Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 AM

353 posts, read 905,483 times

Advertisements

I would think this was a great idea if I couldn't see right through it. The motives may seem wonderful, but it really has very little to do with helping the hungry. This is all about control and conditioning. I don't care about the tax dollars spent on it, that's irrelevant to me. I don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Default foriegn aide model for free lunches,

"One of the primary goals of this program is to eliminate the stigma that students feel when they get a free lunch, as opposed to paying cash,”

Faulty psychology there.

Like keeping the opportunities possible with effort, desire and hope a secret so kids will not feel bad if they can't achieve them. You need to go to school but we are forbidden by law to tell you why, as your hopes and dreams may be less lofty than someone elses dreams.

Do you suppose kids can't tell who is poor except by noticing who pays for lunch.

Is it not possible to buy a lunch plan, pay for it ahead of time and then all kids get their lunch and no one is seen, God forbid, giving money in return for food?

Under the guise of humanitarian aide, just like the intent of sending foreign aide overseas, Dems hope to get a quid pro quo.

In the inner cities it is votes they cultivate with 'free' everything. Across the sea it is support for the US they hope to cultivate.

Hope they don't play dodge ball in that school as it would unravel the stigmatazation removed by giving everyone getting a free lunch.
Hey, don't worry, cost is no concern.

Another imaginary social problem solved with money. Duh! Money is the ultimate panacea for every social and educational issue. Creative solutions not required.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Again, how is the kids of parents of 6 figure incomes being begrudged a decent meal?
Nobody's talking about kids whose parents have 6-figure incomes. And you know it.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,078,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Do you really think there's many rich people in Detroit public schools? I'm pretty sure the microscopic upper-class in the city of Detroit does not attend the public schools. I'd suspect the majority of people in Detroit are under the poverty level....the city is like a 3rd world country.
Well, for one, it don't matter if it is upper class or just above poverty level the point is, it is everyone will get free lunches not just the poor. Also, this is not just Detroit, it is the entire state of Michigan and also 2 other states, or are you going to say that the entire state of Michigan is majority under poverty and like a 3rd world country?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Nobody's talking about kids whose parents have 6-figure incomes. And you know it.
This program is talking about kids whose parents have incomes ranging from 0 to infinite. This program covers free lunches for all the students without taking the parents income into consideration.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Well, for one, it don't matter if it is upper class or just above poverty level the point is, it is everyone will get free lunches not just the poor. Also, this is not just Detroit, it is the entire state of Michigan and also 2 other states, or are you going to say that the entire state of Michigan is majority under poverty and like a 3rd world country?
Do you really think that anyone of middle class income or above is going to take their kids for free lunches? I highly doubt it. I wouldn't take advantage of it, personally. Actually, our school district does offer free lunches in the summer to all kids in the district, and nobody of middle class income that I know of takes advantage of it. Same with breakfast...our schools offer free breakfast to all kids, and my kids don't go.

And if an occasional "moocher" who can afford a meal gets a free meal...big deal. I think the tax giveaways to rich corporations and the billions upon billions of dollars (as well as countless lives) flushed down the toilet fighting wars for profit is more worthy of outrage.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have no problem with my taxes going to school lunches. It's much better then them going to the war on terrorism, or the war on drugs.
It is, but you have to choose one or the other: not both.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Well, if their parents are rich, they wont be getting food stamps. And this is the plan in Detroit, everyone of the kids in the schools will get free lunches whether their parents are poor, or rich.
How many rich kids go to public schools in Detroit?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
How many rich kids go to public schools in Detroit?
It is the entire state of Michigan and 2 other states, not just the city of Detroit. And not every single child that goes to public school between the 3 states has parents that are below poverty.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Do you really think that anyone of middle class income or above is going to take their kids for free lunches? I highly doubt it. I wouldn't take advantage of it, personally. Actually, our school district does offer free lunches in the summer to all kids in the district, and nobody of middle class income that I know of takes advantage of it. Same with breakfast...our schools offer free breakfast to all kids, and my kids don't go.

And if an occasional "moocher" who can afford a meal gets a free meal...big deal. I think the tax giveaways to rich corporations and the billions upon billions of dollars (as well as countless lives) flushed down the toilet fighting wars for profit is more worthy of outrage.
So you would tell your kids that they are not allowed to eat lunch at school because it is free? So you would rather you children not eat.. WOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies