Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times

Advertisements

Here is a truly disturbing story out of Missouri. The reporting is based on the lawsuit filed by the girl and her mother, so no real fact-finding has gone on yet, as far as I can tell.

Here's the story.

To summarize, this middle school special ed girl reported that a boy had sexually assaulted and raped her in the 2008-2009 school year. Even though schools are mandated reporters, this school did not report the incident for investigation, and browbeat the girl into recanting - and then made her write an apology to her rapist and hand-deliver it to him. She was then expelled for the rest of the school year and referred to juvenile justice for "making a false report".

The next school year, she was allowed back. Her mother requested that her daughter be kept separate from this boy, due to the history of abuse and rape. The school denied this request. The girl was harassed and afraid to report it - after all, the school had expelled her last year for reporting it. Finally, the boy dragged her into the back of the library and raped her.

She reported it to the school, who did not report as they are mandated to do, and told her that they did not believe her. Her mother took her in to get a rape kit done, and evidence of rape was found, as well as semen matching the boy's DNA. He pled guilty to unnamed charges.

Now the school is saying that she should have done a better job of protecting herself, and they hadn't done anything wrong.

What do you think?

For further reading - the PDF of the lawsuit, and the PDF of the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thoght no real fact finding hasd gone on yet/Then you proceed to layout supposed facts.You do realise that once a suit is filed that the suing attorney immediate calls a reporter he know owes him favors for being a source.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thoght no real fact finding hasd gone on yet/Then you proceed to layout supposed facts.You do realise that once a suit is filed that the suing attorney immediate calls a reporter he know owes him favors for being a source.
I simply summarized the story for those who didn't want to read it. Read the article and the PDF's for the full details. I am not saying these are adjudicated facts.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
I will tell you what I think. If that was my middle school daughter (or any of my friends daughters or family members daughters), that would boy would not be alive now.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I will tell you what I think. If that was my middle school daughter (or any of my friends daughters or family members daughters), that would boy would not be alive now.
As angry as I'd be at the boy, I'd be just as angry at the school. I cannot imagine mandated reporters NOT reporting two separate incidents that they allegedly were informed of - and I'd be willing to bet there's some paper to prove they knew.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Now the school is saying that she should have done a better job of protecting herself, and they hadn't done anything wrong.

What do you think?
Children shouldn't be expected to protect themselves from school administrators blaming kids for their own adult incompetence. This is the second story I've heard- last one being an incident between teen agers in Silsbee Texas.

Apparently red state kids are only good for cannon fodder/ groomed for prostitution as early as possible so why educate them? Herd the masses of parents frightened for the safety of their kids into home schooling, thereby, justifying the abolishment of the public education system. Banana Republican plan 101.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
As angry as I'd be at the boy, I'd be just as angry at the school. I cannot imagine mandated reporters NOT reporting two separate incidents that they allegedly were informed of - and I'd be willing to bet there's some paper to prove they knew.
Justice would be served letting this girls parents decide the fate of these administrators.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
If that were my daughter this School would be mince meat no doubt. I would contact who i needed to get publicity, i would contact my local media stations, news outlets and papers. As i have done in the past believe me it works.

The school has problems, and i fault them for not looking into the allegations, it is as if they did not even believe this young girl, how sad. This were my daughter, that school i would make them go thru hell, i would be there everday telling them what i thought of them with the News Stations, on your side, etc. And there would be a lawsuite against this School, District, and Teacher And the boy needs some sort of punishment for his age.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Here is a truly disturbing story out of Missouri. The reporting is based on the lawsuit filed by the girl and her mother, so no real fact-finding has gone on yet, as far as I can tell.

Here's the story.

To summarize, this middle school special ed girl reported that a boy had sexually assaulted and raped her in the 2008-2009 school year. Even though schools are mandated reporters, this school did not report the incident for investigation, and browbeat the girl into recanting - and then made her write an apology to her rapist and hand-deliver it to him. She was then expelled for the rest of the school year and referred to juvenile justice for "making a false report".

The next school year, she was allowed back. Her mother requested that her daughter be kept separate from this boy, due to the history of abuse and rape. The school denied this request. The girl was harassed and afraid to report it - after all, the school had expelled her last year for reporting it. Finally, the boy dragged her into the back of the library and raped her.

She reported it to the school, who did not report as they are mandated to do, and told her that they did not believe her. Her mother took her in to get a rape kit done, and evidence of rape was found, as well as semen matching the boy's DNA. He pled guilty to unnamed charges.

What do you think?

For further reading - the PDF of the lawsuit, and the PDF of the response.
I think that it further strengthens the idea that parents should embrace the idea of homeschooling, and not depend on glorified government daycare to keep the kids safe.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think that it further strengthens the idea that parents should embrace the idea of homeschooling, and not depend on glorified government daycare to keep the kids safe.
Most children who are sexually assaulted, molested, or murdered are victimized by someone they know - and I believe that most of these are family members. Who should the home-schooled children turn to in such cases?

The school certainly failed in this case, but that's not necessarily a condemnation of public schools in general. Just this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies