Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM

888 posts, read 886,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The complete abolishment of FDR's New Deal and returning us to the Gilded Age of the early 20th century would benefit all classes?
Ummm... you do realize that we were in fact living in a guilded age prior to the 07-08-09 crash. Yes, I say 07, since we had one huge bank failure that summer that ws a precursor. In fact for many of those oh so talented CEOs, we are still in the guilded age Oh yeah, that's right, they deserve it. Plus, they've got talent that the drone don't have - of course

Plus, you really cannot predict the future can you? I mean if you could you certainly would not be here now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleged return of serfdom View Post
Ron Paul is a shill for anti-tax billionaires. Everything else he talks about is window-dressing.
Hmmm I understand that it might be hard for people to accept taking responsibility for themselves, because that is what would happen if the flat tax is implemented. We ought to take responsiblity for themselves instead of asking the government to take care of us

Consider this video

Ron Paul : Opt out of all federal programs and pay a 10% flat tax 2/17/11 - YouTube

Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
You wouldn't know that Ron Paul was in the running according to our news media. They don't like him, or rather it is the people who own the news networks that don't like him. Out of the republican candidates he is the only one who makes sense.

On the subject of pot it is ridiculous to continue a "war on drugs" that is both unaffordable and ineffective. 25% of our prisons are occupied with minor drug arrests such as pot possession or individual use. This cost the US money we do not have to spend. In cities that lightened up on enforcing marijuana there was no increase in crimes and a cost savings in police costs and court costs.
Portugal legalize all drugs and has not seen any increase in crime and is saving a lot of money not trying to enforce and prosecute drug crimes. In the US prohibition didn't work either. I think if we really look at why marijuana has not been legalized we would have to look at the pharmaceutical companies influence on government. The fact is they just haven't found a way to profit from it or we would be able to buy pot with a script or OTC at Chinamart.
Ron Paul is absolutely on target. It is the candidates trying to use God to run on that are the loons.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Plus, you really cannot predict the future can you? I mean if you could you certainly would not be here now.
One can take a good guess at the future by just knowing a little bit of history, since history tends to repeat itself.

Ron Paul: ‘I Don’t Think We Need Regulators’ - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Last time we had no regulations like Ron Paul is yearning for I don't recall it benefitting anyone other than the uber-wealthy plutocrats, unless you worked for Henry Ford.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ron Paul is all about personal & individual choice, while eliminating the governments ability to limit the choices, to the one they want you to choose.
Yea, he is all for the eliminating the governments ability to limit choices all right........except when it concerns women and their choice to carry a pregnancy or not.

I guess women are the only ones who don't get personal and individual choice in Ron Paul's version of small governmnent.

He will never get my vote. I will never vote for anyone who advocates overturning Roe v Wade.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So sad, drawing conclusion from things unsaid or even implied. Of course we have had more than one type of fiat money in our history, as a matter of fact we have had more than two, or three. So what?

Since you have no idea how the Fed works or what it's role is have a read.

Federal Reserve System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, yes, we know you need to hurl insults due to your insecurity in your arguments, that's ok. I recognize your problems and I am patient.
Hurl insults, talk about the black pot.

Wiki says what I said, our money is created as debt.

I'll do you one better than wiki.

Here is the authority on monetary reform and monetary history. FYI, he disagrees with Paul.

First is the short version, then the total explanation.

SR 11 Why Government is Good - v. 2.0 - YouTube

The Secret of Oz - Winner, Best Docu of 2010 v.1.09.11 - YouTube

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
You are the nutcase if you think dismantling the Fed will come without a fight.
Do you really believe that we as a society are incapable of taking one of our leaders down - as ordered from someone with power?

You are dreaming...

My question is obviously rhetorical - of course those in power could resort to violence and take down a threat.

Regarding the Fed, you don't seem like someone who follows international financial markets very much.

Why do you suppose through the 2 QE sessions we've had (and currently work on a 3rd) the Euro/USD has remained within a narrow trading range?
Why don't you take a stab at answering the question?

Finally, a word about the Fed - I have never understood the logic for calling a supported idea an obsession, but it is your vocabulary usage For the record, I am not obsessed about it, and supporting an idea is clearly not an obsession.

You seem to be the one obsessed with Ron Paul's ideas ending the Fed.
Here is some food for thought. By the way, I have voted mostly Democrat, in case you were wondering.

Ron Paul - TIME Interview (9.17.09) - YouTube
Huh? Are you suggesting that quantitative easing was a failure of the Fed? Actually it was a failure of Keynesianism. If you are trying to get me to defend the actions of the Fed, you are talking to the wrong guy, they certainly make mistakes.

Sorry, it is nutty in the extreme to suggest that folks in our government murder others to retain power.

Why do I care about your voting history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yeah...the Iranians are such sweethearts.
Very logical, because I don't like someone I ought to kill them.
Furthermore, Iran is not a sweetheart, so I need to be afraid... very afraid

You know what? I am so afraid of Iran.
What should I do?
That's right - KILL THEM

Yes, that's the excuse we can use. Because since Israel could easily protect themselves against Iran, why else would the US want to - wait for it - start another war!

Iran is scaring me so much I cannot even sleep at night. My GF was telling me she could not get in the mood, because Iran's scariness was preoccupying her.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleged return of serfdom View Post
We the people can stay here and build a responsible society without you, and without a toll booth at the end of every driveway.
Exactly, speaking of toll booths, you are certainly building a very responsible society regarding highway and bridge infrastructure

Oh, and you have been extremely responsible in making sure that all of the highway fees collected go directly to improving the infrasturcture and not diverted to pay off someone.

User fees are the way to go in the future. You certainly have proved incapable of building a responsible society thus far, Mr. Baby Boomer. I'd like to say nice try, but this is too serious to be f*****g up

LMFAO...

Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
One can take a good guess at the future by just knowing a little bit of history, since history tends to repeat itself.

Ron Paul: ‘I Don’t Think We Need Regulators’ - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Last time we had no regulations like Ron Paul is yearning for I don't recall it benefitting anyone other than the uber-wealthy plutocrats, unless you worked for Henry Ford.
What he yearns for are simple laws and simple rules, not crony driven regulations created by the elite. We need to bring back risk and liability, regulations are just games for the elite to rig the system with.

People are being conned by those who have power to think regulations are the answer. The uber-wealthy love regulations, they pay a lot of money for them.

Don't confuse what he says with the rhetoric of conservatives.

Nassim Talb says it well.

Nassim Taleb at The Economist’s Buttonwood Gathering | The Black Swan Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies