Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times

Advertisements

There is nothing on which to demonstrate the failure of libertarian principles because they've never been put into practice in this country. So I'd like to know why critics of libertarianism are so dang critical of something that hasn't demonstrated failure, since it hasn't even been practiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
Because moonbats think that libertarianism = anarchy. If they'd ever actually read prominent libertarians' stances on issues there'd probably be plenty of things they'd agree on.

I think part of it is also that people are afraid of not having a government that coddles them.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,783,326 times
Because the sheeple need someone telling them what to do. If they had to think for themselves, it would distract them from the next episode of "Dancing with the Stars," ignoring their kids, and stuffing their faces with processed food.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There is nothing on which to demonstrate the failure of libertarian principles because they've never been put into practice in this country. So I'd like to know why critics of libertarianism are so dang critical of something that hasn't demonstrated failure, since it hasn't even been practiced.
The fact of the matter is these ideas don't have enough of an appeal to people to be put into action.

If people liked libertarians and their ideas they would vote them into office.

Next question?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,959,798 times
I am going with the statements of Hurricane, and Mr. Yuk. If people did their research, they would realize that most libertarians don't want anarchy. What they want is smaller maybe even smarter government, and keeping the government out of our private lives.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
i became less and less libertarian, the more i began to disagree with how libertarians interpret their own "ideas" into actual policies. as a group, they don't hold any political weight, so there's not much point in trying to set the record straight on what's what.

take the problems on wall street over the past few years -- there's no consensus whatsoever among libertarians when it comes to policy, because nobody understands how the system works.

the only people who have ideas right now, are bad ideas, and that's the mainstream far right republicans who are riding this deregulatory supply-side thing all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i became less and less libertarian, the more i began to disagree with how libertarians interpret their own "ideas" into actual policies. as a group, they don't hold any political weight, so there's not much point in trying to set the record straight on what's what.

take the problems on wall street over the past few years -- there's no consensus whatsoever among libertarians when it comes to policy, because nobody understands how the system works.

the only people who have ideas right now, are bad ideas, and that's the mainstream far right republicans who are riding this deregulatory supply-side thing all the way to the bottom of the ocean.
I don't see how that's different from other ideologies though. You could talk to two self-proclaimed liberals and one will say all war is bad while another probably popped a bottle of champagne after hearing the news of bin Laden's death.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I don't see how that's different from other ideologies though.
it isn't. that's why i don't like ideologies.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM

888 posts, read 883,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Because the sheeple need someone telling them what to do. If they had to think for themselves, it would distract them from the next episode of "Dancing with the Stars," ignoring their kids, and stuffing their faces with processed food.
Hurricane DC had a great response, and Browns Fan (as in Colt McCoy?) did right by supporting the great responses.
It is so true that ignorance leads to poor decision making.
There are so many examples of how people have changed their minds upon discovery and education.
I seem to remember many people dissing Facebook when it came out, but once they learned what it was, they heavily supported it.
Heck, I used to hate Sushi until I tried it!
My GF always wanted to do it on the hood of the car, and I refused. Now I am a huge fan.

But let´s not fool ourselves, the main reason is Mr. Yuk´s stellar response The sheeple are indeed smart enough to know what Libertarianism is (I used to think it meant support for Swingers, lol).

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,569,111 times
People like their programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies