Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Good objective article about the picks for this super Congress.
The "gang of 6" produced something. But opinions in this article say the hyper-partisanship seen in Congress will also be in this Super Congress.

And this article talks about both sides. The folks in Congress don't care about fixing our debt problems; they are more concerned with protecting their "sacred cows".

Gang of 6
"As former senator Alan Simpson—the respected co-leader of the Bowles-Simpson Commission—told me last week: “If you see the leadership not appointing members of the Gang of Six to the new commission of 12, you’ll know they don’t want to get anything done.” Well, that is what we are seeing right now.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has already drawn a stubborn line in the sand, saying he will not appoint anyone willing to even consider revenue increases.
Eric Cantor has reaffirmed his no-new-revenue pledge, while Nancy Pelosi has promised that entitlement reform will be avoided by her yet-to-be-announced appointees."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default super disaster

The concept of a super congress is a living memorial to the circle jerk that just resulted in raising the debt ceiling and doing nothing to reduce spending.

Hopefully the super congress will be humanely put to sleep after the next election.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
An agreement seems unlikely. That will put the onus on the OMB, to determine the specifics. Which is probably the intent anyway. Both Parties can say, "I didn't vote for that cut or that tax" as may be applicable for Campaign purposes or pledges.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Honestly, I think they should have put back that "Gang of 6" and called that the Super Congress because they did compromise and they did produce a plan.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Honestly, I think they should have put back that "Gang of 6" and called that the Super Congress because they did compromise and they did produce a plan.
So far the plan I like best is Simpson/Bowles and the reason being is there is some thing for everyone. The plan has tax cuts for all Americans breaking it into three brackets. And has military cuts such as getting rid of 1/3rd of bases around the world and 100 billion in cuts.

http://www.fiscalcommission.gov/site...hair_Draft.pdf

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
On Congress: Congressional news and analysis - POLITICO.com

Quote:
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is calling on all sessions of the yet-to-be-named deficit super committee to be open to the public and aired online.

A key feature of the debt ceiling agreement signed into law by President Barack Obama this week creates a committee of 12 members, divided equally between both parties and chambers, tasked with finding at least $1.2 trillion more in deficit cuts by Thanksgiving.

The law doesn’t require the meetings to be public.[Emphasis mine]
Your problems are just beginning.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah more transparency in government.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Too late Texan, I posted about certain failure with the Commission already!! I see partisanship from the Senate Dems appointments already which means the Commission is DOA before it even started... congrats to the Dems!!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah i second that emotion.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Nothign new here;I can';t recall a commissio that was ever paid attention to by gongresss or the presdient. the president hinslef rejected his own last commission afterall.The breaux commisio on SS was rejected with hillary saying SS was secure .This feburary the presidnet will again be wrned by trusteees as required by lawe on SS pending cisis and its likely the ame results. Gobernqamnt has been incrqasing debt at 10% per year and with last vote to increrase its at 100% of GDP. Greece was at 130% whne it came to crisis that it could not pay for what it spent.hat would eman if the can is kicked down the road that we are thre years from greece's situtaion where we can;t pay no matter what without massive cuts .I mean just lookig that a budget hasn't beeen passed in over 800 days by congress tells you where we really are in this government debt crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies