Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are several things our government can easily do to bring jobs back to the USA.
There are too many globalist in our Political elite, to ever have that happen anytime soon.

Everyone seems to have a tick one way or the other for Donald Trump, but he is spot on on this.

One or the other....

1.) Unions, Rules, Regulations, and Taxes, with sky high Trade Tariffs Taxes and strict immigration laws, that are enforced with vengeance, to protect our workforce from jobs leaving for, less to no, Unions, Rules, Regulations, or Taxes and illegal immigration(slaves) running out of control and favored, in other nations.

2.) Free and open trade, with wide open borders. No Rules,regulations, taxes, or Unions. No minimum wages no labor laws what so ever. No entitlements, welfare and very minimal social programs.

Anything in between in today's world, is extinction.
Unions were necessary and will be again, but right now they are part of the problem. We are so focused on jobs - jobs - jobs -

We are a nation of entrepreneurs and free people.
We need to de-regulate SMALL business and create jobs for ourselves.

We need solutions by the many (bottom up), not by the few (top down).
If anything we need to get the few out of our way and allow us to be prosperous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
There are several things our government can easily do to bring jobs back to the USA..

We could start by getting government out of the way and totally eliminating corporate income taxes (which are paid by American consumers).

Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

We are a nation of entrepreneurs and free people.
We need to de-regulate SMALL business and create jobs for ourselves.

We need solutions by the many (bottom up), not by the few (top down).
If anything we need to get the few out of our way and allow us to be prosperous.

I assume the "few" is Obama and Congress.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Look, Americans have to change their way of thinking. This happens every once in a great while. The population gets used to a certain way of living and thinking and expectation, and then the world changes and turns us on our ears.

We have to be more flexible and change the way we approach work and what we can offer each other and the world. We can't go back. That's not going to work. We have to roll with the changes and change ourselves. Trying to go back to manufacturing or unions or whatever to recapture 'the good old days' is not going to cut it.

The people who have figured that out and have figured out how to play on a global scale are already getting ahead of the game. For example, a classmate of mine from high school created a company that does media relations. It's the first of its kind and he has already worked with brands from all over the world. This is a 30-something year-old who now owns a 10 million dollar bicoastal company and employs 40 people...and they are growing because they can serve the needs of the whole world.

I know this other dude who has figured out a way to become a middle-man for airplane parts. He created his own job while dealing with parts companies, and now he goes all over the world and works special orders.

People are finding ways, and they ARE employing Americans to work for them. We need to find ways to encourage their entrepreneurialism and support the jobs they create for others. Heavy taxes, heavy regs, and all sorts of impediments are not the way to do it.

I know that as Americans, we have grown used to having things handed to us. "Go to college, and they'll hand you a great job!" "We need this and that and that and this for free!" "My first house has to have granite countertops and a big screen tv!" "Where's my health care benefits and 401k matching?!!" "I only want to work 40 hours a week!"

Well, it's not going to be that way for a while, my friends. I don't know if it ever will be again. But if we hope to approach the status we used to be at, we're going to have to have the government loosen up on these guys who make the jobs for us, we're going to have to loosen up on restrictions that make it hard for Joe Entrepreneur to start and perpetuate his own business, and we're going to have to step back and reevaluate our priorities.

We've gotten fat and lazy and entitled and whiny and it's time we strapped on our work boots and headed out.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
There are several things our government can easily do to bring jobs back to the USA.
There are too many globalist in our Political elite, to ever have that happen anytime soon.

Everyone seems to have a tick one way or the other for Donald Trump, but he is spot on on this.

One or the other....

1.) Unions, Rules, Regulations, and Taxes, with sky high Trade Tariffs Taxes and strict immigration laws, that are enforced with vengeance, to protect our workforce from jobs leaving for, less to no, Unions, Rules, Regulations, or Taxes and illegal immigration(slaves) running out of control and favored, in other nations.
You forgot the sky-high taxes on everyone, including the Stupid Class, oops, I meant the Middle Class.

You will have no choice but to subsidize your corporations with tax dollars to do 2 things; 1) pay your over-priced union workers and 2) prevent foreign companies from taking over your companies, shutting them down, and firing all the workers.

Do the math. US is 4.5% of the Global Market.

You sell your widgets for $49/each.

Foreign competitors sell their widgets for $29/each.

Who will grab 90% of the Global market? Foreign competitors. And with their cash, they will buy up your companies through hostile take-overs and leveraged buyouts and then dump your workers.

Quote:
Not in the way the world works today. Everyone is trying to get on the same page.
And why exactly would Jesus be upset with that?

Oh, yeah, I forgot. The Sermon on the Oil Rig

Conoco 3:12 Blessed is he who oppresses his neighbor economically and starves his neighbor's children, for then he shall be able to consume like a locust.

Quote:
Not everyone will ever be on the same page and there in lies the problem.
Then why did you create the problem in the first place?

BRIC has an extreme advantage over you: hindsight.

They can see the gross errors you made and avoid them. You foreign policy oppressed countries to keep them from developing, so that they could not compete against you economically.

Except you lost control of your animal and BRIC is running around developing all the countries you tried to oppress.

The wage disparity between the US and other countries is 125x, but the wage disparity between BRIC and its developing trading partners is not so great at all.

Not much difference between a Russian earning $500-$600/month and someone in a developing country earning $120/month.

The difference between you and BRIC is that perhaps BRIC won't have the outrageous standard of living that you have, but they will have a very nice standard of living, and more importantly, they'll have something you won't have: jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree with your last statement. And until China and other 3rd world pieces of s*** countries have to start playing by the same rules that we have in reference to regulations, there will always be the imbalance.
The mere thought of non-white people having a standard of living equal to people in the US circa 1910 must frighten you terribly.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You forgot the sky-high taxes on everyone, including the Stupid Class, oops, I meant the Middle Class.

You will have no choice but to subsidize your corporations with tax dollars to do 2 things; 1) pay your over-priced union workers and 2) prevent foreign companies from taking over your companies, shutting them down, and firing all the workers.

Do the math. US is 4.5% of the Global Market.

You sell your widgets for $49/each.

Foreign competitors sell their widgets for $29/each.

Who will grab 90% of the Global market? Foreign competitors. And with their cash, they will buy up your companies through hostile take-overs and leveraged buyouts and then dump your workers.

And why exactly would Jesus be upset with that?

Oh, yeah, I forgot. The Sermon on the Oil Rig

Conoco 3:12 Blessed is he who oppresses his neighbor economically and starves his neighbor's children, for then he shall be able to consume like a locust.

Then why did you create the problem in the first place?

BRIC has an extreme advantage over you: hindsight.

They can see the gross errors you made and avoid them. You foreign policy oppressed countries to keep them from developing, so that they could not compete against you economically.

Except you lost control of your animal and BRIC is running around developing all the countries you tried to oppress.

The wage disparity between the US and other countries is 125x, but the wage disparity between BRIC and its developing trading partners is not so great at all.

Not much difference between a Russian earning $500-$600/month and someone in a developing country earning $120/month.

The difference between you and BRIC is that perhaps BRIC won't have the outrageous standard of living that you have, but they will have a very nice standard of living, and more importantly, they'll have something you won't have: jobs.

The mere thought of non-white people having a standard of living equal to people in the US circa 1910 must frighten you terribly.

Ummmmm... yeah... nice back handed comment in trying to paint me as racist! However; when you quoted me you conveniently left out the fact that I mentioned that China, and other countries over there do not have human rights and environment as a priority. Based on your post you seem to be OK with people making 3 cents a day, or having children producing your said widgets. In other words it's nothing short of slavery! But hey whatever "you got yours, so f*** everyone else!" Furthermore; I am for this country first! Are you suggesting that Americans should work in crappy conditions, and should make s***y wages just so we can compete with other countries who don't play by the rules of that rest of the industrialized nations have to play by?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I assume the "few" is Obama and Congress.
I wouldn't put a specific name on it . . .

The 'few' are the President & Congress

I really don't see much difference in who wears the hat as far as policies that benefit big business and hamper small business.

It has always frustrated me that small business drives the lion share of GDP but Big Business gets all the breaks . . .

Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the purpose of a tarriff is to restrict trade.

Understood.

Tariff should be for the government to receive the tax revenue not realized due to an item being produced out of country. Taxes would be normally received if produced domestically by the different actors involved in the process. These do not occur with international production.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Free Trade with Nations that have the same exact Union laws, Regulations, Rules and Taxes as we do.
You mean, regulated free trade?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Understood.

Tariff should be for the government to receive the tax revenue not realized due to an item being produced out of country. Taxes would be normally received if produced domestically by the different actors involved in the process. These do not occur with international production.
fair enough; i do not think we should try and pursue tax revenue in this fashion.
The reason being, it has side effects.

I think trade should be encouraged because it increases the division of labor, which creates wealth. Tariffs discourage that process.

Now, the increased wealth isn't ending up in the form of wages and salaries... which is a problem, but not one related to tariffs, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies