Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 AM

550 posts, read 604,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think a war to 'avenge deaths' would have been even MORE STUPID than a war to secure oil interests or to depose dangerous dictators or to stabilize/destabilize a region.
You seem like a pretty war-like person in general. Like you don't need a reason. One of those kill someone and take what's theirs and you're justified because you say so types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think a war to 'avenge deaths' would have been even MORE STUPID than a war to secure oil interests or to depose dangerous dictators or to stabilize/destabilize a region.
If I had adequate proof, I'd rather go to war to avenge deaths.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
95% (being conservative) of the things around you are made from or brought to you by oil or fossil fuels.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
95% (being conservative) of the things around you are made from or brought to you by oil or fossil fuels.
Okay.......

Old 08-13-2011, 01:54 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Oil companies haven't given any justification for the disparities in price. Are you speaking on their behalf????

Oh! And that's why you regulate.
Is a justification needed? If so,

Wages have been going up, The cost of business has been going up. Are you blind, or just intentionally ignoring facts.

I am not speaking for them, I am simply noting, as an intelligent human being with greater than a 2nd grade education, that as a norm, prices on many aspects of oil and it's refining into gas and delivering to your gas pump, go up, just like many other things. The cost of growing an ear of corn out of the ground doesn't go, but seeding, fertilizing, harvesting, deliver to grocery stores, stocking/selling, all go up, which increases the price we pay for an ear of corn.

Additionally gas is now required to have alcohol added, which is MUCH more expensive.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:05 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
"Question About Capitalism"

Right away the OP is wrong...no one should dare question anything about capitalism.Only anti-American commies do that!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
You must have been to the exception, I have been to dozens of Starbucks all over the nation and the one thing I count on is consistently good service. Big cities, small towns, off a highway etc. they are all excellent.

The sole exception are the Starbucks in supermarkets or other establishments. Most of the time those are just licensing the Starbucks name and the employees work for the store, not Starbucks.

Licensed Stores
I have only been to two. One of them was, indeed, in a grocery store. So that explains that. And the other one, I guess *was* the exception. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-13-2011, 02:30 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have only been to two. One of them was, indeed, in a grocery store. So that explains that. And the other one, I guess *was* the exception. LOL

20yrsinBranson
I was in one is Nebraska and I saw a sign saying the next Starbucks was 320 miles away, I joked about not being able to make it. The girl who made my drink gave me 5 of their VIA instant coffee packets and said, "you just need to find hot water and you should be able to make it."

That kind of thing happens a lot, I have been given $25 Gold Member cards, food, free drinks etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
I was listening to this guy describing a (somewhat exaggerated) situation that goes like this.

Lets say there is a Coffee place that's a small business. A Starbucks is close, down the street. The place that isn't Starbucks is obviously not doing huge business compared to Starbucks, who of course are have great business and making great money regardless of whether or not that local shop is there. Starbucks opens another location on the other side of the local Coffee Shop, then another one across the street, with the sole purpose of driving that local place out of business.

Is this totally justified under the guise of Capitalism, or is this selfishness and greed?
This is one reson most towns have zoning laws.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
I was listening to this guy describing a (somewhat exaggerated) situation that goes like this.

Lets say there is a Coffee place that's a small business. A Starbucks is close, down the street. The place that isn't Starbucks is obviously not doing huge business compared to Starbucks, who of course are have great business and making great money regardless of whether or not that local shop is there. Starbucks opens another location on the other side of the local Coffee Shop, then another one across the street, with the sole purpose of driving that local place out of business.

Is this totally justified under the guise of Capitalism, or is this selfishness and greed?
Rarely will you see the scenario you laid out. There are anti-trust and competition laws to help protect small business. Starbucks would be quickly out of business themselves if they focused on saturating the market to crush competition. It would be fiscal suicide. Companies like Starbucks are begun as small Mom & Pop businesses themselves. The fact is that Starbucks was only a single shop the first five years in business. They grew to three stores in the first twelve years. Not exactly the corporate raiders most people seem to envision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies