Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Perhaps because he promised them something he has not delivered. What hope and what good change have these people experienced under Obama. With unemployment figures at a all time high this morning as of AUGUST FIGURES over 408,000. I heard last night for the first time so many school age children, have both parents out of work, and going to get much worse. Have a job cherish it.
What did he promise me? I am black. I even voted for him, I didn't hear that he promised me anything.

Hope and Change were a slogan, nothing more IMO. I can't speak for other people who voted for him but that was my whole take on it just like any other politician with a political slogan. Also, I don't think the slogan was just for black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
I'm reluctant to join in on one of these straight-out anti-liberal (or anti-conservative) threads, but now I've clicked the POST REPLY button and have an area to fill with text.

I voted for Obama. I mean, I was not wild about Obama but my other main choice was McCain and Palin. When Obama got elected, the anchors on a black-oriented network that I had tuned into were giddy with glee. "Now we can widen Affirmative Action and get reparations," they proclaimed.

"Not going to happen," I muttered to the TV anchors.

Obama was never going to be a president specifically for the black folks. If I thought for a second his policies or presidential actions were designed with specifically black people in mind, he never would have gotten my vote.

The problem with black unemployment comes down to two things. One; a bad economy. Jobs are hard to come by for everyone. Two; many black folks are not part of the larger culture and therefore have fewer job options and consequently, are more damaged by a weak economy.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:51 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
America will always need a bad guy. It's not hard to put two and two together, we don't speak on positives only negatives.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Regarding the original question

1. He has their vote already.
2. Not enough black people in the hood would put up with scripted questions.
3. It's a no win situation for him. But would have much to lose if he went.
4. Black people are more valuable beating up whitey - from his perspective. Think about it.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Liberals prefer grey areas to black and white.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I guess they should support Bachmann, who thinks slavery was good for black people.
Black folks can support whomever they like but when you support one party so overwhelmingly prepare to be ignored by both parties. That's just reality. So while Rep. Walters is right the President is ignoring the black community he is doing so because he can. Just like the next President whether Dem or GOP will also ignore the black community. Essentially Black people have ceded whatever political capital they had long ago.

An example of this is to compare how Obama and other pols treat the black community to how they treat the Hispanic community. Both parties are tripping over themselves to court the group. Meanwhile in the hood......it's crickets and flash mobs.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:23 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
After all, the black community has been especially hit hard by his policies.

I guess he doesn't want to face them?

Maybe he's taking them for granted?

Maybe he's afraid of some backlash?

For the 1st time ever, I agree with maxine waters!

Maybe he does,nt want to be "flash mobbed". Oh wait , that can,t be it he,s the wrong skin color.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The only plantation is in your mind.

By the way in the last 50 years the poverty rate for Black American has decreased by 50% while the population of Black American has more than doubled. During that same time span the number of Black American with 4 year college degrees or graduate degrees grew three times faster than the overall population for Black Americans. There were no Black CEO's of Fortune 500 fifty years ago in the past 20 years there have been 15 to 20. Fifty years there were hardly any Black Americans in cabinet levels positions in the federal goverment since then there have been numerous.

The reality is in the last fifty years the number of middle class and affluent Black Americans has grown substantially.

The only people that use the word "plantation" in relation to Black Americans in the 21st century are those still stuck in a 19th master-slave paradigm.
Finally a black person speaks out for them and what they have accomplished in that period. Now how about telling us what the Democrats have done for those black people you talk about.

Anyone who doesn't know about the statistics you said is still back in that period you listed and they aren't all Republicans either. I guess you realize that most of the black people who didn't vote for Obama are in the groups you speak of who have worked their way out of the "hood". I am about as proud of them as you are.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
better than we were when we were part of the literal plantation......
I see that you can't even copy liberal.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
you could say the poor rural whites who religiously vote republican throughout the midwest and appalachia are on the plantation as well.

you could say states or counties that religiously vote dem or repub are on the dem or repub plantation.

apparently to be on the plantation you have to vote for them year in and year out.

whats the difference between a republican religiously voting red and a democrat religiously voting blue?

there both on the "plantation"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies