Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

If over 50% of Americans believe in same sex marriage then gays will not have a problem putting the issue to a vote. Each time people have voted it down though so they don't want to do that.
We're not a direct democracy. Civil rights are not voted on.

Quote:
By the way, no gay person is forced to go to Mr. Bachmann for anything, I think they do it voluntarily but you seem to think they are dragged there and have no will of their own. I give them more credit.
Thats because they've been brainwashed by people like him for their entire lives that being gay is a sin and evil. Brainwashed by people who haven't the foggiest understanding of the Bible that they use to condemn gays. If you spend your entire life being told you're an abomination, or abnormal, or unnatural, of course you're going to believe you should attempt to change it. Of course, scientific evidence shows that for the overwhelming majority of people, their sexual orientation will never change. Their behaviors may, but their attractions will never go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Jefferson rejected Jesus' divinity, miracles, salvation, the resurrection, the trinity, and the virgin birth. He considered Revelation to be the ravings of a lunatic, and wrote his own Bible, removing anything in it he didn't like.

Franklin rejected the trinity and highly questioned Jesus' divinity.

Adams rejected the trinity and didn't consider the Bible the final authority on truth. He also rejected the priesthood.

The founders were primarily Deists, some of whom held strong value in the morals taught by Jesus and Christianity, but didn't care much for supernatural side of his claims. They would be declared non-Christian by most American conservatives today. The Trinity alone is a required belief according to the Nicene Creed.

Not really sure what your point is.

That the Founder's religious views were all over the road isn't actually news.

Tell me they were Muslims or Atheists and we might have a topic of discussion.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Judging by the GOP's VP candidate are ya?

One word..."Biden"

Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Not everyone who supports Michele Bachmann is religious. I am non-religious and she is my favorite GOP candidate, I am very happy she won the Iowa straw poll.

Most of what she talks about does not have to do with religion. She is a true fiscal conservative. I have great appreciation for the fact that she voted against raising the debt ceiling for example.

Even if I'm secular, I am concerned about the moral decay in this country. I am against the trend of women having children out of wedlock and then going on welfare programs. This is not only bad for the children, it's a major contributor to our debt crisis. If it takes religion for people to get married before they have children then I'm all for this country becoming more religious, even if I do not believe in the supernatural myself.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
We're not a direct democracy. Civil rights are not voted on.

Thats because they've been brainwashed by people like him for their entire lives that being gay is a sin and evil. Brainwashed by people who haven't the foggiest understanding of the Bible that they use to condemn gays. If you spend your entire life being told you're an abomination, or abnormal, or unnatural, of course you're going to believe you should attempt to change it. Of course, scientific evidence shows that for the overwhelming majority of people, their sexual orientation will never change. Their behaviors may, but their attractions will never go away.
From listening to blacks opinions of homosexuality most do not see it as a civil right question.

As far as sexual orientation goes most people know of those who suddenly decided they had been gay all their lives after 2 or 3 failed marriages and 4 or 5 kids. Then they experiment with it for a few years and go back to being straight again.

They are confused and confuse all around them so why shouldn't we think anything else expect they have a problem with their sexual identity. They leave their children and family in shambles but hey they have to be happy and that is the most important thing. Too bad they are never happy.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Not everyone who supports Michele Bachmann is religious. I am non-religious and she is my favorite GOP candidate, I am very happy she won the Iowa straw poll.

Most of what she talks about does not have to do with religion. She is a true fiscal conservative. I have great appreciation for the fact that she voted against raising the debt ceiling for example.

Even if I'm secular, I am concerned about the moral decay in this country. I am against the trend of women having children out of wedlock and then going on welfare programs. This is not only bad for the children, it's a major contributor to our debt crisis. If it takes religion for people to get married before they have children then I'm all for this country becoming more religious, even if I do not believe in the supernatural myself.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
From listening to blacks opinions of homosexuality most do not see it as a civil right question.

As far as sexual orientation goes most people know of those who suddenly decided they had been gay all their lives after 2 or 3 failed marriages and 4 or 5 kids. Then they experiment with it for a few years and go back to being straight again.

They are confused and confuse all around them so why shouldn't we think anything else expect they have a problem with their sexual identity. They leave their children and family in shambles but hey they have to be happy and that is the most important thing. Too bad they are never happy.
Sounds as if you have done extensive research on the subject and based your college thesis on your findings. I'm sure we would all enjoy reading it in the psychology journal that it was printed in. Please provide the link.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

To listen to the left, the worst thing that could happen to this country would be a return to the moral standards of the 1950s. From where I work in Detroit I see crack (assuming) sold on the streets and people afraid to speak out against it, fatherless children are the norm and failing to achieve is a status symbol. Inclusiveness has to end when those included would be better off earning their acceptance rather than having their failings rewarded. It doesn't serve the interests of society and it harms the individual as well.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Anybody but Obama? That is how I see it.
thank you for this answer ( i was absent)

Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
I stopped reading where I said I stopped. Regardless of how fundamental a candidate may be, to even suggest there is the slightest chance of a theocracy is to clearly admit one doesn't have the most basic understanding of our government or politics. The only conclusion that can be drawn is the OP is paranoid or believes in conspiracy theories. Some people voted for Kennedy because he was catholic, some voted for Obama only because he's black, some voted for Clinton just because he didn't have a 'R' next to his name. Some will vote for Bachmann because she's a fundamental Christian.

Let's TRY not to be hypocrites.....
You might try telling Governor Sam Brownbach of Kansas that after he pushed through some of the most restrictive anti-abortion laws in the nation. For the most part these laws are based on his and his supporters religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies