Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times

Advertisements

I really don't think anyone in their right mind thinks $100K/yr. is rich. Buffett doesn't give an exact figure, but he's probably referring to anyone with an income of $10,000,000/yr. or more.

He is right I think, he doesn't worship his wealthy peers, or "so-called job creators" like most of CD does. He realizes they're people too & that they're no better than anyone else due to their income or net worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
There's a BIG difference between Warren Buffet billionaire truly rich and the $250k-aire "Obama rich" our president is trying to wage a "fairness" tax war on.

We need more tax brackets to distort the skyrocketing income breaks at the top 4%, 2%, and 1% and we need to stop calling a $250k income supporting a family of 4 in urban Chicago, NYC, DC, SF, LA, etc (you know, where the $250k jobs are plentiful for those of a certain educational background, and a "starter" home in a good public district costs $700k) "rich".

We also need a simplified tax code where all income, regardless of origin (paycheck, earned interest, capital gains, etc) are taxed at the same rate. The breaks for capital gains and earned interest only lower the truly rich's tax bills.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
"Quick Obama, get the EPA on my my competitor's a$$. I don't want to lose market share against him."

Love,
pro-Obama billionaire
This thread isn't about regulations. It's about taxes and when the 2nd richest person in the nation says billionaire taxes are too low only one suffering from severe cognitive dissonance can ignore his words.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 AM

898 posts, read 827,647 times
Do any of you who think Buffet is correct really think that confiscating the wealth of these few super rich in the same ballpark as Buffet would make the least bit of difference to reducing the debt?

Please do the math and get back to us. Buffet is pandering being a fellow traveler and all.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
Why doesn't he simply turn over his assets to the government?
Can one simply donate millions and millions of $ to the state? If so, wouldn't that be considered a kind of attempted bribe?
I guess he wants tax laws that force him and others like him to pay higher taxes.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I really don't think anyone in their right mind thinks $100K/yr. is rich. Buffett doesn't give an exact figure, but he's probably referring to anyone with an income of $10,000,000/yr. or more.

He is right I think, he doesn't worship his wealthy peers, or "so-called job creators" like most of CD does. He realizes they're people too & that they're no better than anyone else due to their income or net worth.
Buffett clearly said, "I would leave rates for 99.7 percent of taxpayers unchanged and continue the current 2-percentage-point reduction in the employee contribution to the payroll tax."

In other words, raise taxes on the top 0.3% -- that's not the guy or gal earning $100K or even $250K. That's people earning a $1 million+.

The problem is that people shoot off responses without reading the link.

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Can one simply donate millions and millions of $ to the state? If so, wouldn't that be considered a kind of attempted bribe?
I guess he wants tax laws that force him and others like him to pay higher taxes.
Actually, yes you can. The US Treasury has an address on their site that you can send a check to donate money to reduce the national debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This thread isn't about regulations. It's about taxes and when the 2nd richest person in the nation says billionaire taxes are too low only one suffering from severe cognitive dissonance can ignore his words.
Damn I should have responses to summers with "but in before a liberal says it has nothing to do with the EPA"

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because he wants your average artsy latte drinking liberal to believe raising taxes on the rich will actually do something when, in fact, people like Buffet will see little to no difference in their tax bill but it will hurt the "rich" that make $100k a year or more. It's all a big ruse, and the liberal always falls for it, hook, line, and sinker

Great points. Buffet is essentially "immune" to taxes and raising the rate on "the rich" would not cost him a penny. Such tax increases would slaughter the $250K-$1 million per year "rich", who derive thier income from actual income, rather than trusts.

If Buffet wants to give more to the government, he and the other "super rich" are perfectly able to do so on their own. Why don't they?

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes you can. The treasury department even accepts credit cards where the payments go directly towards repaying the national debt. That program has been in place since 1996.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 AM

I guess it's obvious which C-D members suffer from severe cognitive dissonance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies