Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Um, most States don't raise grain to produce bread so it has to be brought in. Most locomotives are diesel/electric and the ones that are fully electric still use electricity from those coal burning plants. Less big rigs means more coal and diesel burning engines.
Big rigs burn diesel too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Many states claimed their cigarette taxes were "for the children".
I can't imagine what's going to happen when the taxes are finally high enough to get people to quit smoking. They may be raising taxes on tobacco, but quitting is the last thing the government wants you to do.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Geez, what the hell have we done to ourselves, when politicians and bureaucrats think they should tax us $1.85 for each mile we drive our cars???

Oregon, for instance, is among several states that are taking a hard look at the idea, reports Paul Eisenstein of the Detroit Bureau. As proposed in the Oregon legislature, drivers could be charged 0.85 cents per mile through 2015, with the figure jumping to 1.85 cents per mile by 2018. The bill, for the moment, appears stalled. Texas and Minnesota are reportedly also taking a look.

More states considering pay-by-the-mile car taxes

Quite the jump, wouldn't you say? If i currently pay $0.40 tax for a gallon of gasoline, and I can drive 20 miles per gallon, compared to $0.85 tax per mile... I don't know all the other particulars to these ideas, but if all other taxes remain the same, this idea will kill interstate commerce and drive up the costs of our day-to-day lives.
Even with Oregon's large granola-eating hipster population, this has no chance of going anywhere. Want to suck money out of the pockets of the people of Oregon? Tax horn-rimmed glasses, heroin and soy milk.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
This could potentially cost the average person driving 10,000 miles per year $18,500. Who here has an additional $18K per year to give to the government? Anyone???
It's 0.85 cents per mile. That's < 1 penny per mile (0.0085). Hence:

10000*0.0085 = $85/yr.

And at 1.85 cents:

10000*0.0185 = $185/yr

If you paid $0.50/gal of gas for 'gas tax' (state + fed) and averaged 25 mpg, then you would be paying $200/yr.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I can't imagine what's going to happen when the taxes are finally high enough to get people to quit smoking. They may be raising taxes on tobacco, but quitting is the last thing the government wants you to do.
Or stop having children.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM

332 posts, read 613,767 times
It can be easily tracked. Most states require that vehicles be inspected once a year by a service station or a state run inspection station. They can record the mileage at each year, calculate via simple math how many miles you drove that year. You would then have that added on to your inspection bill.

So no new equipment in cars is needed.

No tracking of where you went, when/etc is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
In my particular case, Alaska adds a $0.08/gallon consumption tax on gasoline, and the feds add an additional $0.18/gallon. I also average 38 mpg, which means I am paying $0.0068 in taxes per mile. Should Alaska add an additional $0.0185 tax per mile, that would be a 270% increase in the taxes I already pay.

Furthermore, I presume the State would have some means in determining how many miles a vehicle has been driven. How will they be able to track existing vehicles? Would vehicle owners be required to retrofit their existing vehicles? What gives government the right to track anyone's movement without a court issued warrant? Just a few things to consider.

Thankfully, the above scenario can never happen in Alaska, as it would violate our State Constitution that recognizes, and protects, our right to privacy. A much simpler solution would be to raise the State consumption tax on gasoline.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
LOL Burt's Bees is owned by Clorox:
Julie's Health Club: Clorox acquires Burt's Bees

Clorox has factories in China:
The Clorox Company | Company Information | Clorox Worldwide

Some of Burt's Bees packaging is made in China:
Buy Burt's Bees Lip Balm Tin Ornament, Classic Online at drugstore.com

And they "outsource" some of their ingredients:

LOL, love your superior smugness in supporting a "local company" when actually you're buying from a huge corporation with Chinese factories.

Looks like you're the one buying crap from China. Any other brands you want to discuss?
They manufacture near my home in NC, not in China. Nice try, though. Let me know when you want to come and visit and I'll show you my cupboards, take you to the local market, and visit Burt's Bees.

Now shouldn't you be tending to the business you supposedly own, rather than wasting time arguing with strangers on the internet?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
They manufacture near my home in NC, not in China. Nice try, though. Let me know when you want to come and visit and I'll show you my cupboards, take you to the local market, and visit Burt's Bees.

Now shouldn't you be tending to the business you supposedly own, rather than wasting time arguing with strangers on the internet?
Again, owned by a multinational corporation, factories in China, and Burt's Bees uses pacakaging and some ingredients from China- and you are still claiming they are local company? Give it up. Admit you were wrong and move on.

Sorry you were so embarrassed by your lack of knowledge of what you buy that you are trying silly come backs about my business.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Not a single Tylenol? You buy not one thing at the grocery store? Every single item at the restaurants are grown locally? Every small part of every piece of your furniture is from local resources? Of course not, you're full of bunk. Just because you can buy it locally doesn't mean that no part of it was trucked in from somewhere else. And I don't believe for one second that every cabinet in your house has only locally grown & produced products. I shop at our local farmers market a lot and our local dairy. I know what local products are available. Heck, even our local Amish buy supplies by mail from other places.

Show us a picture of your pantry and fridge stocked with only locally grown products.
Lumber is used for building her home and furniture. Lumber is trucked in.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Would also like to add that it's fine with me if this gets big rigs off the roads. Trucks are a highly inefficient and polluting way to transfer goods. We need to get back to using railroads.
If you really feel that way, you should relieve yourself of everything you own or use that was ever transported by truck. Walk the walk, don't just talk the talk. I hope you like being homeless, owning nothing and being naked...

You have NO idea how dependent you are on the trucking industry. None. If you did, you wouldn't have written what you did. I see posts like yours and just laugh. The ignorance demonstrated - about a lot more than just the trucking industry - is astounding. Thank goodness that people like you aren't able to get elected to public office...

--Swagger
Proud owner of a business in the trucking industry.
"If you've got it, a truck brought it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies