Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 AM

376 posts, read 295,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Who said that poor people stay poor? Who said that poor people were always poor? People can become poor by losing a job, a death in the family or some other unforseen circumstance. Poor is not permanent and doesn't mean someone is stupid and lazy. Are middle class people who live beyond their means and go into debt stupid and lazy too? Also, stupid and lazy aren't one in the same. There are genuises living in card board boxes and hard working idiots. Seeing the world through such a narrow view indicates a small brain capacity and a very limited life experience.

Whatever, so I generalized a bit. Don't worry about my brain capacity and life experience. I've got plenty of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,944,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
"Poor" is a very elastic term.

Suffice it to say, someone who has kids and falls on some hard times is a universe away from someone who is unmarried, unskilled, and little prosperity.

The former was doing fine and most likely will do so again. The latter was never doing fine and added a kid to the list of impediments.

I agree, but the majority of those bashing the poor have done so with a blanket statement, without differentiating between someone who fell on hard times and is temporarily in a bad place financially and someone who is stupid and lazy and does not take care of their responsibilities. The fact that someone is taking their child to daycare and complaining about the cost would indicate that the person does have a job. Making some bad choices does not mean that you are stupid, lazy or irrespobsible.

Every human being has made a mistake or bad choice at some point in life, the difference is that everyone's mistake doesn't result in a life long consequence. Lots of people have broken laws, had unprotected sex or just made a bad choice but it didn't result in a baby, a disease or conviction every time. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't make you the judge and the jury.

There are plenty of people who were once unskilled, unmarried and poor who are now skilled and financially stable. Those people once fit into the group that are constantly getting bashed by certain people, but they did indeed do something for themselves and their child(ren) and took care of their reponsibilities. Some of the poor are future success stories and calling all of them stupid and lazy is stupid and narrow minded.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,944,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
Whatever, so I generalized a bit. Don't worry about my brain capacity and life experience. I've got plenty of both.
Ignorance is bliss.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I agree, but the majority of those bashing the poor have done so with a blanket statement, without differentiating between someone who fell on hard times and is temporarily in a bad place financially and someone who is stupid and lazy and does not take care of their responsibilities. The fact that someone is taking their child to daycare and complaining about the cost would indicate that the person does have a job. Making some bad choices does not mean that you are stupid, lazy or irrespobsible.

Every human being has made a mistake or bad choice at some point in life, the difference is that everyone's mistake doesn't result in a life long consequence. Lots of people have broken laws, had unprotected sex or just made a bade choice but it didn't result in a baby, a disease or conviction every time. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't make you the judge and the jury.

There are plenty of people who were once unskilled, unmarried and poor who are now skilled and financially stable. Those people oncefit into the group that are constantly getting bashed by certain people, but they did indeed do something for themselves and their child(ren) and took care of their reponsibilities. Some of the poor are future success stories and calling all of them stupid and lazy is stupid and narrow minded.
No argument there, more or less.

I was attempting to differentiate between the two.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,279,135 times
Hey...childcare is a tax credit anyway.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM

912 posts, read 1,329,800 times
Keep your legs closed.No kids.No childcare issues.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,279,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I will agree if you ad, "and your pants zipped".

Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,263,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
You obviously have not read the thread, nor put any thought into the issue. People can already have children and become poor. What should they do with their existing children when their financial status changes? Cook them and eat them for dinner?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
How about just using birth control? Sex is very pleasant. Most sane people would agree. And you can have tons of it without having kids if you take some very simple precautions.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,263,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
How about just using birth control? Sex is very pleasant. Most sane people would agree. And you can have tons of it without having kids if you take some very simple precautions.
But that doesn't do much for the kids that are already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies