Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times

Advertisements

I like it. Everybody was crying about Cosby's approach (which was sensible and non-vulgar by the way). Perhaps this one will go over better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I'd rather have little kids listen to that then listen to the in's and out's of pimping. It's not vulgar. It's the only way to get that demographic to listen.
Both your comments are true, but awfully sad. It's as if that's the best we can expect, so we've given up trying.
Not to trump the OP, but about a decade ago I actually witnessed a Rap Video on the LA Unified School District channel (available here on regular TV). Two (as I recall) very proud lady educators were basking in the praises of the program moderator who was giving glowing approval of their new production. It was "terrific, hard-hitting, and the FIRST TIME some of these kids had taken ANY interest in science---and the kids were suddenly filled with the burning desire for learning" etc,. etc., etc.
The video was about Geology and its refrain was "Techtonic Plates, techtonic plates"...etc., ....A group of well-coordinated young folks proceeded to shimmy, spin, and gyrate their way through several verses telling us how "when them plates begin to shake, we're all about to have a QUAKE!!"....and so on and on...
It was "catchy" enough (I caught my foot tapping), but somehow seemed devoid of the true meaning of "learning", to me at least.....I don't know what they'd have done if a concept hadn't rhymed...left it out, perhaps?
Somehow I don't think Einstein and Edison were very "cool" people. Their desire for knowledge didn't depend on its being able to be "rapped" to. What's next, the "Bad Boyz explain quantum mechanics"? -----I don't know----somehow it just seems a little silly to me, and doesn't speak too well of those imagining that this indicates a "desire for knowledge"....but then , that's just my opinion...

Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times
Okay. I was waiting for someone who liked it to post just because I have an actual question, not just a rant on how vulgar it is, while I do agree and find it quite distasteful myself.

Parker...I have to assume you are a rap fan, so I'll go ahead and ask you. In terms of rap, is this considered good rap, or more like a joke, or is it like the rap version of school house rap...so school house rap? I'm curious because I'm not really sure who would listen to this. It sounds to me like school house rap so you would think that it would be geared towards younger children, but I have to imagine that not even the most insensible parents would expose their children to this music. As for it's place on BET, isn't the majority of the song a racist gesture AGAINST blacks?? This was a puzzling one for sure, and I'm not looking for debate, but just clarification.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Well honestly, I thought it was just satire since it was done in a cartoon. But if it is intended to be taken seriously, the actual message is good. I'm guessing the vulgarity was to draw people in. Is it racist against Blacks? No. I'm Black and all the time, I hear other Black people echoing the same exact sentiments that are in the song and trust me, they will say things that are much worse than that song.

I also think it was made to prove a point about the current state of rap music. Its the same tired ignorance portrayed in video after video after video. Silly phrases like "A Bay Bay" and "Wipe Me Down" are running rampant. Chicks shaking their behinds everywhere. So, they probably said lets take all of these ridiculous elements and see if folks will get the hint.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 PM

320 posts, read 296,992 times
Shocking Bush/Blair video:
YouTube - Bush n Blair - Gay Bar

Do you love it? :P

Well, *I* thought it was funny. *shrug

Old 08-21-2007, 06:56 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Both your comments are true, but awfully sad. It's as if that's the best we can expect, so we've given up trying.
Not to trump the OP, but about a decade ago I actually witnessed a Rap Video on the LA Unified School District channel (available here on regular TV). Two (as I recall) very proud lady educators were basking in the praises of the program moderator who was giving glowing approval of their new production. It was "terrific, hard-hitting, and the FIRST TIME some of these kids had taken ANY interest in science---and the kids were suddenly filled with the burning desire for learning" etc,. etc., etc.
The video was about Geology and its refrain was "Techtonic Plates, techtonic plates"...etc., ....A group of well-coordinated young folks proceeded to shimmy, spin, and gyrate their way through several verses telling us how "when them plates begin to shake, we're all about to have a QUAKE!!"....and so on and on...
It was "catchy" enough (I caught my foot tapping), but somehow seemed devoid of the true meaning of "learning", to me at least.....I don't know what they'd have done if a concept hadn't rhymed...left it out, perhaps?
Somehow I don't think Einstein and Edison were very "cool" people. Their desire for knowledge didn't depend on its being able to be "rapped" to. What's next, the "Bad Boyz explain quantum mechanics"? -----I don't know----somehow it just seems a little silly to me, and doesn't speak too well of those imagining that this indicates a "desire for knowledge"....but then , that's just my opinion...
Well, the goal here isn't to produce Einsteins, but rather to get some marginal students to graduate highschool and not become complete drains upon society. (Hey, better that they are working as a roofer etc. than selling crack). Groups of students need to be taught to different levels....go find my thread on gas prices here in the Michigan forum...those knuckleheads although likely graduates...even of college....had no clue of supply and demand nor of finance concepts like Beta and risk/return.

Benjamin Franklin was a party animal. :-)

Old 08-22-2007, 02:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
I thought it was funny and genius......Goes against everything Hip-Hop/Young materialistic culture preaches.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
Shocking Bush/Blair video:
YouTube - Bush n Blair - Gay Bar

Do you love it? :P

Well, *I* thought it was funny. *shrug
Goodie but oldie. Saw that right around Iraq invasion.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:11 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
I find it weird that when the rap is about making AA look bad, you don't care. When it's something intelligent and contriversal, it's "Oh MY God!"

Get a clue people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies