Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Too late Texan, I posted about certain failure with the Commission already!! I see partisanship from the Senate Dems appointments already which means the Commission is DOA before it even started... congrats to the Dems!!
Yes I saw your thread yesterday and read the article.
This one came out today and had statements from the other minority/majority leaders.

While we don't have all the names yet, we have a pretty good idea that this will be a dead-on hyper-partisan group with loyalty to the party first and the people second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
[quote=HappyTexan;20398258 While we don't have all the names yet, we have a pretty good idea that this will be a dead-on hyper-partisan group with loyalty to the party first and the people second.[/quote]

We have them now :

Quote:
House [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Speaker[/color][/color] John Boehner chose House Republican Conference Chairman Jeb Hensarling of Texas, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp of Michigan and House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton of Michigan.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell chose Sens. Jon Kyl of Arizona, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Rob Portman of Ohio to represent the Senate GOP.
Read more: Super Debt Committee Takes Shape As Republicans Appoint Their Six - FoxNews.com

I am not too familiar with Boehner's picks but I do like the pick of Toomey who ran the Club for Growth. Any thoughts on the picks?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
The opinions are varied on the choices for the new committee. On the surface some of the republican choices appear to entrenched with the no new revenues refrain, however, some analysts are opining that at least none of the choices are bomb throwers or arsonists.

Portman has been mentioned as a possible consensus builder in this group. The world markets are in turmoil, and they are looking to the United States to possibly show direction and movement, and get off the flamethrowing and daggers.

I dont think we are asking for revolutinary concepts here. We are just asking everybody to put aside their idealogical armor and messages, and do the right thing for the country. Doing the right thing means negotiating in a meaningful fashion--------its does not mean refusing to budge on anything on the table regarding revenue increases.

The dems need to bugde on movement on entitlements and the repubs need to get over themselves on revenue reforms. Revenue reforms can take place without tax increases----i.e. tax code reforms, cutting hideous loopholes, and perhaps adherance to the proposition that even super corporations may have to pay a least a dime to the IRS.

Look I know we need to get to work on debt reduction-----some pain is going to be felt here. The thing that irks me the most on these boards is the proud assertion by some that they havent paid anything to the irs for many years and they are proud of it. Those are the loopholes that need to be addressed, so that there may be some semblance of balance restored.

Close to 50% of prospective taxpayers dont pay a nickel to the irs-----and this includes a ton of wealthy people who gleefully employ high powered tax attorneys to find every loophole they can. Lets change this--------lets reform the tax codes, and eliminate the magical loopholes----if that offends some ---well Im sorry----join the taxpayers club of America.

If you havent paid taxes for years and basked in loopholes, how can you argue agaisnt tax increases----you havent paid anything for years, and unless loopholes are plugged, you have no intention of ever contributing a nickel.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
yeah i second that emotion.
That's whatsup.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Well, I guess a Super Secret Congressional Secret Committtee needs a SuperPAC to go with it. Here you go:

Quote:
AFL-CIO creates SuperPAC in political revamp

SILVER SPRING, Md. - The AFL-CIO will create a "SuperPAC," a separate campaign finance committee that can communicate with the general public - and raise money without any contribution limits - as part of an overall revamp of its political operation, Michael Podhorzer, the federation's new political director, says.

In an interview with reporters covering the AFL-CIO Executive Council meeting in Silver Spring, Md., Podhorzer said that although details of the SuperPAC remain to be flushed out, the aim is clear: the labor movement is seeking to expand its influence in the political arena beyond its own membership.

AFL-CIO creates SuperPAC in political revamp » peoplesworld

Quote:
AFL-CIO Plans "Super PAC" to Boost Campaign Contributions

Richard Trumka, the burly president of the AFL-CIO, believes the climate for an upsurge in union organizing couldn't be better. And just to make sure that the federation and its member unions can take advantage of opportunities to get out the pro-union vote, Trumka (see photo) and top officials are laying the groundwork for their own version of what is fast becoming the ultimate campaign fundraising tool: a political action committee (PAC) which, unlike a standard PAC, faces virtually no limits on individual contributions or requirements to disclose donor identities. These "Super PACs," as they are known, have sprung up at warp speed in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling early last year. It's yet another example of how unions now function as much as political as economic forces.
AFL-CIO Plans "Super PAC" to Boost Campaign Contributions | National Legal and Policy Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies