Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, all these immaculate conceptions. Always the woman's fault, isn't it?
yeah, she was probably married, til the old man beat her half to death and threw her out, and now he is a drug addict who pays no child support. no doubt. or maybe it's one of the guys on this thread.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
empathy is an odd word to use.

where is all the empathy for all the hardworking people who are being told that they have to keep funding more and more entitlements even as the economy collapses? schools offer free breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the children. there are debit cards and WIC programs and meals on wheels. there are soup kitchens and church donation set ups. we have to start dealing with this on a community level, not the national level to keep the fraud in check.

look on the business thread and read the numbers for the RAPID RISE in food stamps and entitlements, and the corresponding rapid rise is costs. nothing is being done to FIX THE PROBLEM.

the word here should be WORRIED, because working people are concerned that this is NOT SUSTAINABLE.

we need small programs that match excess food with people in need.

working people have families to feed also, and it's not a question of empathy.
they already exist. you like so many with no knowledge but all kinds of misconceptions, aren't in touch with the reality of the situation, but you are full of rhetoric and have no answers.
ever hear of a FOOD BANK? that's what you're talking about, and they are EMPTY. because so many people are asking for food.
The major part of "entitlements" comes from farm subsidies, oil subsidies, social security and medicare, not foodstamps. stop giving full social security and full medicare to people who make over median income and you will reduce the unnecessary burden of "entitlements" being paid to people who are already affluent. Stop paying money to big rich corporations and wealthy farmers who used to, but stopped needing, any government giveaways a long time ago. our biggest debt load right now probably came from the bank and wall street etc bailouts though. get it back and we will no longer have such huge debt/ budget deficit.

the one thing no one is calling for, is for affluent families to take care of their indigent members. and there are many such families who do nothing or very little for their own. indeed there are super abusive wealthy parents whose adult kids are disabled from abuse and neglect, but these abusers are not required to pay their way , restitute, or give inheritance to these disabled who are on the public rolls right now.
dittoes with battered women whose abusers never have to restitute and keep them out of the poverty programs.
In fact if you are injured or become disabled due to ANY fault, or abuse or attack by ANYONE, if you don't beat the statute of limitations you will NEVER get restituted and you can become a permanent public burden. This happens ALL the time, the effect is HUGE. . something's very wrong there.The civil statutes of limitations should be lifted so these victims will no longer have to rely on uncle sam to survive on a tiny below poverty paycheck. Their victimizers should be made to support them, from a distance.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 08-22-2011 at 05:42 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
None of you ever complain about the executive buying another big house of Italian sports car because he "increased shareholder value" by selling out all of his employees to move the plant to China. NO, he is a HERO even if he damages his community and country so long as he makes an already wealthy stockholder even wealthier.

These people are costing the country far more than all the 'welfare moms" combined and you never complain about these thieves. What is happening? Are all of you wealthy stockholders receiving enough income you don’t have to work? If so you are just another welfare class.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
None of you ever complain about the executive buying another big house of Italian sports car because he "increased shareholder value" by selling out all of his employees to move the plant to China. NO, he is a HERO even if he damages his community and country so long as he makes an already wealthy stockholder even wealthier.

These people are costing the country far more than all the 'welfare moms" combined and you never complain about these thieves. What is happening? Are all of you wealthy stockholders receiving enough income you don’t have to work? If so you are just another welfare class.
i just increased your reputation one more. awesome reply!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I haven't read through all the posts on this topic because, quite frankly, I don't want to have to take another shower so early in the day.

HOWEVER, do you have any idea how many people now receiving food stamps were, just a couple of years ago, middle class families....working at long-term jobs, owning their own homes, saving for their kids' college education? Then the greed of Wall Street crashed the economy and the jobs were gone, the savings were gone, and finally their houses were gone too. Many of them are now either unemployed or working at minimum wage jobs that can not support their families. They did NOT have those children when they were on welfare. They had them while they were gainfully employed and had every reason to believe they would remain so. You people are just whistling past the graveyard if you have fooled yourself into believing that what happened to all those good, hardworking families can not happen to you. Then you can, like they have, learn that poverty is not a fun filled experience of "free rides."
Yep. I work and still collect a small amount of FS. These low-paying jobs never seem to be full time and finding a second part time position is just as difficult as finding the first. Full time just doesn't seem to exist anymore. I don't think I'll ever find a job like the one I had in 2008.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"if you rob Peter to pay Paul and David, Paul and David will vote for you every time."
Well in this case it's robbing Peter to pay Paul, and little Timmy, little Jamarcus, little Tony, little LaQuandra, little Sheniqua, and David.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have a good point, but you what don't mention is these people have joined a group of people who think they're entitled.

I know a guy who got laid off and had to use a food stamp card, he told me he went grocery shopping at 11pm so the store would be empty and he would be less embarrassed as less people would see him.

The other day I was behind a "single mom" with her her gold bracelet and cell phone who held the line up while the cashier had to separate out her WIC purchases from her food stamp card.

Not even the slightest look of shame or any apology for holding up the line because she was too lazy to separate out her own items.

See the difference????

Nobody begrudges helping people who have lost their jobs, but some of us are tired of hearing about the "single moms" like they're war heroes.

And when I say "single moms" I don't mean divorced or widowed. I'm talking about the ones who get knocked up and all of sudden it is on the taxpayer to the foot the bill.
Repost:

Quote:

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As the Food Stamp program is designed to maintain consumption and price of agricultural products if it is removed how the prices will be supported and how will investors in agricultural production maintain their profits. Without Food Stamps to support prices our agricultural system would suffer a price collapse as the production was not being consumed. If Food Stamps were abandoned not only would a lot of elderly and children starve the agricultural finance industry would suffer wholesale bankruptcy.

I know a lot of you do not care about the starvation part but surely you investors must care about the financial part.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I think some of you people are way too critical and don't contemplate a situation beyond your own erroneous perceptions. It's called being very small minded.

I finished college, btw, and it has paid off immensely.
YOUR situation is what FS/Welfare is for....NOT the people who use the benefit for LIFE and as an excuse to have more children they can't afford.

You used government assistance for a time, when in NEED and then you pulled it together and found you didn't need the help anymore, right?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
In this case, yes. How about using some form of birth control...or better yet, being more selective on the kind of MAN one spreads their legs for....you know, the kind of guy who has a job and will stick around to raise the kid he made.

It's personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies