Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:54 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,612,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I would never make "mistakes" like that, they were not "mistakes" they were pure greed, corruption, fraud, lies and worse. I have something called a conscience, which they don't seem to have.
So you are now the judge and jury for a person's life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,419,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
So you are now the judge and jury for a person's life?
Oh boy, did I say that? I said I would never do what these CEO's did.... and I stand by that.

A judge and a jury are exactly who these CEO's should answer to however.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,592,787 times
Quote:
Oh boy, did I say that? I said I would never do what these CEO's did.... and I stand by that.

Good idea but there's one flaw in that idea, these people seem to think themselves above the law and would probably have the judge and jury in their pockets...
Exactly how often do corporate criminals end up being punished the way average people do ?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Good idea but there's one flaw in that idea, these people seem to think themselves above the law and would probably have the judge and jury in their pockets...
Exactly how often do corporate criminals end up being punished the way average people do ?

Very true, or you can always get a pardon...LOL
But at the very least these people should go to trial. There are two types of justice in this country, that of the "have's" and the "have nots".

Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Sounds good to me, LOL. I surely wouldn't shed a tear over them.
Sorry I misconstrued what your point was.

I do agree that there are plenty of people who need to face the consequences for their wrongdoings. I just don't quiet get why CEO's are now the target of the MSM. There seems to be a "guilty until proven innocent" tilt to the stories we see by the media when CEO's are involved, and the morning news casters frequently report stories and complain about how much money CEO's make at some companies, while failing to disclose what their own network's CEO makes, not to mention some of the morning talk show host make ($12million per year for Diane Sawyer).

Its as if somehow its automatically evil to be a highly successfuly person as a CEO just because there have been many CEO's who are greedy and corrupt. Last time I checked, greed and corruption runs from the top of the ladder to the bottom. CEO's are just bigger targets because people are mad they do the same thing as every other class of society, but happen to be filthy stinking rich in the process.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 AM

Maybe the CEO's are the target because a lot of people are losing their pensions, benefits etc. while the CEO's get bigger and bigger salaries, even if they run the company poorly. Often CEO's on their way out will leave with millions of $$$, despite poor performance. I think more and more people are experiencing this in their own workplace and are fed up.

If they are "highly successful" in running the company, that is another thing, but those aren't the CEO's we were talking about here. I do not believe that everyone is willing to destroy other people's lives, endanger their safety and welfare, just to make more money. Lots of people do have a conscience.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe the CEO's are the target because a lot of people are losing their pensions, benefits etc. while the CEO's get bigger and bigger salaries, even if they run the company poorly. Often CEO's on their way out will leave with millions of $$$, despite poor performance. I think more and more people are experiencing this in their own workplace and are fed up.

If they are "highly successful" in running the company, that is another thing, but those aren't the CEO's we were talking about here. I do not believe that everyone is willing to destroy other people's lives, endanger their safety and welfare, just to make more money. Lots of people do have a conscience.

I agree, but listening to media reports that lump them all together, it sounds like there is no such thing as a good CEO. I would hate to think people judged me for my career position, rather than how I got there and how well I do my job.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,169,730 times
Quote:

CEO's are generally compensated based upon company performance. Though there are frequent examples of CEO's who are excessively financially compensated with poor performance records, their turnover rate indicates that this problem is ultimately dealt with by the Board of Directors. Corporate oversight has been a significant problem, but thanks to Sarbanes Oxley and the more active involvement of institutional investor groups in getting appointed to Board of Director positions, this seems to be now constructively addressed.

However, the improved CEO performance may result in the downward spiral of the benefits you lament losing, and the continuation of seeking lowest cost solutions.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Lowest cost solution... I guess that means squeezing every last thing out of your employees, to keep the stockholders happy. Well guess what, employees that feel like they are getting scre**d, don't have any company loyalty, nor are they the most productive. Case in point is the company my husband has been working for for 15 years, they keep piling more and more work on their employees. They actually told an accountant that already worked 60 hours a week, that he wasn't giving enough time. He left on his own and then they had to hire two people to replace him, because the first person they hired, couldn't do the job he had been doing for years. A lot of the people have moved on and the company has lost valuable knowledge and experience and most often the replacements have not been as productive, more than once did they have to hire two new people to replace one that had been there for many years. Their profits are not improving either. Happy employees will work far harder than unhappy ones. Something a lot of US corporations don't seem to grasp.

By the way, my boss treats me VERY well and I work hard for her because of that. What goes around comes around....

A most interesting study by Stanford School of Business.....

CEO Compensation

Research by

Robert Daines
Professor of Finance
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Vinay B. Nair
The Wharton School

Lewis Kornhauser
New York University

STANFORD GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS — What do Disney, AT&T, Exxon, and Verizon have in common?

Moderator cut: copyrights

[/b]

more here...

Research: News: Stanford GSB

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2007 at 03:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,592,787 times
Quote:
Lowest cost solution... I guess that means squeezing every last thing out of your employees, to keep the stockholders happy. Well guess what, employees that feel like they are getting scre**d, don't have any company loyalty, nor are they the most productive. Case in point is the company my husband has been working for for 15 years, they keep piling more and more work on their employees. They actually told an accountant that already worked 60 hours a week, that he wasn't giving enough time. He left on his own and then they had to hire two people to replace him, because the first person they hired, couldn't do the job he had been doing for years. A lot of the people have moved on and the company has lost valuable knowledge and experience and most often the replacements have not been as productive, more than once did they have to hire two new people to replace one that had been there for many years. Their profits are not improving either. Happy employees will work far harder than unhappy ones. Something a lot of US corporations don't seem to grasp.

By the way, my boss treats me VERY well and I work hard for her because of that. What goes around comes around....

A most interesting study by Stanford School of Business.....

CEO Compensation

Research by

Robert Daines
Professor of Finance
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Vinay B. Nair
The Wharton School

Lewis Kornhauser
New York University

STANFORD GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS — What do Disney, AT&T, Exxon, and Verizon have in common?
Moderator cut: copyrights

[/b]

more here...

Research - CEO Skill and Excessive Pay: A Breakdown in Corporate Governance? - Stanford GSB
Couldn't give you any more rep points so I'll give it to you in "person" . Bravo !
Excellent post and something that anybody with a modicum of brains and common sense would realise.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2007 at 03:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies