Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:28 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforce11 View Post
They are the current leaders in the EU. The people of Germany have a history of being leaders. They think they are the best.

Is it only a matter of time until Germany tries to lead the world again?

I think the US bases in Germany are from 1945-2045.
Edit, some fool dug up another ancient thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Germany does not have the natural resource independence, nor the geographical advantages to be a superpower. They can be and are a strong regional power, but they cannot project power globally, they are surrounded by too many nations, they are too easy to blockade, and they are too dependent on other nations for key resources.

They are the central power of Europe, no doubt, but they have been off and on for the last 500 years. But to be a superpower requires a few more things Germany simply does not have, and will not have without a whole lot of conquest and imperialism first.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 AM

Germany is a great citizen of the world. They aren't interested in anything but a safe , prosperous country for their citizens to live in. Just like Japan. WW 2 was a long time ago.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:04 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Germany is a great citizen of the world. They aren't interested in anything but a safe , prosperous country for their citizens to live in. Just like Japan. WW 2 was a long time ago.
There's this as well.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I read a pretty good article that suggests Germany may become less involved with the West and move closer to Russia and China.

The Chinese are definitely crushing us on infrastructure and I could see how that could have an impact. (Meanwhile we spend our time squawking about guns and climate change).

Hans Kundnani | Germany Looks to Russia and China | Foreign Affairs

Old 02-09-2015, 01:56 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I read a pretty good article that suggests Germany may become less involved with the West and move closer to Russia and China.

The Chinese are definitely crushing us on infrastructure and I could see how that could have an impact. (Meanwhile we spend our time squawking about guns and climate change).

Hans Kundnani | Germany Looks to Russia and China | Foreign Affairs
The sucessful future for Germany lies in the exit of NATO and distancing itself from the transatlantic alliance and becoming more neutral. The future for economic growth for Germany is located in the East not in the West. You see already developments in the debate about providing arms to the Ukrianian Government which the German Government is rejecting. However all of this is purely academic as long as Germany is an occupied country and not a sovereign nation. Once the german people get rid of American and British Occupation and it is no more an American colony it can pursue it's successful future.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:25 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
No. None of the European nations will become superpowers again.

Germany will remain a powerful and prosperous nation. But no superpower.
America should be so lucky.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
The sucessful future for Germany lies in the exit of NATO and distancing itself from the transatlantic alliance and becoming more neutral. The future for economic growth for Germany is located in the East not in the West. You see already developments in the debate about providing arms to the Ukrianian Government which the German Government is rejecting. However all of this is purely academic as long as Germany is an occupied country and not a sovereign nation. Once the german people get rid of American and British Occupation and it is no more an American colony it can pursue it's successful future.
I've traveled to Germany many times, I have many relatives there. They all love America and absolutely do not want to see American Military presence leave. I'm talking about real Germans who matter, not liberal American hating lemmings.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I've traveled to Germany many times, I have many relatives there. They all love America and absolutely do not want to see American Military presence leave. I'm talking about real Germans who matter, not liberal American hating lemmings.
So only Germans that love America are "Real Germans"? German Anti-American sentiment is growing every day. Fueled by the United States lighting up Germany's backyard (Ukraine).
Your experience is an isolated one. You speak about anecdotal evidence.

NSA Spying Fallout: Majority of Germans Mistrust United States - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Only 35 % of Germans believe that the United States Government can be trusted.

Quote:
The survey, commissioned by public broadcaster ARD and daily newspaper Die Welt, found that only 35 percent of Germans considered the US government trustworthy -- numbers not seen since the times of highly unpopular President George W. Bush. Forty-three percent said they were satisfied with the work of US President Barack Obama. Just a year ago, he enjoyed the backing of 75 percent of Germans.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:43 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
So only Germans that love America are "Real Germans"? German Anti-American sentiment is growing every day. Fueled by the United States lighting up Germany's backyard (Ukraine).
Your experience is an isolated one. You speak about anecdotal evidence.

NSA Spying Fallout: Majority of Germans Mistrust United States - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Only 35 % of Germans believe that the United States Government can be trusted.
Those 35% are delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies