Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM

1,123 posts, read 775,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The United States is not the policeman of the world, let China or Russia or Brazil save the planet...The United States has already saved the planet before, remember WW2? There are graveyards all across the world containing Americans who died for others, the time has come for the rest of the world to stand up for human rights and against terrorism, and then take the abuse that they are warmongerers and evil devils when they do...
Which is why most of the planet wants to immigrate to the US, and not to Brazil or Russia - because we are a great and generous country.

But if you want to tell other nations like india, japan, brazil, etc., to fulfill their desired destiny of greatness, please, by all means inform them. Let them know that you expect them to understand with their new, rising power status comes great responsibility, but I wouldn't hold your breath expecting them to do anything.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:46 PM

1,123 posts, read 775,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Who is going to pay for it? And how would a NATO attack on Syria affect Israel's chances of not being attacked were that to occur?
There is a reason neither syria nor iran or just about anyone else has directly attacked israel with a standing army in about 45 years - they'd get their a$$es kicked royally.

And Israel already sent a warning to assad that if he tries any more BS again at the border like he did a few weeks back, they will target him directly. Israel sliced through syria's air defenses like butter in 2007, ass-ad knows that attacking israel would be pure suicide.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Sorry, We're Broke

Perhaps when our deficit is paid off

Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Yeah this post is brilliant - so we cannot save the entire planet, so we shouldn't save anyone

What IS special about syria is that it, along with its patron and master iran, are the world's top terror sponsors. Take out syria, and iran is even more isolated.
I am in complete agreement. Syria and Iran are the last two remaining nations with active government sponsored terrorism. Both governments need to be eliminated. However, I disagree about the order. I think we would be better off taking Iran out first, and Syria will most likely capitulate without a shot being fired. But I do not believe the reverse to be true.

This is what Bush should have done from the very beginning. Congress gave President Bush the authority to take out all nations that provide safe harbor, financial support, equip, or train international terrorist organizations. At the time the law was enacted (09/18/2001) there were four nations that fell into that category - Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and Syria.

Bush took out Afghanistan and Iraq, but his own reelection was more far important to him than finishing the job quickly by taking our Iran and Syria. Instead, he went into Nation Building mode WHILE THE WAR IS STILL GOING ON! Talk about idiotic!

First you win the damn war, THEN we can consider Nation Building. During WW II FDR first obtained unconditional surrenders from both Germany and Japan, THEN the Marshall Plan was put into place to help rebuild Europe and Japan. That is just plain common sense to me, but obviously not to a politician.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Which is why most of the planet wants to immigrate to the US, and not to Brazil or Russia - because we are a great and generous country.

But if you want to tell other nations like india, japan, brazil, etc., to fulfill their desired destiny of greatness, please, by all means inform them. Let them know that you expect them to understand with their new, rising power status comes great responsibility, but I wouldn't hold your breath expecting them to do anything.
I don't want to tell other countries anything....

My personal opinion is if the United States is attacked by terrorists, once we trace them back to whatever country they were trained, fed and housed in we turn that country into a parking lot with B-52's and carpet bombing..

But to keep this thing up where only the United States will uphold freedom is ludicrous...

Most of the world despises America because of it's current foreign wars with no end BECAUSE we went into them to "uphold freedom"

So screw the rest of the world, let some other country step up to the plate and let their young men and women spill their blood for no reason.

The middle east has been a quagmire since the beginning of time and the United States is not going to change anything over there unless we drop our entire nuclear stockpile on it and manage to kill every muslim and their sympathizers throughout the world...

And that my friend ain't gonna happen.....

Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Quote:
Glad to see the ron paul isolationist nonsense getting spewed here; bury your head in the sand and hope the bad guys don't notice you. Only leads to worse wars later, but why understand historical facts, when lazy, clueless people refuse to learn from them?
No thx, even though I wish the Syrians all the best. The US is already embroiled in three military conflicts, and the EU is on the precipe of a financial crisis so guess who will get to foot most of the bill.

Bozos who want to play global cop don't understand that a constant state of war isn't in the best interests of a nation's fiscal well being. Perhaps the Saudis, Turks, and/or Israelis could clean up their own backyard and drop a bomb on Assad.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
There is a reason neither syria nor iran or just about anyone else has directly attacked israel with a standing army in about 45 years - they'd get their a$$es kicked royally.

And Israel already sent a warning to assad that if he tries any more BS again at the border like he did a few weeks back, they will target him directly. Israel sliced through syria's air defenses like butter in 2007, ass-ad knows that attacking israel would be pure suicide.
As I recall, Israel had a tough enough time with Hezbullah, and they aren't even a proper army. What makes you think that Israel getting involved or being dragged into getting involved is in anyone's interest? I sympathize with the people of Syria, but why is it our fight? Why wasn't Darfur our fight?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Syria forces hold hundreds in Latakia spor... JPost - Middle East

To stop this mass slaughter, NATO/UN should go in and destroy ass-ad's criminal regime and its military elements. The military bases, tanks, etc., should all be destroyed so as to give the syrian people a fighting chance, just as the french and polish did for the US back in the 1770s...
I honestly do not care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
^I agree that NATO should be disbanded, but for different reasons. It has outlived it's usefulness, and most of the Europeon members aren't serious about maintaining capability. Russia has been sidelined to a large degree, and the most important region to US interests in the future will be the Asia-Pacific area, not Europe.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The US cannot "withdraw" from NATO, the US is NATO. You would have to completely abolish and rewrite the entire NATO Charter in order to exclude the US.

NATO served a useful purpose when the other European nations were still recovering from WW II, and they were facing the USSR and the Warsaw Pact. However, they are not recovering from WW II any longer, and the
USSR and Warsaw Pact have ceased to exist. Therefore, it is time that NATO also ceases to exist.
I do agree that it should disband, but it won't because it is a way for the President to place troops into other countries without having to answer to Congress.

Quote:
Good thing the french and poles didn't think that way in 1776, we'd still be part of the Crown...
France joined because they hated the British...
We have no reason to be over there.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:

Thank you for basically confirming exactly what Ron Paul has been saying all along.

I knew there was some brains in you somewhere.

And because Israel is so prepared, sterpetron, they won't be needing the US for anything as their 300 nuclear missles will destroy Iran's half completed nuclear missle

And to answer your question about Syria, why don't you go do something about it yourself and stop wasting your time here just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies