Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Easy answer, in all every case it's the parents lack of guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:31 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
What Do You Think is the Number 1 Cause for Childhood Obesity in America?
The number one cause? Without a doubt, it's the constant redefining of the word "obese."

Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Childhood obesity, well obesity in general, is rapidly growing and oesn't show signs of stopping. There are several causes of it, but what do you think is the greatest cause, the one that has the most significant force on obesity. Here's my list that I believe are the causes in order:

1. Technology- video games, computers, TV
2. Parents not setting a good example or don't take any action to stopping their child from becoming obese.
3. Junk food. Everywhere you look, kids are getting junk food. Parents don't monitor their kids eating habits and kids don't know how bad it really is for you.
4. Lack of recreation near homes and businesses, there are some areas that have lots of recreation, and there is a lot that don't. This would encourage excercise.
5. Unwalkable suburbs. Most of America lives in suburbs. If suburbs, were walkable then we would all get more excercise. I know that in St. Paul there are many kids walking to houses and to the nearest mini mart and even to their summer jobs. I'm sureo ther dense cities, that are safe, do the same thing. We need to encourage suburbs to do so also.

So anything you like to add to this would be great or tell me what your causes are.
sugar filled foods including cereal and other breakfast items, lack of exercize and prepared foods, be it fast food (junk food) boxed meals, frozen foods whatever. BTW, most suburbs are walkable. The kids just have become accusom to mommy driving them.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies