Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
...wow you guys even defend him on gaffes...
Did you defend Obama when he said there were 57 states? Do you think that was a gaffe or do you think Obama thinks there are 57 states

It's true that during a May 9, 2008 campaign stop in Oregon, Barack Obama said he had visited 57 states. The exact quote, as transcribed in the LA Times "Top of the Ticket" blog (and viewable on YouTube), went as follows:
"It is wonderful to be back in Oregon," Obama said. "Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."

Obama Said He Visited 'All 57 States' - Urban Legends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and can you argue Mexico is part of America, or do you think America is just USA, have you heard of America as even in South America and Central America or latin America? In the 4th grade we studied our state (whatever one we lived in) in the 5th grade we studied America, which included Canada, Mexico, Central and South America. In the 6th grade we studied the World. Maybe where you went to elementary school they didn't study georgraphy as much as we did.

NIta
After an aide pointed out that Juarez was part of Mexico, not the U.S.A. scary Perry corrected himself. So all your rhetoric about South, Central and North America is meaningless since his correction clearly points out he was not talking about the continents but rather the U.S.A.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
After an aide pointed out that Juarez was part of Mexico, not the U.S.A. scary Perry corrected himself. So all your rhetoric about South, Central and North America is meaningless since his correction clearly points out he was not talking about the continents but rather the U.S.A.
did it occur to you he was then, just clarifying his statement by saying, Yes Juarez is in Mexico. Do you really, now be honest, think he thought Juarez wa in the USA? You can dislike him, your choice, you can think he is lacking in intelligence, your choice, you can think what you want, but he was born and raised in Texas. Beleive me, everyone in Texas knows where Juarez in located.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 08-18-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Spoiler
The violence is spilling over the border into the US...I think that is what he meant.

Mexicos problem becomes our problem at those border cities.

You could practically throw a rock from El Paso & hit Jaurez. That's how close they are.

Either that or he's playing mind games with you Liberals.
Apparently lost on SF.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
did it occur to you he was then, just clarifying his statement by saying, Yes Juarez is in Mexico. Do you really, not be honest, think he thought Juarez wa in the USA? You can dislike him, your choice, you can think he is lacking in intelligence, your choice, you can think what you want, but he was born and raised in Texas. Beleive me, everyone in Texas knows where Juarez in located.

Nita
Unlike leftards, who can't even explain where those additional seven states are located.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:45 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And yet, he's still wrong, since El Paso is not the most dangerous city in the United States, regardless of its proximity and spillover from Juarez.

And sorry little DrummerBoy, but no right wing fundamentalist theocrat is going to win the Presidency. You may want a theocracy ruled by the American Taliban, but most Americans don't. You're a minority.
We'll see.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
hahaha

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson1977 View Post
Yeah, or Rick Perry is just straight-up retarded, like a previous Texas governor I could mention.
Yeah Ann Richards was another sorry Democratic Texas governor, the 39th to serve our state actually.

Bush beat that old bat by a landslide 54% after her first term in office.

I do thank her however for bringing a Republican majority to the US Senate with her defeat.

Ann Richards - "Poor George, he was born with a silver foot in his mouth"

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-18-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The funny thing is I don't think it was a goof at all.

See my first post.
We will add it to the number of states obama thinks the U.S. has and Bush's problem with Texas, Tennessee, and quotes,
Quote:
Bush - "There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably Tennessee, that says 'Fool me once [pause], shame on…shame on you. [Long pause] Fool me. [Pause] You can't get fooled again.' ".
Not a one needs our help to look foolish.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
See it?? Hell people at the El Paso courthouse can get hit with gunshots from Juarez:
El Paso City Hall Struck By Bullets; Gunshots Believed To Have Come From Juarez - News Story - KVIA El Paso

Last week, kids practicing football at a high school in El Paso had to duck gunfire from Juarez:
Bowie High School: Juárez gunfire prompts review of campus security - El Paso Times

I think Perry just misspoke. But for any liberals that doubt whether violence in Juarez affects El Paso, I recommend visiting the border. Perhaps spend a night or two on the Mexico side- where there is no longer a police force because the drug gangs keep killing them:
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico: Troubled Town’s Police Force Quits After Fatal Attacks By Gunmen « Citizen's Free Press Ireland: News Line

But focussing on a misspeak can keep the focus off Obama's failed border policies and the fact that US citizens are dodging Mexican gunfire in El Paso.
This liberal lives 45 miles from El Paso. Yes, there have been isolated incidents, but, people are not routinely "dodging Mexican gunfire in El Paso." I feel safer spending a day in El Paso than I would spending a day in Newark, NJ.

Conservatives can try to paint a picture of El Paso as being gripped by uncontrolled violence, however, despite what is going on across the border, El Paso remains one of the safest cities in the U.S. Any idea how many murders have taken place in El Paso so far this year? Fourteen. That's right. Fourteen. Yes, sadly, that is an increase from last year's total of five (5), but still amazing for a city this size.

"El Paso is among the safest big cities in America. For the better part of the last decade, only Honolulu has had a lower violent crime rate (El Paso slipped to third last year, behind New York). Men's Health magazine recently ranked El Paso the second "happiest" city in America, right after Laredo, Texas—another border town, where the Hispanic population is approaching 95 percent."

The El Paso Miracle - Reason Magazine

As for the OP, well, I think I'm more surprised that he even knows that El Paso is in Texas. I mean, it's not like he actually pays attention to what goes on there, or anywhere else on the border for that matter:

"In recent remarks about border security , Perry suggested that the U.S. should use the same predator drones for border patrol that we use in combat abroad. The governor somehow missed that this has already been happening — in his own state, no less — for two years."

My favorite part:
"And it’s been over six months since DHS Secretary Napolitano gave a major speech announcing that Customs and Border Protection had Predators covering the entire southwest border, from the El Centro sector of California all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. She even gave the speech in El Paso! "

After 10 Years As Governor, Rick Perry Doesn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies