Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Amazing that people would begrudge little kids getting a decent meal. Ain't family values grand?
So your idea of family values = having other people pay for your children's daily meals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Yep; one more example of how those darn British are so much more socialized than the U.S.. Bullcrap!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I had free lunch as a kid for a few years. If you get hungry enough, you can & will get past the stigma. (ROFL, what stigma, a free lunch is a free lunch.)

P.S. My friends, who weren't on free lunch, thought it was cool. I got free food and gave them the free stuff I didnt want. It was a win/win situation for all.

Another thing is that kids are dumb. If you're lunch is paid for, you can only eat lunch. If you have money in your pocket, hey, save most of it, grab a bag of chips and a coke.. and then go buy some weed. .. .... ..... / just sayin'

Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Do conservatives think everyone can just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and become successful just like that? You do realize that with 6 billion people on the planet, not everyone is going to have money, right? This is why dirty liberals like us are in favor of things like abortion, birth control, education, regulated capitalism etc lol.
except we are talking about kids from all economical backgrounds getting free lunches on the tax payers dime. Not just the poor.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What kid is starving? Have you looked around the poor neighborhoods? They are filled with overweight kids.
Exactly.

The poor kids here look exactly the oppposite of the poor kids in, say, Somalia.

If they are fat and unhealthy, it is because their parents are choosing to give them
cheap sugary soda instead of FREE water to drink.

Other cheap, crap foods apply as well.
If you can buy Chef Boyardee with your gov't assistance, you can
also buy peanut butter and bread.

No sympathy from me on that.
The parents make crap choices, period.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I agree they are worthless too.
But why should I be forced to pay for other people's children? Why are people having kids they can't afford? Not my responsibility.
Good point, but it's still not the kids' fault. Would you rather they starve to death? That said, I think you should qualify, unlless Detroit decided that there were so few people who wouldn't qualify (which is plausible in Detroit) that they just said "to hell with it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Great! Its a pilot program, so we can look forward to soon having it spread to schools all across the country once these kids complete the trial phase and fill out the form reporting that they no longer feel "stigmatized" for eating on our dime because even the kids who don't need the free breakfast, lunch & snacks get them! That's swell. Gotta spend all our country's excess money somewhere!
Get a grip. So one school district does something you don't like, and suddenly everyone's going to do it. Yeah, because every district from Detroit to rural Wyoming is exactly the same. You clearly have no clue how public schools work.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Good point, but it's still not the kids' fault. Would you rather they starve to death? That said, I think you should qualify, unlless Detroit decided that there were so few people who wouldn't qualify (which is plausible in Detroit) that they just said "to hell with it".

Get a grip. So one school district does something you don't like, and suddenly everyone's going to do it. Yeah, because every district from Detroit to rural Wyoming is exactly the same. You clearly have no clue how public schools work.
It is not a Detroit program, it is a program that is being started in Michigan and 2 other states, not just Detroit, and the USDA is supposed to roll it out to every other state in the US by 2015

This program is NOT about poor kids getting free lunches, because they already do, it is about the non poor kids getting free lunches also.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
So your idea of family values = having other people pay for your children's daily meals?
And your idea of family values is to let the kids go hungry because we need the money to bomb families in other countries?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Not to me. I'm healthy as ****.

Why should I pay for any of you lazy or genetically inferior bastards.

The whole world would be better off without you. You all increase our healthcare costs.

I don't give a **** how much potential you have, or how much your family loves you, you are an economic drain on me. That's clearly more important

U mad bro?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama's America:
Free meals for all Detroit schoolchildren in fall | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110816/NEWS01/110816004/Free-meals-all-Detroit-schoolchildren-fall - broken link)
Wouldn't it be nice if the schools REQUIRED that at least one parent (since most of these kids only have one parent, anyway), to donate 5 hours of service to the school where their child/children attend?

If you can get them to turn off the television and put down the crack pipe long enough, that is.

Waste of money. Total waste of money.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies