Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree to some extent....it's like when Roberts was up for the Supreme court and Ted Kennedy etc. were screaming how his nomination would end abortion.

Democrats have softened their stance on gun control....it used to be much tougher. So, in fairness the idea that democrats <> guns is residual.

P.S. The reason there will never be gun control is that Iowa, the Dakotas, Montana etc. all have 2 Senators. Remember, Daschle lost his seat for not supporting gun issues as he was preparing for a white house run and was trying to play to the democrat base. It's propaganda for BOTH parties....you'll hear all kinds of inner city rallies anti-gun to get votes.
Agreed. I posted in another thread how refreshing it will when the 2008 elections are done and we don't have to assume that when a politician opens his/her mouth that pandering is what will come out.

I have to add to your comments about why there will never be gun control: People by the millions are finally waking up to the fact that self-defense is up to the individual unless one is willing to live in a police state, something no self-respecting Democrat would wish for in a very bad nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Agreed. I posted in another thread how refreshing it will when the 2008 elections are done and we don't have to assume that when a politician opens his/her mouth that pandering is what will come out.

I have to add to your comments about why there will never be gun control: People by the millions are finally waking up to the fact that self-defense is up to the individual unless one is willing to live in a police state, something no self-respecting Democrat would wish for in a very bad nightmare.
Fair enough. This is one area where the NRA does a decent job by making sure that instances of favorable gun usage get into the press. I don't agree with some aspects of the NRA and applaud others....I guess you can say the same thing for groups like NAACP and the ACLU.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I will agree with the NRA. I will not accept the Aclu or others. They just ain't right. Where the hell did they come from?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:33 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Fair enough. This is one area where the NRA does a decent job by making sure that instances of favorable gun usage get into the press. I don't agree with some aspects of the NRA and applaud others....I guess you can say the same thing for groups like NAACP and the ACLU.
I'm not sure of the agendas of the NAACP and the ACLU; from some of their actions it seems as though they don't represent the best for the futures of those they are supposed to enhance. I have to admit I haven't paid much attention, however, so I shouldn't go too far in my judgments.

If the NRA would strive to more clearly separate themselves from being a political tool, the organization might gain back some of its support. You're right; they do manage to do some helpful things.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I will agree with the NRA. I will not accept the Aclu or others. They just ain't right. Where the hell did they come from?
Errrr.....the NAACP was founded in 1909 and fought Jim Crow, lunch counters and was at the center of the civil rights movement. On top of that they do a lot of good work with college scholarships for the underprivledged.

There is no question that they're unabashedly now the democrats lap dog...and you should feel sorry for them for that....but they aren't all bad as referenced above.

Another good example might be the catholic church, you might not like all the priest scandal stuff or other things....but go down to see who helps old people get meals or the poor kid get a warm coat for the winter and you'll see them out in force.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Gun Owners of America

A much more honest, and less political organization for gun rights.
In context , I find that to be very interesting -- my perception of GOA is very different. Would you be willing to post more details?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:52 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
It's amazing that there are still people in this day in age who are concerned about ANYONE taking away hunting guns. In fact, ANY guns. America isn't a country to accept gun control; it's foolish from the standpoint that it's a waste of time, energy, and money.

The government actions of the past particularly Democrats speak otherwise.They aren't out to take any guns away?I have some names for you to ponder,McCarthy,Schumner,Boxer,Clinton(s),Obama,Fe instein,Kennedy and more...

All Democrats,ones that liberals mostly support and vote for,some of whom have created gun bans and or constantly attempt to.Just recently they tried to dupe people into another ban using the failed logic of the Mexican drug crime as a excuse.The only reason they have backed off was public protest.

You may be liberal on some topics but please do not try to defend those liberal politicians when it comes to the 2nd amendment.

Will you join with me in calling for a repeal of the act of 1934?To be fair there have been a couple Republicans who supported bans also,like Bush senior but overall libs are the ones who look to curb 2nd amendment freedoms.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What do you mean by "they just ain't right"?

Some history on the ACLU, if you're interested:

American Civil Liberties Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-23-2009, 05:13 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What do you mean by "they just ain't right"?

Some history on the ACLU, if you're interested:

American Civil Liberties Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A quick look at the link confirm that the nation ACLU has cooperated with The Second Amendment Foundation on at least one 1st Amendment case. It is equally clear that at least one state ACLU has a completely different interpetation of the 2nd Amendment than that held the national ACLU , at least prior to last summer.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
How can you be anti NRA ??? It's the NRA that wants to make sure you keep the gun you go hunting with.
Your opinions seem to annoy other people! I wonder why..

Catfish Life member N.R.A.

Manigault's opinions annoy others because he's willing to sacrifice certain firearms because he's absolutely positive that his won't be endangered if only the current "bad" ones are done away with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies