Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,623,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
No. I am not kidding. From the time that people first started settling into large towns and cities there has always been an interdependence between the rural food producers and the city dwellers. Without the food producers, city dwellers today would be shooting squirrels in the park, eating cats and dogs and gathering pigeon eggs from freeway underpasses. By the same token, with the manufacturing and refining that is done in the large cities, the rural folks would have no gasoline or tractors. It's a two way street.
200 years ago did the US government subsidize stagecoaches so the rural folk would have transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,220,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
200 years ago did the US government subsidize stagecoaches so the rural folk would have transportation?

I don't think the US government had that much money in 1811. Nor was the country the size it is today.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,623,061 times
Quote:
I don't think the US government had that much money in 1811. Nor was the country the size it is today.
I'd guess they probably weren't $14 T in debt.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Well, let's cut back on government subsidies to the rural hospitals, too. Why stop with airports?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 AM

45,643 posts, read 27,260,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the edits in your post make it a bit misleading -- for example, it isn't Severin Borenstein @ Cal-Berkeley who made the comments following her name, it was:

but.. no, i don't think we need these subsidies.
You're right on the snipets I took - I try to minimize how much I take from the article so the mods don't complain. I made a bad cut there.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM

45,643 posts, read 27,260,958 times
Quote:
Nevertheless, there is an argument to be made for both sides of the issue. I can see cutting down on the number of daily flights into and out of small town airports but to cut them out completely would not be fair. Same can be said for subsidizing rural hospitals. Who would want to be on a cross country road trip and not be able to get decent medical care if something goes wrong while traversing a rural area?
Just focusing on this response - fairness is mentioned. It is not good to legislate on the basis on being fair. Rights are legislated, fairness is not.

With regards to services and transportation in very rural areas, I say believe in the private sector. Let someone come in and have a small airline that can be profitable - or maybe they combine services where one section of the business is more profitable - and it helps out the airline portion which may not be as profitable. Costs may be a bit higher. Life is not fair.

The thing is that the infusion of government doesn't allow for people to think through things and be creative - because it's easier to throw money at something that is marginally effective.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM

59,225 posts, read 27,416,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
It's important to remember that this route in particular is an extreme example. From what I can find, excluding Alaska, the subsidy averaged across the entire EAS system works out to about $74 per ticket.

I can see reasonable cases both for an against subsidies for the EAS, but no subsidies at all for mass transportation? So a greater dependence on foreign oil, greater dependence on cars, more and more miles of clogged highways? I'd gladly pay my taxes if they're going to mass transportation.
If I live 25 miles from work and decide to move 125 miles from work the federal government should subside the extra 100 mile cost in fuel, tires, oil, etc.

No difference,

If people want to have that airport, they need to fund it. Period.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just focusing on this response - fairness is mentioned. It is not good to legislate on the basis on being fair. Rights are legislated, fairness is not.

With regards to services and transportation in very rural areas, I say believe in the private sector. Let someone come in and have a small airline that can be profitable - or maybe they combine services where one section of the business is more profitable - and it helps out the airline portion which may not be as profitable. Costs may be a bit higher. Life is not fair.

The thing is that the infusion of government doesn't allow for people to think through things and be creative - because it's easier to throw money at something that is marginally effective.
Not to nitpick, but rights can only be protected by law. It is privilege that is legislated. "Fairness" falls into the privilege sector and "fairness", as perceived by the House and Senate, plays a part in dang near every piece of legislation passed.

All of the small airlines that service the smaller towns and cities are private. With fuel, landing fees in the bigger airports and other costs being what they are, it is difficult, if not impossible, for them to make a profit based solely on paying passengers. In many of the small airports there is not enough in-and-out daily traffic to make it profitable on a year-to-year basis. I've already said that some cutbacks could be justified but to cut off this sector of the country--and the economy--entirely is not the right thing to do. Airports, in and of themselves, are needed for medical transport to a large center and to get fire fighters in and out. If TANF, Planned Parenthood, WIC and hundreds of other government giveaways are "fair", then help for small regional airports and airlines is also "fair". I think that cutting the ethanol subsidies and the CRPs program is worth being considered.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,740,305 times
Quote:
No. I am not kidding. From the time that people first started settling into large towns and cities there has always been an interdependence between the rural food producers and the city dwellers. Without the food producers, city dwellers today would be shooting squirrels in the park, eating cats and dogs and gathering pigeon eggs from freeway underpasses. By the same token, with the manufacturing and refining that is done in the large cities, the rural folks would have no gasoline or tractors. It's a two way street.
You can order all the food you desire on the internet and have it shipped anywhere in world..... even the city.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM

898 posts, read 828,661 times
Hey brainiac, where does that internet food come from?? You ever try to order fresh vegetables and fruit and have it shipped. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies