever have that happen anytime soon.

Everyone seems to have a tick one way or the other for Donald Trump, but he is spot on on this.

One or the other....

1.) Unions, Rules, Regulations, and Taxes, with sky high Trade Tariffs Taxes and strict immigration laws, that are enforced with vengeance, to protect our workforce from jobs leaving for, less to no, Unions, Rules, Regulations, or Taxes and illegal immigration(slaves) running out of control and favored, in other nations.

2.) Free and open trade, with wide open borders. No Rules,regulations, taxes, or Unions. No minimum wages no labor laws what so ever. No entitlements, welfare and very minimal social programs.

Anything in between in today's world, is extinction.
Let's say that a professional white collar worker in America makes $80K a year - not unrealistic. That same worker in India or China will cost the same company $20K because of the difference of cost of living reflected in the exchange rates.

Explain to me how your plan will make us competitive with workers who make 1/4 to 1/3 what we do half-way across the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies