Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
I agree with Driller on this.
I support the legalization of marijuana, but if a private company wants to institute a drug policy, they ought to have the right to do so - even if there is a convenience store across the street that sells marijuana legally. True. But it's not the employer's business to meddle with what others do in their private life. As long as they don't come in intoxicated, and can do the job, so be it.

I am almost certain that there will be many businesses out there that would not take such a tough stance on marijuana, and would basically treat it as alcohol. So, if you show up to work stoned or drunk you are fired. No one needs to give you a test at work to prove it - if they even suspect you are, out you go. This I would support! Only an idiot would come to work under the influence.

I mean, just because marijuana would be legalized does not give you the right to get stoned on the job if an employer does not want you to No, but again it's not the employer's right to dictate what someone does on their off time.

The worst thing a pro-marijuana legalization supporter could do is to try to support people who use it irresponsibly at a job, it does not matter if you work brilliantly while stoned. If you want to get stoned while working, find a job that allows it. Moderation, and responsible use is the key. There are plenty of users who are smart about it. I personally wouldn't show up at my job stoned, anymore than I would drunk. That's me time, and it's more fun that way.

I have a friend who works at a financial firm and he gets stoned all of the time. There are no drug tests where he works. He uses it responsibly. He makes over 6 figures. See, we need to hear about more of these people, and not just the stereotypical stoners. They're out there. Perhaps the thought of legalizing marijuana wouldn't be quite as taboo as it is now. Though me personally, I've been around the stuff since high school, and with just about every social event such as a party, a bar, a Browns game...ect..ect... you can guarantee that someone is going to end up pulling out a joint! It's just that common, and it's pretty much to the point that it's accepted just like alcohol!

Let´s first legalize it, and then we can worry about how the companies will evolve their drug policies later. Baby steps is right my friend. But with that being said, legalize it and watch how companies change their stance on it.

See my responses above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM

888 posts, read 886,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
So, you would risk your livelihood for someone eles???

If something happens and that person is on the job site, there will be no liability payments.

What is there is a death??
To be fair, a responsible corporation ought then to ban ALL drugs, not just marijuana.
That would include all pharmaceutical synthetics.

I used to work at a famous machine manufacturing company and everyone (mostly baby boomers) were taking some kind of synthetic drug every freakin day on the job. It was totally legal, because the boomers in charge were doing it too - but marijuana was considered politically incorrect and something they did in their younger immature days. In 2011, it is more dignified to get high off of prescription drugs, lol.

So, if Driller´s company is going to be a hypocrite about it and unfairly bias those who smoke weed, then the person who has unwavering values might join another company à la freedom of choice.

A company could say ¨no drugs of any kind at the work place, that includes viagara, but what you do on your own time is your business.¨

Don´t laugh about Viagara, I had a colleague pushing 60 and was on it cause his wife was 40 and wanted it all of the time, he had so many goofy side effects at work that it really hurt his performance.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
See my responses above.
I agree, but I am putting myself in the company´s shoes.

Here are 2 choices:

1) Drug testing (but this ought to include ALL synthetics too), meaning that if you used pot last week and were tested, you have to pay a fine (like the NFL).

2) Allow your employees to use drugs outside of work, as long as they can control accurately at the workplace (any type of drug, synthetic or organic + alcohol)

Any other ideas?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
As a DJ did you have problems keeping people away from your equipment? We have a stage that DJ's perform on and it drives me CRAZY when drunks try and get on the stage to dance or whatever. I always have to send security to pluck them off. Stoners don't do that. Even those on things like ecstasy aren't a problem, they are too busy looking at the pretty lights .

OMG YEAH! I've had girls try to barge into my DJ booth uninvited, and try flirting with me, just to hear their song, which was always out of format with the set I was playing! Go figure! For example, if I'm playing hip hop, some girl will want me to throw in Madonna. Now, what's going to happen? There goes my dance floor! They would then try to go through my cds, and I'd have to kindly say you have to get out of the booth. I mean, it's my responsibility to make sure that nothing is damaged, because aside from my music the bar owns the sound system. So basically if I didn't know you, my policy was stay the f*** out of my booth! I've also had idiots put their beers on the ledge of the DJ booth and had them spill on my cds as well. Which meant I had to get a rag to dry them off, and I still ended up having a ton of them ruined!

There was one bar in Akron that I worked at for some time. It was early on in the night, so there were only a handful of people there. I ran to the bathroom, and when I come back there is some knucklehead is up in my booth screwing around. I'm like "dude WTF are you doing? GTFO of my booth!" I don't think he knew what to do!

Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
To be fair, a responsible corporation ought then to ban ALL drugs, not just marijuana.
That would include all pharmaceutical synthetics.

I used to work at a famous machine manufacturing company and everyone (mostly baby boomers) were taking some kind of synthetic drug every freakin day on the job. It was totally legal, because the boomers in charge were doing it too - but marijuana was considered politically incorrect and something they did in their younger immature days. In 2011, it is more dignified to get high off of prescription drugs, lol.

So, if Driller´s company is going to be a hypocrite about it and unfairly bias those who smoke weed, then the person who has unwavering values might join another company à la freedom of choice.

A company could say ¨no drugs of any kind at the work place, that includes viagara, but what you do on your own time is your business.¨

Don´t laugh about Viagara, I had a colleague pushing 60 and was on it cause his wife was 40 and wanted it all of the time, he had so many goofy side effects at work that it really hurt his performance.
What you are not getting is I have no choice.

We would be fined by the DOT and would have NO liability if the insurance knew.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM

U.S. Department of Transportation

Read the law.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
What you are not getting is I have no choice.

We would be fined by the DOT and would have NO liability if the insurance knew.
OK, then I should not use your company as an example.
We can just base the reasoning on companies that are not as tightly regulated by certain entities.
So, replace ¨Driller1´s company¨ with ¨generic company¨ in my argument.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
What test do the give for pot that has a number with it???
Are you seriously advocating keeping marijuana illegal because a drug test doesn't determine if one is currently high? What test do they give for cough syrup or sleeping pills that has a number with it? If a person is not driving recklessly, and can pass a field sobriety test, why do you want to harass them with invasive and costly testing?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
OK, then I should not use your company as an example.
We can just base the reasoning on companies that are not as tightly regulated by certain entities.
So, replace ¨Driller1´s company¨ with ¨generic company¨ in my argument.
If that company has vehicles on the road, things are still the same.

I think even McDonald's drug tests.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Are you seriously advocating keeping marijuana illegal because a drug test doesn't determine if one is currently high? What test do they give for cough syrup or sleeping pills that has a number with it? If a person is not driving recklessly, and can pass a field sobriety test, why do you want to harass them with invasive and costly testing?
I don't.

I just think that is why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies