Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,135,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Lol. Exactly.
Oops, meant that the other way around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,991,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Drill for gas somewhere else. It's not going to solve our energy problems anyways.

I don't know where hybrid cars came into the discussion, but I'm not a fan of them anyways.
Yeah and going "green" will?? And everybody growing soap plants will save the world. I guess you won't be happy until we're back to whaling.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:48 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah and going "green" will?? And everybody growing soap plants will save the world. I guess you won't be happy until we're back to whaling.
There's no long term future in fossil fuels.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,075 times
Quote:
I guess nobody here washes their hair or mows their grass because petroleum is used in shampoo and well grass was given to us by the creator. How are you folks even on a computer? How many weeds were dug to run that fiber all over the country?
Silly goose, the root system of grasses allow it to be cut and then shoot right back up. Surprised, I thought even you would have know that one.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
There's no long term future in fossil fuels.
How long have folks been yelping that very same thing? As long as I can remember. We supposedly hit "peak oil" in the seventies and we still keep finding more and more. That is even with the EPA and enviro loons chasing around exxon trucks like John Edwards after an ambulance looking to sue for every beetle or twig that they turn over. No I think we're fine for plenty of time. When somebody comes up with an alt energy that makes sense and is cost effective all the better. Until then drill baby drill.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Silly goose, the root system of grasses allow it to be cut and then shoot right back up. Surprised, I thought even you would have know that one.
You ever dug a trench to lay fiber maverick?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
How long have folks been yelping that very same thing? As long as I can remember. We supposedly hit "peak oil" in the seventies and we still keep finding more and more. That is even with the EPA and enviro loons chasing around exxon trucks like John Edwards after an ambulance looking to sue for every beetle or twig that they turn over. No I think we're fine for plenty of time. When somebody comes up with an alt energy that makes sense and is cost effective all the better. Until then drill baby drill.
U.S. production has peaked and declined. We don't have enough domestic reserves to support our consumption for more than a relatively short time period.

Global production has either peaked or will soon. Demand from developing nations including China and India is rising. There's not enough for this to continue much longer. The most optimistic estimates of the decline after peak oil is 2020, others suggest earlier.

You should stop trusting oil company propaganda. It's in their best interest to keep people convinced they need to use it, and to extract every last drop before the house of cards falls down.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,483,757 times
Why is it OK that we can damage our environment, with the expectation that our children will just clean it up, but it's totally unacceptable that our children will have to deal with our national debt?

If I were inheriting property from my parents, I'd much rather deal with a mortgage than a spent gas well, and contaminated soils in the back yard.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
U.S. production has peaked and declined. We don't have enough domestic reserves to support our consumption for more than a relatively short time period.

Global production has either peaked or will soon. Demand from developing nations including China and India is rising. There's not enough for this to continue much longer. The most optimistic estimates of the decline after peak oil is 2020, others suggest earlier.

You should stop trusting oil company propaganda. It's in their best interest to keep people convinced they need to use it, and to extract every last drop before the house of cards falls down.
Like I said folks have been saying the same thing since the '70's. We should be out by now according to them. Exxon just found a billion barrels in the gulf. Keep preaching the doom and gloom because your bound to be right someday though.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Why is it OK that we can damage our environment, with the expectation that our children will just clean it up, but it's totally unacceptable that our children will have to deal with our national debt?

If I were inheriting property from my parents, I'd much rather deal with a mortgage than a spent gas well, and contaminated soils in the back yard.
Why don't you ask your parents why they're drilling for gas in your backyard? How many people do you know that have oil wells in their backyards or coal pits or nat gas wells? I don't know any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies