Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

How sad that the people who drove the economy into the toilet, destroyed thousands of US factories and hundreds of thousands of US jobs, while becoming four of the ten richest Americans are hurting.
As far as I am concerned anyone walking into a Slave Mart is crossing a picket line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Where else can one find dog food at midnight? My neighbor recently brought me a puppy that had been left out on one of our county roads and that had found his way to her house. My last dog had been killed by coyotes so I had no dog food in the house. By the time I could get to Walmart some 40 miles away it was nearly 1:00 am. The puppy ate like he hadn't eaten in a week. Thank goodness for Walmart. I don't think mom or pop would have gotten out of their bed to sell me dog food at midnight.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
WM conbtinues to kick butt, even with the WM hatrers telling lies about them...
NEW YORK: Wal-Mart, Home Depot upgrade outlooks | Business | Kentucky.com (http://www.kentucky.com/2011/08/16/1847805/wal-mart-home-depot-upgrade-outlooks.html - broken link)

Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Any gas station sells dog food. Wal-Mart in our area is just dirty and poorly managed. The floors are disgusting and I would never buy food for my family there. Plus the Kroger/Earthfare and now Whole Foods is 5 minutes away.

Id rather pay an extra 50.00 at Kroger knowing my family wont get food poisoning.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Where else can one find dog food at midnight? My neighbor recently brought me a puppy that had been left out on one of our county roads and that had found his way to her house. My last dog had been killed by coyotes so I had no dog food in the house. By the time I could get to Walmart some 40 miles away it was nearly 1:00 am. The puppy ate like he hadn't eaten in a week. Thank goodness for Walmart. I don't think mom or pop would have gotten out of their bed to sell me dog food at midnight.
So the economy and your country mean nothing because you need puppy food? If there is a way to be more shallow I don't know of it. I've driven 70 miles to Tucson rather than go into my neighborhood Slave Mart.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The store attracts 120 million Americans every week, employs 1.5 million Americans, and dwarfs its nearest competitor. Yet it attracts the most surprisingly vicious attacks on the people who work and shop there.

Walmart, which supposed to be "hurting," just notched a 5% gain in revenues and its customary increase in profits per share. It is one of the best run companies in the world. Revenues and profits per share have tripled in the last ten years, while dividends quadrupled.

Ben Stein said one thing happens when Walmart opens in a town: everybody has 15 or 20% more money to spend. When I think of how many hours my father had to work in order to buy a pair of shoes for me, and how many more hours his father had to work in order to buy a similar pair of shoes, I understand the miracle that Walmart has brought to America. I think everyone over the age of 50 remembers when they were kids, hand-me-down shoes from older siblings, or wearing a pair after they had been outgrown.

Walmart's role in global trade also attracts critics. Trade lets us get more for everything we produce, pay less for everything we consume, makes the world richer and our country richer. Yes, there are losers and winners but on net, we are wealthier for it.

Anyone with a few bucks can buy a percentage ownership interest in this company, which might be one of the best bargains available. I wouldn't bet against them.

Every single person that works at Walmart has decided that this is the highest and best use of their time: no better job exists for them.

I'm just saying.
I have no problems with the people that work there, nor any real issue with their policy.

My comments are more along the lines of paying attention to the recent trend in their operation concerning prices. These things I think will hurt them in the long run.

That is, one of the biggest boons of them were that they were extremely competitive in their pricing across the board, though over the years they have taken on more standard pricing methods such as variable sales makeup tactics (certain items are priced to sell, others are marked up). That combined with their reduction in selection of goods as well as removing goods that are often cheaper than their store brand and I see it as a long term issue that could begin to reduce their ability to hold the share of the market.

Other stores are beginning to market their own brands and have always applied variable sales pricing, but I see them becoming a lot more competitive in the pricing aspect. My wife and I did a "buy everything from one store" one week and then everything from another store the next week. We have done this in the past staying consistent with our list and it used to be Walmart hands down beat out the other stores. This has changed over the last year and now shopping at a competitor is often cheaper (far cheaper) than Walmart.

So my issues with Walmart are simply best price and product, I don't buy into all the political garbage people spew about them. It is driven by subjective means.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I have no problems with the people that work there, nor any real issue with their policy.

My comments are more along the lines of paying attention to the recent trend in their operation concerning prices. These things I think will hurt them in the long run.

That is, one of the biggest boons of them were that they were extremely competitive in their pricing across the board, though over the years they have taken on more standard pricing methods such as variable sales makeup tactics (certain items are priced to sell, others are marked up). That combined with their reduction in selection of goods as well as removing goods that are often cheaper than their store brand and I see it as a long term issue that could begin to reduce their ability to hold the share of the market.

Other stores are beginning to market their own brands and have always applied variable sales pricing, but I see them becoming a lot more competitive in the pricing aspect. My wife and I did a "buy everything from one store" one week and then everything from another store the next week. We have done this in the past staying consistent with our list and it used to be Walmart hands down beat out the other stores. This has changed over the last year and now shopping at a competitor is often cheaper (far cheaper) than Walmart.

So my issues with Walmart are simply best price and product, I don't buy into all the political garbage people spew about them. It is driven by subjective means.
Sort of like buying a Hyundai built by slave laborers in North Korea, as long as you save money, it's OK

Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Sort of like buying a Hyundai built by slave laborers in North Korea, as long as you save money, it's OK
Quantify your claim.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So the economy and your country mean nothing because you need puppy food? If there is a way to be more shallow I don't know of it. I've driven 70 miles to Tucson rather than go into my neighborhood Slave Mart.

On your crusade against Walmart you are forgetting that not everything in it is made in China, there are many American products sold there also. A smart shopper will go to Walmart and save getting the exact same product that other stores sell for more.

Most companies raised their prices in 2008 when gas went up. Yet when gas went down to below $2 a gallon later on none of them lowered their prices again and THEN raised it again when gas crept back up. Everyday people like me aren't concerned with my status of where I shop, we are concerned about saving $50 or $100 bucks that we wouldn't somewhere else and that money is not throwaway money for some people.

During 2008 with the ammo shortage gunshops were going to Walmart and buying up the ammo then marking it up double, even triple in their shop.

I go to different places for different things depending what I want to get the best price, my speedway gas station gives the best prices for my cigarettes while it would be foolish to buy food there that is seriously marked up. I can afford to smoke, I can afford to buy sweets, but it would be foolish for me to spend a extra $50 a month on it when I can save.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Everybody wants to Boycott Wal Mart and Target, K Mart, Sears, Dollar General, Family Dollar, The Dollar Store, Lowes, Home Depot, Sams Club, BJ's, Costco, Staples, Best Boy, Office Max, Office Depot, McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Subway, Acme and Trader Joes and Krogers and Pepsi and Coke. I guess they might find some privately owned department stores and grocery stores and restaurants. We have some and they are thriving not 10 miles down the road from the Big Box Stores. News flash, all the companies I mentioned are using the same exact business model and some pre date Wal Mart. You can't pick and choose one to single out to scape goat. Its capitalism and competition, get big and dominate or learn to adapt and stay in business by doing what works. Wal Mart and the rest capitalized on companies desire to find cheap labor and the government made it easy for them to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies