Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

China launches first aircraft carrier on maiden sea trial - Yahoo! News

Kingdom Tower to set a world record as the tallest new mega-skyscraper | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
You are one of many who don't know how to spell "lose" (which rhymes with looz). You used the word "loose" which means the opposite of tight.

As for the aircraft carrier - we should of course watch it. But they didn't build it from scratch. They bought a hull from the Ukraine built in the 1980s.

As for skyscrapers? The rest of the world has been chasing the worlds tallest building award for a long time. The Burj Khalif in Dubai is the current title holder and various buildings in Asia have held the title before that. So what?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I think China is going to need to re-enforce that Great Wall to keep out illegal American immigrants. They may need to take Rand Paul's advice and put an electric fence on it.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are one of many who don't know how to spell "lose" (which rhymes with looz). You used the word "loose" which means the opposite of tight.

As for the aircraft carrier - we should of course watch it. But they didn't build it from scratch. They bought a hull from the Ukraine built in the 1980s.

As for skyscrapers? The rest of the world has been chasing the worlds tallest building award for a long time. The Burj Khalif in Dubai is the current title holder and various buildings in Asia have held the title before that. So what?

I also put a S behind largest , and actually I should have said tallest, not largest, but that's what happens when I try to multi task and post fast within a break. Sorry for the errors.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
. . . and I have a hang-nail.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

The point I am trying to make is other parts of the world are chasing great things, we no longer are it seems.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
. . . and I have a hang-nail.

Its all good, America is no longer flourishing but at least defense contractors are flourishing right?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The point I am trying to make is other parts of the world are chasing great things, we no longer are it seems.
r

You are absolutely right and the irony is that structures like the Hoover Dam, Goldern Gate Bridge, George Washington Bridge, Triborough Bridge, now known as the Robert Kennedy Bridge were ALL built during the Depresson. The fact we no longer have the national or political will to undertake great infrastructure projects is really a testament to the national decline of America.

Also I was at this website recently:

List of longest bridges in the world

Notice how China and other Asian countries totally dominate this category at the top. The bridges for the United States are at least 40 years old.

One of the best things a country can do to ensure its long term growth is to maintain and expand it's infrastructure. Americans have totally neglected this fact for decades.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
r

You are absolutely right and the irony is that structures like the Hoover Dam, Goldern Gate Bridge, George Washington Bridge, Triborough Bridge, now known as the Robert Kennedy Bridge were ALL built during the Depresson. The fact we no longer have the national or political will to undertake great infrastructure projects is really a testament to the national decline of America.

Notice how China and other Asian countries totally dominate this category at the top. The bridges for the United States are at least 40 years old.

One of the best things a country can do to ensure its long term growth is to maintain and expand it's infrastructure. Americans have totally neglected this fact for decades.

Infrastructure projects are a waste of capital. Roads and bridges already exist going to the places people need to be. None of these expenditures create wealth. Wealth is created by be businesses that USE the roads and bridges.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
r

Hmmm....do we need any more big bridges? Have you considered that the big industrialization of the US occurred many decades ago and we are at a vastly different stage than China is?

Tall buildings are really meaningless to me. I like them as something to look at - but are they really meaningful? I am much more impressed that we created Microsoft and Google than a tall building in the Middle East that doesn't have full occupancy. The Boeing 787 will set the standard for mid-sized wide body aircraft. Twitter and Facebook are very real factors in enabling political activism all over the world.

China's much hyped maglev train has just a 19 mile track. BFD. If I raced the train on my bike - it would beat me by 45 minutes. So what?

I agree some of our infrastructure needs updating, but I think the need for it is overstated by politicians to justify more government spending.

Let's not forget China is polluting its air and water at record rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies